Confused - Please Help

gb155
gb155 Posts: 2,048
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
Last week I cycled a little over 100 miles and lost 4 lbs, This week I have already done 120 miles and I will finish on arounf 135 miles for the week, however the scales have not moved a single pound, now I have eaten the same this week as last week, gotten the same amouint of sleep etc and its not like I dont have the weight to lose ( I have another 5 stone to go at least if I base it on Gov guidelines) so why then in a week when I have cycled, further, faster and harder while eating the same have the scales not moved at all ?

Confused doesnt come close.

Gaz
On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
Now the hard work starts.

Comments

• attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Perhaps (and I'm no expert) you're putting on muscle mass as you lose the fat.

My weight seems to fluctate very little at the moment but I can see that I'm definitely less flabby than I was three months ago
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Could be worse. Mine goes up sometimes. No idea why. Hope that helps, although clearly it doesn't.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Tell me about it :evil:
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    this week I'll clock up about 175 miles in commuting. I doubt I'll lose any weight at all, mostly because (I guess) I'm:

a) used to it, the easy bit of weight loss happened 2.5 years ago when I started proper commuting;
    b) hungry as a result, so I eat.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,414
    Two thoughts: having lost 4lbs the previous week, you have been lugging around 4lbs less so - in theory - doing slightly less work + as Attica points out, you may well have put on some more muscle.

The second and more useful thought is that as well as keeping track of weight loss, you could keep an eye on a few key measurements. Your waist would be a good place to start, and a reduction in this is arguably more important than a drop in weight as it indicates that you are losing fat from around your main organs (where it's not really a good idea to store too much as I'm sure you know).
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    Attica is probably right, I've put on 4 lbs this week despite riding the same possibly eating less. I'm pretty certain my waist has stayed the same, and have come to the conclusion it's muscle mass as at least one pair of jeans feeld slightly tighter in the thigh. I was amazed the effect was so noticeable in a week or so.

Another option is that you're not in the optimum fat burning zone and so the fat isn't coming off quite so easily. That could be a side effet of being slightly lighter and going slightly further. Have you upped your average speed at all?
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    edited April 2010
    I think we get caught up on the calories burnt > calories consumed = weight loss formula.

There are lots of things that complicate this equation. Levels of hydration can lead to significant shifts in weight; what and when you eat can have a dramatic impact (even if overall calorie intake is constant) particularly in relation to when you're exercising; there is a lot of literature out there about blood sugar level and its impact on weight loss in the short and long term - this is controlled by the when and what you eat.

What I'm saying in short is that it's not as confusing as it may first seem.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    That 4lb could easily be attributable to fluid loss, or how long since you ate your last meal. You're better off looking at weight loss in the long term.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I weigh 80kg-ish but about 5 years ago I used to be about 73-75kg yet I was looking at photos from back then and my face is definitely a bit flabbier. I put the weight gain down to added muscle from the gym and cycling
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    Rich158 wrote:
    Attica is probably right, I've put on 4 lbs this week despite riding the same possibly eating less. I'm pretty certain my waist has stayed the same, and have come to the conclusion it's muscle mass as at least one pair of jeans feeld slightly tighter in the thigh. I was amazed the effect was so noticeable in a week or so.

4lbs of muscle in a week while riding a bike and not eating that much!! :shock: OK....
  • andyb78
    andyb78 Posts: 156
    Firstly, good work on last week's weight loss.

Sometimes you get odd plateaus - you may possibly find an even more dramatic weight loss next week.

+1 for the fluid thing and need to look at measurements rather than weight... I got very dispondent when I got down to 12.5 stone a couple of years ago then couldn't shift any more, but when I started taking measurements instead of looking solely at weight on the advice of a friend, I saw a different picture - 1" off waist in a month, more on the thighs than I would like to mention. :lol:
    Road bike FCN 6

Hardtail Commuter FCN 11 (Apparently, but that may be due to the new beard...)
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Just Google BMI bollocks and see what comes back :D

You need to have a series of indicators, not just weight to show whether you are losing fat (which let's face it, is what we're talking about here)

You should be taking accurate measurements of body dimensions as well as actual weight to see what is happening.

Alternately, you could've just killed the scales :wink:

(for the hard of humour I guarantee Gaz found that funny, even if you didn't :P )
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Mike400
    Mike400 Posts: 226
    Im finding that - the scales havent moved much in the past couple of weeks but my clothes are still getting looser and people are still commenting on my weight loss at work etc

My legs are getting really big and toned looking too, which im not complaining about so I reckon im still burning fat just building muscle

Struggling to get the stomach less flabby at the minute - ive lost weight everywhere but the belly seems to be the hardest to shift :(

My arms have got quite weedy looking - more toned but skinny, anyone else find the same?
    twitter @fat_cyclist
  • Kieran_Burns
    Your stomach is your Camels hump (so to speak) it's the first place to gain fat and the last place to lose it. Which is unfortunate as it's the generally the one place we look at the most when thinking we're over-weight :?

As for your arms, you need to dome some upper body exercising - cycling is great for general fitness but you'll be unbalanced if ALL you do is cycle.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Mike400 wrote:
    Im finding that - the scales havent moved much in the past couple of weeks but my clothes are still getting looser and people are still commenting on my weight loss at work etc

My legs are getting really big and toned looking too, which im not complaining about so I reckon im still burning fat just building muscle

Struggling to get the stomach less flabby at the minute - ive lost weight everywhere but the belly seems to be the hardest to shift :(

My arms have got quite weedy looking - more toned but skinny, anyone else find the same?

I do regular upper body weights at the gym to try to gain some balance!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    So has anyone made the comment that fat weighs (has a mass of - for the pedants) of 4 times as much as same volume of fat...

So you can slim down and weigh more...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • rjsterry
    I think Rich158 is probably on to something with the zones point. SCR, in which, I believe, you participate, is pretty rubbish for burning fat as it tends to be a series of sprints (at least in London that's the case). Long but steady (dare I say pootling) rides are the thing for burning fat.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Kieran_Burns
    MM - you might want to strategically edit your post :wink:

For the pedants: Muscle is 4 times denser than fat
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Simonb256
    Simonb256 Posts: 880
    Lol, contrary to popular belief it's not as simple as "if food in is less than exercise out, you'll loose weight".

There are lots of things to factor.

Firstly BMR, secondly what you are eating (carbs,protein,fat etc), muscle increase is possible but not that rapidly consideirng it didnt last week etc etc.

Weight is always easier to loose the first few weeks then loss per week slowly decreases.

I've been stuck at 14stone for over a year now and thats mainly as I dont eat/drink enough and what I do eat isnt that great for me.

*awaits torrent of people saying I'm wrong etc*
    "War is Peace; Freedom is Slavery; Ignorance is Strength." George Orwell - 1984
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Rich158 wrote:
    have come to the conclusion it's muscle mass

You wish Rich :p
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    Paulie W wrote:
    Rich158 wrote:

4lbs of muscle in a week while riding a bike and not eating that much!! :shock: OK....

Lol, just re-read that post!!! maybe not

My weight does fluctuate over the course of a week or so, I genrally bounce around the 150-155 lb mark, but I have noticed a definate trend upwards with an increase in mileage. The trend has continued as I've increased the effort and started racing. As my waist has stayed pretty much static I can only put this down to increased muscle mass. I say this because I've noticed some of my jeans are fealing a lot tighter arround the thighs than usual. The weight increase could also be down to increased fluid intake and better hydration generally as well.
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • gb155
    Looking back at my weight loss charts it seem I have a big week of losing (4-6lbs) then the following week always seems to be 1 or 2 lbs at max, is this normal ?

Thanks again all

• gb155
    Just Google BMI bollocks and see what comes back :D

You need to have a series of indicators, not just weight to show whether you are losing fat (which let's face it, is what we're talking about here)

You should be taking accurate measurements of body dimensions as well as actual weight to see what is happening.

Alternately, you could've just killed the scales :wink:

(for the hard of humour I guarantee Gaz found that funny, even if you didn't :P )

Is the correct answer, KB is THE man !!!!!! (Well half man, half hood I believe

• Kieran_Burns
    All Dark Lord I'll have you know.

dark-lord-of-the-sith-f.jpg

I hated my teddy bear
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    It's no good weighting yourself after you've trained as you've probably lost loads of water by sweating. You can only really know if you're losing weight by a monthly count. Weekly weights will vary.

You have to be very precise when weighting, for example, empty your bowels and bladder before, weight in the mornings and (of course) naked.

If you've lost 4lbs of fat in 1 week, it's probably wrong, sorry. Your body doesn't work like that. To get a full complete picture you need to get a full fat count at some sports clinics. I could lose 6lbs in weight next week, but it wont be all fat (I wish i could).
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    So has anyone made the comment that fat weighs (has a mass of - for the pedants) of 4 times as much as same volume of fat...

So you can slim down and weigh more...

but if we are being pedantic, you didn't express a unit - only a relationship. therefore this is just as true for weight as mass..... :P

I'm overlooking that you compared fat with fat, as I know you meant muscle/fat
  • wyadvd
    wyadvd Posts: 590
    i do around 150 miles a week. Im 75 kilos and everyone has been looking sideways at me since i started cycling and telling me i look like ive lost weight. Fact is ive put on 2 or 3 kilos. My torso looks even skinnier, but my legs have aquired two tennis balls just above the knees and my upper legs appear to have gained six inches in girth. I have a six pack where once was the beginnings of what some people affectionately call ' relaxed muscle' (beer gut). I never thought my body could transform so quickly. I eat like an absolute horse now btw.
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    If we keep the calculations simple. Anyone argue against this (keep in simple, please).

It takes 3500 calories to burn 1lb of fat, therefore the original poster lost 4lbs so 4x3500 = 14,000 calories required to burn 4lbs.

If I cycle (at 15mph with 75kg body) I burn approx 600 calories per hour. So, for me to burn 4lb of fat off I must have cycled for 23.3 hours (350miles). (and this includes no food intake during that period).
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • rjsterry
    wyadvd wrote:
    i do around 150 miles a week. Im 75 kilos and everyone has been looking sideways at me since i started cycling and telling me i look like ive lost weight. Fact is ive put on 2 or 3 kilos. My torso looks even skinnier, but my legs have aquired two tennis balls just above the knees and my upper legs appear to have gained six inches in girth. I have a six pack where once was the beginnings of what some people affectionately call ' relaxed muscle' (beer gut). I never thought my body could transform so quickly. I eat like an absolute horse now btw.

Sounds very familiar.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    rjsterry wrote:
    wyadvd wrote:

Sounds very familiar.

+1 ish. Except my weight hasn't changed. There are 3 things in life that are certain - death, taxes and the constancy of my body weight. Dunno what is happening to all the food I eat but I come in from work, spend the evening stuffing my face and still weigh less than 10 stone.
    Faster than a tent.......