2011 predictions

supersonic
supersonic Posts: 82,708
edited April 2010 in MTB general
A few thoughts on what we might see for next {this} year.

- Prices to stabilise. After a few years of an upward spiral and worse specs, I think it will level off.

- Peaty to retire from the World Cup after going out in style with a win.

- Shimano to make a carbon freehub body with steel splines.

- Rockshox to kill off the Tora or Reba in an effort to simplify the range.

- Revelations with carbon steerers.

- OE 9 speed will be thin on the ground - most will spec 8 or 10.

- Marzocchi to get back on song.

TBC

Comments

• Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    The one I wanna see...The Queens funeral.

Can't wait !
  • supersonic
    Nah, Brian May will be here forever.
  • Splottboy
    Yep, he probably will.

But I won't get a day off work for him. If she times it right, could be long-weekend !
  • supersonic
    Yeah, she should plan it for the nation!

She will outlive Charlie though I reckon.
  • Halfords/Carrera/Boardman to get even better and even more value for money.

I went and saw the new aggressor 2 today in halfords and its a bloody nice machine for £500!
  • supersonic
    Oooh, not seen that, is it on the website? What bits on it?
  • supersonic wrote:
    Oooh, not seen that, is it on the website? What bits on it?
    nope tis in the shop!

Loverly LOVERLY paint job.
    XCR forks, Truvativ cranks (iso something?) Juicy brakes... can't remember what gearing/mech but it looked bloody good!
  • wait.

I think I fail!!
    Looking at the halfords site it much have been the '09!
    Swear it had juicy breaks though!

Still... was a great looking machine!
  • Splottboy
    Any diffferences in the Aggressor or Zaskar frames?
    Can't remember the other GT frame name...

Just need commmuter/day to day frame-bike, cheapo.
    Got everything else, so would strip it etc.
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    Tbh I think Peaty will never stop! :lol:
  • M6TTF
    M6TTF Posts: 602
    Higher spec bikes with no price increase. Trek to fit carbon down tube protectors to the ex range to curb the massive dents mine has acquired!
  • oooo I know something that will happen in 2011!!

Orange will make a "new" 5.... but it will be exactly the same as this year, a bit pricier and will win the MBR bike of the year award :lol:
  • Rachel Atherton to win WC and worlds/

Steve Peat to bow it in a blaze of glory while sticking it to Sam Hill.

I shall continue to crash every time I try to do something I know I shouldn't.

Rob Warner to upset many races and nations whilst commentating.

Nuke Proof's DH bike will become a weapon of choice for many :-D
    I use all 9 inches.

Sabrina
  • Splottboy
    We'll all be a bit older.

Unless you die, of course.
  • M6TTF
    M6TTF Posts: 602
    All the major manufacturers to bring more than half a dozen 29ers into the uk!!!
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    Orange will make a "new" 5.... but it will be exactly the same as this year, a bit pricier and will win the MBR bike of the year award :lol:

:lol:

It'll be a little bit different. Tapered head tube and ISCG mounts. The RS Sektor will make a great fork for the entry level 5, and I expect that same fork to show up on a lot of heavy duty trail / AM bikes.
  • Rohloff release a newer lighter hub thats still bloody expensive but just as awesome.

SRAM release a 12 speed hub gear, as always one better than shimano ;)

Gates carbon drives start appearing on more bikes

Nicolai finaly get a financial backer for BBox ( think hammerschmidt but more german,if thats possible)

Shimano Di2 becomes available on off the peg MTB's not just blue peter style.

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    bike prices stay the same but kit improves, sram take over from shimano as major gear maker, tapered headtubes and bolt thru rears become the industry standard, 29ers die out, i start working full time at the LBS :lol: oh and fox forks will be become more popular than rockshox :wink:
  • supersonic
    Splottboy wrote:

The Zaskar is steeper, longer and lighter.
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    pike to be ditched and trek to change there sus design like spesh have.
  • supersonic
    Trek pretty much have done this though with the ABP. The axle paths are nigh on identical.

This works with having the brake caliper on the four bar bit. Specialized only invented the FSR to improve braking - and whether you can feel it or not is another thing lol.
  • Splottboy
    Carbon frames will have "Splottolite", a thin vaneer of sprayed titanium on them. making it bomb-proof.

All tyres will be Tubeless, and there will be a simple air-pressured adaptor that pumps air into them via the forks, frame, hollow hub and spokes.
    Slicks as standard. One press, then it's a Semislick. Two presses , full Knobblies.

Single pivot frames will be as supple as 4-bars, without locking up on braking.

Sus forks will be sub 3lbs for up to 5ins travel.

No derailleurs, front or rear. Electronic shifting, totally weather proof. Solar powered.

My brain hurts...
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Splottboy
    In 8 months time? :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    Everything stays pretty much the same but clever marketing causes everyone to believe its all 4000% better then the previous years models.

I post something on a forum without getting instantly insulted by someone who can't spell and didn't bother to read what I wrote properly in the first place.

Manufacturers try to persuade people that the trails they rode last year now need an extra 20mm of travel, and add a few new types of riding/bikes. All trail, Hardcore Mountain, XC Trail, Free Mountain, etc. etc.

Everyone realises that Continental Rubber Queens run tubeless are the best tyre for everything that falls between DH and XC.

Full sus riders finally see the light, grow beards, and sell their bikes to buy lots of rigid singlespeeders.
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    supersonic wrote:
    Splottboy wrote:

The Zaskar is steeper, longer and lighter.

Aggressor is the same a the Avalanche the Zaskar is a different beast altogether.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    Everyone realises that Continental Rubber Queens run tubeless are the best tyre for everything that falls between DH and XC.

For everyone that likes 800g+ tyres you mean? Surely you're over tyred for the riding you do?

Get a 'grip' RM you're becoming boring.
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    RealMan wrote:
    I post something on a forum without getting instantly insulted by someone who can't spell and didn't bother to read what I wrote properly in the first place.

Can't wait.
  • Splottboy
    I told you my brain hurts!
    They laughed at Galilleo, they laughed at Copurnicus, they laughed at Lee Evans !
    Not in 8mths, but some day Boyo, some day... ( Looks wistfully into the distance...)

Who'd have thought you've probably got more computer power in your phone than NASA had for getting Man on the moon. ( Possibly untrue, but you know what I mean.)

Things move on sooooo fast. Probably there's tech being tested now that we won't see for another few years. Watch this space !!!

( Must remember, Avalanche/Aggressor the same. Zaskar different.)
    Thanks all.
  • SDK2007
    SDK2007 Posts: 782
    Samm Hill to win every DH WCup & the WChamps :wink:
  • weescott
    weescott Posts: 453
    After the rubbish winter we had more people take up mountain biking and racing XC. Lots more 40 somethings in Lycra on the trail! :shock: Prices come down the following year as a result. 2nd hand bike values plumet.