Forum home Road cycling forum Training, fitness and health

Drugs to control blood lipid profile

SteveR_100MilersSteveR_100Milers Posts: 5,987
I was diagnosed with hypertriglyceridemia about 5 years ago, and was prescribed fenofibrate to control excessively high triglycerides in the bl;ood. I was also prescribed atorvastatin to control a slightly high cholestrol level, but I have agreed with my GP that I do not take this for 6 months when racing as I know it has a significantly deleterious effect on my exercise performance.
I am beginning to wonder if the fenofibrate has a similar effect, as the training I am doing has done does not seem to be having much benefit. Although at up to 90% effort (not heart rate, I am talking about relative to TT threshold effort) I am getting quicker, my times for training loops are coming down, but at 100% TT effort there is little improvement. This was the same effect I saw with statins.
How does the body metabolise fat that is in the blood stream - is this "burnt" during exercise? I wonder therefore that by signifcantly reducing this fuel level it is effectively starving the muscles of energy that my body is expecting to be there.

• ut_och_cyklaut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    As far as I know fats circulate as free fatty acids bound to a protein. Some cells can use this energy source directly but the brain can't. Sure if you wiki your interest youll find some answers to your questions