What is an Alcoholic?

2»

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Did someone call me...? :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Alcoholism is when you have a problem with drinking or a problem with not drinking.
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    This thread has the usual informed answers, the common assumptions and the flippant dismissal answers.

In UK health terms, addiction has its own definition. Of which, alcohol/drinking alcohol can be the thing a person is addicted to.

"Can't function without a drink" is the common colloquial way people identify an alcoholic. In some ways its true. However 'functioning' is a perception thing. To the addicted person they'll think they're fine. To outsider looking in, they may not.

I've known a few diagnosed alcoholics in my time. Destructive thing an addiction if not managed properly.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    An alcoholic will tell you they are still an alcoholic years after they've given it up.

So I reckon it's a state of mind.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    andyb78 wrote:
    Not strictly true, certain people do actually need alcohol to live once they get to a certain point - Alcohol Withdrawal Syndrome can be fatal if not managed properly....

I understand that your internal organs actually undergo change so they process the alcohol as foodstuff, and once they've done this you can't use food any more for sustenance, you have to use alcohol.
  • carbonfiend
    carbonfiend Posts: 475
    FAO Sally65 I know Bill W have been his friend for over 15years but from the other side, dont see him as much now as got 3 kids etc and learnt to swim so dont really need arm bands anymore.
    '..all the bad cats in the bad hats..'
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    prj45 wrote:
    An alcoholic will tell you they are still an alcoholic years after they've given it up.

So I reckon it's a state of mind.

It's an understanding and an acceptance that you have it in you to take things to excess and not stop. To relate it to cycling, its much easier to get your condition back again after a period away from the bike than it was to get conditioned in the first place.
    Likewise with dependancy, if you've been there once its far easier to get back a second time.
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    gbsahne wrote:

Michigan Alcohol Screening Test AnswersTotal score of: 1 (0-2, No Apparent Problem)
    Your answers to this alcohol screening test suggest that you are in the normal range and at low risk of problem drinking.
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    I only scored 1 as well. Green light for more booze!
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Michigan Alcohol Screening Test Answers
    Total score of: 20 (6 or More, Problem Drinker)
    Your answers to this alcohol screening test suggest that you are at risk of alcoholism. The authors of this test would recommend that you contact your doctor about your drinking
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    spen666 wrote:
    Michigan Alcohol Screening Test Answers
    Total score of: 20 (6 or More, Problem Drinker)
    Your answers to this alcohol screening test suggest that you are at risk of alcoholism. The authors of this test would recommend that you contact your doctor about your drinking

stressful job?
  • andyb78
    andyb78 Posts: 156
    3 :shock: Early stages of problems they say :shock:
    Road bike FCN 6

Hardtail Commuter FCN 11 (Apparently, but that may be due to the new beard...)
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hmm,
    Interestingly, if you have friends or relatives that have a problem with you NOT drinking, and this causes you to feel guilty, this test warns that you may have a drink problem.... go talk to your doctor.

That's probably abuse of the test, of course.

Cheers,
    W.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I got me a 0 go figure :lol:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    spen666 wrote:
    Sounds a strange question, but was having discussion with a mate the other night and several different ideas were bandied about as to what we ould describe an alcoholic as

Somethink similar to a salt lick.
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    As someone who has been lucky enough to be gifted with not one but two alcoholic parents, I have spent more time than I care to remember considering alcohol and alcoholism. And my conclusion is that an alcoholic is someone whose consumption of alcohol is having a negative impact on their life in some way, relationships, job, solvency, etc, but carries on drinking anyway. It is in no way connected to the amount of alcohol you consume. There is a clear difference between being an alcoholic and being a heavy drinker.

I can't remember my mother not drinking. Her drinking has led to an almost total loss of her intelligence (she has gone from someone who was a state scholar to a woman who can now barely follow a coversation or read a book), has certainly led to the loss of all her friends and my father's friends and an almost total destruction of her relationship with her children. Although still married, it is a marriage in name only as they inhabit different wings of the house and barely communicate.

She used to turn up to PTA meetings at my school so drunk she was barely able to walk, she lies about and hides her alcohol consumption (I still find empty gin bottles in chests of drawers, etc), her default personality is now, unfortunately, her drunk persona - aggressive, self-regarding, utterly self-absorbed, and, apparently, according to her, infallible. She has been disqualified three times for drink driving. Yet she denies that she has a problem in any way with alcohol.

She drinks alone to excess, in the past she has even drunk my father's half-fermented homemade wine, she was so desperate for alcohol. God alone knows how vile that was, but she drank a dozen bottles in a week. Similarly in the days when there were duty free restrictions, they'd bring home from France 2 bottles of Ricard, she'd drink one on the first day my father was back at work and think he wouldn't notice, like she seemed to think he would walk into the cellar and not notice a dozen bottles of his wine were missing. Her need is greater than her reason - she is genuinely convinced that if she drinks neat gin out of a mug we won't notice. If she hasn't had a drink by mid-afternoon then she gets decidedly twitchy and ratty.

Having said at the start that my father is also an alcohlic, I must confess that I am not sure about that - he is definitely a heavy drinker. He does drink a lot, partly to anaesthetise the pain of living with my mother; many people would define that as an alcoholic - he deliberately uses alcohol to alter his emotions. But then if I had to spend my life listening to my mother's mindless whitterings or be subjected to her aggression, I too would drink to cope. He certainly likes a drink, but he's not the rude, unpleasant person my mother is if no wine is offered at lunchtime. And he is quite candid that he drinks more than is probably healthy for him, but it's his decision to do so. Whereas, my mother, as I said earlier, would not consider (or at least not admit) that her drinking causes her any problems.

Not sure if that helps answer the question at all.
  • _Brun_
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Many conclusions could be drawn from that, but the obvious one is that you've clearly been drinking already.
  • Clever Pun
    _Brun_ wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Many conclusions could be drawn from that, but the obvious one is that you've clearly been drinking already.

that is true but I started after 12 and no one complained
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Anyone else thirsty..? :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    it's a fairly bad survey in that I hardly drink, I have a glass of wine on friday maybe, and I do mean just a glass, I just don't drink much now.

but years ago as a late teen did I drink? and didn't I used to! sometimes get though two bottles of wine before going out. so yes in my past I've lost parts of nights out and other dumb things.

But my life id very different now. I'm much more likely to have a strong coffee than a stiff drink. it is now a very long time ago.
  • _Brun_
    it's a fairly bad survey in that I hardly drink, I have a glass of wine on friday maybe, and I do mean just a glass, I just don't drink much now.
    Why would a survey to determine alcoholism need to cater for people that rarely drink?

Be honest now Roger, how much have you had?
  • garrynolan
    garrynolan Posts: 560
    Did the MAST - scored 3! Problem with the test... some of the questions ask 'have you ever..' The question re: fighting was a bit 'off' - fought more without alcohol on board. Answering honestly about stuff that happened once 25-30 years ago certainly skewed the result (in my opinion). Going out tonight, will probably have 3 or 4 pints. First time in about six months I'll be having more than one. Problem? Don't think so.
    Visit Ireland - all of it! Cycle in Dublin and know fear!!
    exercise.png
  • drummondjhn
    drummondjhn Posts: 175
    got a 6

Total score of: 6 (6 or More, Problem Drinker)
    Your answers to this alcohol screening test suggest that you are at risk of alcoholism. The authors of this test would recommend that you contact your doctor about your drinking.

oops this just proved wife is correct to moan about me drinking
    Life is not a spectator sport
  • B1ghubba
    B1ghubba Posts: 61
    "Alcoholic" is a lay term and not really used these days in a clinical capacity as it's too vague.
    The following are currently used
    Alcohol abuse: A pattern of alcohol use leading to significant impairment in functioning. One of the following must be present within a 12 month period: (1) recurrent use resulting in a failure to fulfill major obligations at work, school, or home; (2) recurrent use in situations which are physically hazardous (e.g., driving while intoxicated); (3) legal problems resulting from recurrent use; or (4) continued use despite significant social or interpersonal problems caused by the alcohol use. The symptoms do not meet the criteria for alcohol dependence as abuse is a part of this disorder.

Alcohol dependence: Alcohol use history which includes the following: (1) alcohol abuse (see above); (2) continuation of use despite related problems; (3) increase in tolerance (more alcohol is needed to achieve the same effect); and (4) withdrawal symptoms.

Substitute "Alcohol" for "Cycling" hmm....
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    Well done Coriander for an honest, candid description of life with a practising alcoholic. (All alcoholics don't drink). An alcoholic is someone for whom ten drinks aren't enough. And one is too many.
  • Clever Pun
    Woodywmb wrote:
    Well done Coriander for an honest, candid description of life with a practising alcoholic.

+1
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • garrynolan
    garrynolan Posts: 560
    Coriander wrote:
    As someone who has been lucky enough to be gifted with not one but two alcoholic parents, I have spent more time than I care to remember considering alcohol and alcoholism. And my conclusion is that an alcoholic is someone whose consumption of alcohol is having a negative impact on their life in some way, relationships, job, solvency, etc, but carries on drinking anyway. It is in no way connected to the amount of alcohol you consume. There is a clear difference between being an alcoholic and being a heavy drinker.

I can't remember my mother not drinking. Her drinking has led to an almost total loss of her intelligence (she has gone from someone who was a state scholar to a woman who can now barely follow a coversation or read a book), has certainly led to the loss of all her friends and my father's friends and an almost total destruction of her relationship with her children. Although still married, it is a marriage in name only as they inhabit different wings of the house and barely communicate.

She used to turn up to PTA meetings at my school so drunk she was barely able to walk, she lies about and hides her alcohol consumption (I still find empty gin bottles in chests of drawers, etc), her default personality is now, unfortunately, her drunk persona - aggressive, self-regarding, utterly self-absorbed, and, apparently, according to her, infallible. She has been disqualified three times for drink driving. Yet she denies that she has a problem in any way with alcohol.

She drinks alone to excess, in the past she has even drunk my father's half-fermented homemade wine, she was so desperate for alcohol. God alone knows how vile that was, but she drank a dozen bottles in a week. Similarly in the days when there were duty free restrictions, they'd bring home from France 2 bottles of Ricard, she'd drink one on the first day my father was back at work and think he wouldn't notice, like she seemed to think he would walk into the cellar and not notice a dozen bottles of his wine were missing. Her need is greater than her reason - she is genuinely convinced that if she drinks neat gin out of a mug we won't notice. If she hasn't had a drink by mid-afternoon then she gets decidedly twitchy and ratty.

Having said at the start that my father is also an alcohlic, I must confess that I am not sure about that - he is definitely a heavy drinker. He does drink a lot, partly to anaesthetise the pain of living with my mother; many people would define that as an alcoholic - he deliberately uses alcohol to alter his emotions. But then if I had to spend my life listening to my mother's mindless whitterings or be subjected to her aggression, I too would drink to cope. He certainly likes a drink, but he's not the rude, unpleasant person my mother is if no wine is offered at lunchtime. And he is quite candid that he drinks more than is probably healthy for him, but it's his decision to do so. Whereas, my mother, as I said earlier, would not consider (or at least not admit) that her drinking causes her any problems.

Not sure if that helps answer the question at all.

Coriander - very brave of you to write this - it shows us what to look out for in our own situation. Thankyou.
    Visit Ireland - all of it! Cycle in Dublin and know fear!!
    exercise.png