Map my ride on iphone abroad

stokepa31
stokepa31 Posts: 559
Hi All

Im doing London Paris this coming thursaday and want to use the mapmyride app on the iphone to track the route and feed it to my twitter account so the folks back home can see my progress.

ive heard that data charges abroad are pretty steep but have found out i can get an O2 bolt on of 20mb for £20. my question is does anyone know if the phone is permanently connected to the net when using this app or does it just upload your progress (set to do this every 4 miles) and then disconnect again.

dont want to end up racking up a huge bill

cheers
Paul
Burning Fat Not Rubber

Scott CR1
Genesis IO ID
Moda Canon

Comments

• Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I am not sure if the free version has it but the app called motion x has the ability to load into memory open source maps so it doesnt need the cell network to download them on the fly. Not sure if France is mapped as I haven't tried it, I have loaded them in for my commute and a few others, you can adjust how many zoom levels you download too.

Not sure if that's any help though.
  • sagalout
    sagalout Posts: 338
    The amount of data it would need to send to update your position would be tiny, so the bolt-on would be fine. Whether the battery will last is another matter!

Also, make sure you order the bolt-on in plenty of time - I rang up the night before a flight and they told me they couldnt do it as you need to allow up to 24 hours for activation, and your phone has to be in this country for that to work.