Forest of Dean

Couldn't see a thread about this fantastic 'rolling' sportive? So I thought I would start one...

Looking forward to it again this year and of course an extra climb! :P

woo hoo !!
“Look where you want to go. Not where you are going”

Comments

• lemon63
    lemon63 Posts: 253
    I knew there was something missing from this ride, an extra climb !!
    Can't wait :o
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Where is there space for another climb?
    exercise.png
  • MRadd
    MRadd Posts: 205
    Always space for an extra climb in the forest... I should know... I bloody live there! Quite why I've paid £25 for a ride I could've done anyway still beats me...

Should be a good one! I'm looking forward to it. As is the old man.

Weather looks interesting, warm, but with rain in the morning. Hmm... methinks extra tubes are needed going by my experience of neutral servicing at the Princess Risborough sportive last week. I think I fixed about 30 odd punctures that day!

Do we know if there is a support vehicle following?
    : "Why don't i remember breaking my face?" :

: Semi Professional Grease Monkey, Full time Tea boy... :
  • Hugh A
    Hugh A Posts: 1,189
    TheStone wrote:
    Where is there space for another climb?

Ha! Yes I was rather wondering that myself - I remember pretty much every bit being either up or down. Still, kind of looking forward to it.
    I\'m sure I had one of those here somewhere
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    "Weather looks interesting, warm, but with rain in the morning"
    Met Office is giving wet, windy and cold now.....for Ross anyway.

This will be 3rd time lucky if I ride, Year 1. Flu,Year 2. MTB acciodent, Year 3 this year OK??
  • MRadd
    I won't be following your wheel then James! Just in case...

Weather seems to be changing daily for sunday. May have to pack 3 pairs of gloves (1 wet, 1 long, 1 mitts) just to be on the safe side!

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I cramped badly on Bull hill (I think its called that) and satyed in the saddle for symonds yat, horrible horrible but bloody good sportive. :D
  • Campervan27
    Campervan27 Posts: 137
    Am I correct in thinking they are still accepting entries at the door?? I live in Monmouth and fancy a bit of random torture this weekend and also have a very occassional pass from the bos :)
    Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.
  • TheStone
    Am I correct in thinking they are still accepting entries at the door?? I live in Monmouth and fancy a bit of random torture this weekend and also have a very occassional pass from the bos :)

Yep, from their last email:
    Signing on will commence at 7am until 9am. Entries will be accepted on the day at £30. You will be able to collect your Bike and Back Numbers, Electronic Timing Chips and goody bags. Please allow time to complete your rear number medical information and fit your timing chip and bike number to your bike. NO NUMBER NO RIDE!

Weather not looking very good, but I do really like this ride.
    exercise.png
  • Campervan27
    No excuses there then? apart the impending rain, nasty headwind and threat of being "worzeled" in the forest.

:lol:
    Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.
  • Campervan27
    No excuses there then? apart the impending rain, nasty headwind and threat of being "worzeled" in the forest.

:lol:
  • JamesB
    and if you look at forecast on Metcheck heavu sleet and cold NE wind may also be a tad unpleasant :( , but as has been said forecast is changing all the time
  • pantsani
    pantsani Posts: 114
    I'm based in Chepstow and think I'm going enter on the day and wuss it if the weather's really grim on Sunday morning

The beeb are forecasting it clearing up on Sunday so fingers crossed
  • MRadd
    Think I'm going to bring every bit of kit I own so I can prepare for whatever conditions our dear mother nature throws at us..

Any one interested in forming up a riding group? To enable us to Laugh our way through the route?

• acidstrato
    acidstrato Posts: 945
    fair play to anyone that decides to go along and EOL with the impending weather forecast

I'm far to less of a man and far, far to tight arsed to pay to ride the roads that I live next too. should be a great ride aslong as you dont let the wind and rain bum you out. Just keep laughing boys and when you cant do that, then grit your teeth and have a snickers :twisted:
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • Campervan27
    second thoughts are telling me to jump on the iron horse instead hook up through symonds yat through the forest paths and play around in the mud for a few hours.
    8)
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    MRadd wrote:
    Think I'm going to bring every bit of kit I own so I can prepare for whatever conditions our dear mother nature throws at us..

Any one interested in forming up a riding group? To enable us to Laugh our way through the route?

Only if you promise to go really, really slow?

Otherwise, I'll be on a 85mile lone breakaway to glory 8)

Strava is not Zen.
  • Campervan27
    For all your foresters out there.... Its p*ssing it down here !! Just started and not looking or smelling like its going to pass for a while.
    :?

Pain is only temporary.
  • Philby
    Philby Posts: 328
    Just wondering whether to put the recently taken-off mudguards back on. Like above I think I'm going to bring my entire cycling wardrobe - the weather forecasts seem to be conflicting each other, though look better than they did a couple of days ago.
  • JamesB
    If nothing else roads will be soaking wet from the rain going through now and overnight---along with cool temps and strong NE wind I`m certainly riding my training / winter bike with full guards and bringing cold weather clothing
  • Campervan27
    Just been out to Chippy park where the Classic starts from... The rain has subsided, but it feels really quite chilly out there. its really cloudy and damp to the point of expectation of thunderstorms galore. Never seen so many people on Chippy staring at the sky.... Its going to be a wet night gentlemen, which is good if you're with a woman but bad if you're in the forest !!!

8)
  • pantsani
    pantsani Posts: 114
    Weather forecast looks like it will p1ss down tonight and brighten up from early morning onwards , but we will have a constant strong NE'ly wind which will be cold.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/ ... a=Monmouth

So from a cycling perspective looks like there will be a bit of standing water on't road and maybe chance of light rain at the start, but dry and the odd bit of sunshine after, but deffo on the chilly side.

But that's it, no dramas eh, I'll be there ( with extra jersey & tights). :lol:
  • MRadd
    Ouch, I ache...

6Hr 23mins... Bronze.. :(

• Campervan27
    Dude !!! At least you got round... I ditched the idea the minute the heavens opened last night Peroni won last night followed by a cinema trip avec les enfants to Nanny McPhee, and stuffed my face with cola bottles (fizzy)....
    8)
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    MRadd wrote:
    Ouch, I ache...

6Hr 23mins... Bronze.. :(

Compared to me you raced round! 7hr19min.

I'm just happy I didn't walk any hills.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • MRadd
    DesWeller wrote:

Compared to me you raced round! 7hr19min.

I'm just happy I didn't walk any hills.

I walked um 2.... Nearly walked all of Symonds Yat, but wasn't going to let that hill defeat me. Especially with the crowds at the top! Really good mental boost.

• lemon63
    lemon63 Posts: 253
    I forgot how hard it was, but still glad I didn't bail out when I saw the weather first thing.
    6hrs30, not bad for an old fellla. :?
    Did anyone else see the wild boar on Ruardean Hill, 2 big uns with about 6 little uns, awesome.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    I could have done with a calendar rather than garmin to log my time. At least I didn't walk, alhough on that git of a hill with the gravel, walking would have been quicker.

Missed the boar. Nearly rode over a dead badger tho!

Strava is not Zen.
  • stevo1602
    stevo1602 Posts: 43
    Oh was it a wild boar family? I thought it was a local family out for a pic nic. :D
  • TheStone
    Gave up and took a 'direct' route back from the final feed.

Was going ok, but didn't really enjoy it. Got wet/cold early on and didn't really improve.

Forgot how hilly that place is.
    exercise.png