Hill Training in the UK - ??????

Karl2010
Karl2010 Posts: 511
Where do you all do you hill training?

Hailing from Merseyside, I recently discoverd Vale Royal Borough, fantastic place to ride around by Delemere, Kelsal, Helsby. (wirral/chesire) Loads of hills, some around 14% Grade.

I also find Parbold Hill is a good one.

Thats it realy. Most of the better hills are in Wales and havnt had a chance to venture up there yet.

So what about you lot where are your favorite hills to ride?

Comments

• LittleB0b
    LittleB0b Posts: 416
    is wales not down from you? :)
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    The peak district and Yorkshire dales. Simples.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    outside my front door - 'simples'... ;)
  • Karl2010
    Karl2010 Posts: 511
    Little bob: Everything is up mate. It the optimist in me. :) Up=positive. Down=negitive. Its generaly quite flat around here. I have to do a few good miles before an decent hills. Vale Royal is the best ive found so far. (in my location)

Wanting it to warm up a bit more before i had off to Wales. Ive got a plan to go to Snake Pass (or is it horse shoe pass?) in Llangollen (spelling) when the weather improves. It'll be a good 100+ mile round trip from here i reacon. Also wanting to go to Ryder (spelling) and Bewts I Coed.

Appologies for the poor spelling of these places.
  • It's horseshoe pass.

Yeh from Liverpool, unless you take the ferry it's a bummer to get over to Wales without driving. If you're on the Wirral there are some great hills in easy reach.

Vale Royal is great for lots of short sharp hills (on my doorstep too). For more hills I head to Minera/Brymbo/Ruthin in North Wales.... Alternatively and as has been suggested I get over to the peaks for Cat & Fiddle, Mow Cop etc for punishment. Again these are quite a ride away for you, but it's doable.
  • Plenty of hills up the lake district

http://www.fredwhittonchallenge.org.uk/routemap.php

Would mean a trip out in the car or on the train.

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • The black mountains is only about 16 miles from me, I think that gets upto about 15% at some points on the way to it, other than that everywhere I go is a bloody hill. Damn Wales.
  • At my front door? Helps living at the blackdown hills.

:lol:
    The British Empire never died, it just moved to the Velodrome
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I'm another of the lucky ones with steep hills and quiet roads on my commute - the Highlands being the Highlands
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    For more hills I head to Minera/Brymbo/Ruthin in North Wales.... .

World's End then Horsehoe Pass was always a good run form Chester as a kid.

I now live near Huddersfield and have no need to search out hills! I just can't find any flat.

In fact I live on the route of the Brian Robinson Challenge and regularly ride all those roads, and many that are steeper (see the current thread in Sprtives for how hilly people thought it was!)
  • I live in North Dorset and I've got ZIg Zag hill, which although not steep, is like a mini Alp Du'ez.

There are plenty of steep hills in the area though, and it's nigh on impossible to have an 'easy' ride, as I live at the top of one!
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    Rede,Hawstead area and around Burthorpe are good ones for me around Suffolk.
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    Matlock - It's just uphill everywhere round there.
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    Karl2010 wrote:
    Where do you all do you hill training?

Hailing from Merseyside, I recently discoverd Vale Royal Borough, fantastic place to ride around by Delemere, Kelsal, Helsby. (wirral/chesire) Loads of hills, some around 14% Grade.
    ?
    I rode up Frodsham hill today - that's signposted as being 16% on one section.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    markos1963 wrote:
    Norfolk :wink:

A much overlooked training ground.... :wink:

You lot are lucky, a days ride to include some hills...

We have a good days drive, to find any hills!
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!