Your bike has been stolen.

RealMan
RealMan Posts: 2,166
edited April 2010 in MTB general
Calm down dear, its just a hypothetical situation.

Not considering financial situations (not that any of us would..), but without going crazy, would you replace it with the exact same thing? What, if anything, would you change? A change of tyres? Maybe get a tubeless set up instead? Or just a new rear light perhaps?

My MTB - a Santa Cruz Chameleon custom build? I'd probably go deore steel on both chainrings this time - just don't think there's much advantage with the middleburn (that I've seen yet). And I'd go with a different saddle - got a SDG Bel Air, and its ok, but I reckon there's better out there.

Probably wouldn't be so ridiculously stupid and get white grips again (I'm kidding, I would, I know it..).

Or would you buy something completely different?

I feel quite happy when I think about this, cause it makes me realise how perfect my bike is for me.

Or maybe you've got so many bikes you wouldn't feel the need to replace it.. :D

If my bmx - a diamondback custom build - got nicked it would be horrible, cause I'd be straight on the internet trying to find out what a ti bmx frame costs..

My road bike - a cheap 2nd hand decathlon, I'd get something completely different, maybe one of those wiggle verenti ones.

And my unicycle? I might get some slightly different pedals, but I'd probably just get the same one, lol.

Comments

• I think i'd end up in prison. Someone would receive death by D-lock before I got a new bike!
  • andyrm
    andyrm Posts: 550
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    I think i'd end up in prison. Someone would receive death by D-lock before I got a new bike!

Must admit that was pretty much my first thought!!

But back on track - I can't see that I would really change anything at all - I built my Edison from scratch including selecting custom colours, handpicking every single component and building it up myself. In all honesty the only thing I'd do differently is use the fact I was going into my LBS (and my Bionicon dealer) with an insurance cheque for the better part of £4k to negotiate a load of free stuff of some description. Not sure what it would be, maybe some Bionicon clothing, maybe a cheap road bike (sorry guys) to blast round on, but I would definitely be negotiating that's for sure!!!!! :D
  • hoochylala
    hoochylala Posts: 987
    I would use it as an excuse to buy a bike that realistically would probably suit the type of riding I do now. Oh and I would demo the bikes first :roll:
  • D-Cyph3r
    D-Cyph3r Posts: 847
    If my bike was stolen I wouldn't be able to afford anything other than a cheap hardtail (like entry level cheap, £200-300).....

But yeah, someone would die a slow and painful death before I bought a new bike.
  • RealMan
    RealMan wrote:
    Not considering financial situations (not that any of us would..), but without going crazy, would you replace it with the exact same thing?

D-Cyph3r wrote:
    If my bike was stolen I wouldn't be able to afford anything other than a cheap hardtail (like entry level cheap, £200-300).....

Some people just don't read do they.. :D

Imagine that you got a cheque the same day the bike was nicked for the full amount of the bike + 20%.
  • asdfhjkl
    asdfhjkl Posts: 333
    My bike is perfectly suited for me in that I enjoy riding it and it seems suitable for the sort of riding I do. Would I buy another one? Depends on how much money I had. For the same budget, I'd buy it again, because I felt pretty informed in making the decision to buy it in the first place. If I had a bit more, I'd get something with either a more responsive fork or lighter wheels. Ideally both.
  • D-Cyph3r
    D-Cyph3r Posts: 847
    Oh right, I thought by "financial situations" you meant the general state of the economy and inflated bike prices, not personal finances...

In that case, probably not alot different. I love my EX8 so would probably just get another and change the finishing kit, tyres and saddle again. :)
  • andyrm
    RealMan wrote:

Imagine that you got a cheque the same day the bike was nicked for the full amount of the bike + 20%.

With the extra money, I'd also get me one of these badboys before looking for the perpetrator.....

http://www.defensedevices.com/2-5-milli ... n-gun.html
  • RealMan
    I do electronics at college, and therefore have passed currents through my tongue. 60V hurts.

2.5 MILLION??? :shock:
    Its rechargeable so you never have to buy batteries.

How many times are people planning on using it???
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    id replace my enduro with the exact same thing, definately. right down to the nuts and bolts. i love it.

i love my stumpy but if im honest, id probably get a golden willow to replace it. this is only cause it was such a good thing and i was a fool to get rid in theory except for the fact i used the old one to get the enduro

id want to replace the older stumpy exactly as it is, more for sentimental reasons than anything though

if the road bike got nicked, id replace it with another allez

if the giant rainier got nicked, id help the bloke carry it out of my garden.
  • andyrm
    RealMan wrote:
    I do electronics at college, and therefore have passed currents through my tongue. 60V hurts.

2.5 MILLION??? :shock:
    Its rechargeable so you never have to buy batteries.

How many times are people planning on using it???

You have to admit it's so cool!!! Imagine whooping some bike stealing scrote with that box of sparky goodness........ :D
  • RealMan
    id replace my enduro with the exact same thing, definitely. right down to the nuts and bolts. i love it.

if the giant rainier got nicked, id help the bloke carry it out of my garden.

Good feeling, isn't it?

And lol :lol:
  • furby
    furby Posts: 200
    Bit of non question if you ignore costs, because my bike, and im sure most bikes are bought with cost factored in.
  • andyrm
    RealMan wrote:
    id replace my enduro with the exact same thing, definitely. right down to the nuts and bolts. i love it.

Good feeling, isn't it?

That's exactly how I feel about the Edison. I'd replace it with exactly the same spec - it's a total pleasure to ride, runs perfectly, requires very little maintenance and I just think I'd compare anything else to it and probably be disappointed.
  • The wheels on my SC Blur would be changed for sure! Not sure for what yet, but they'd be gone. Everything else is pretty much spot on.

The shifters and mechs on my Kona Blast would be upgraded... probably just to bring it in line with the rest of the upgrades i've made to it, although saying that, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the ones that are on it :D Oh, and maybe the wheels for something lighter.

All in all though, I'm pretty happy with both bikes... but any excuse to fettle and pimp :twisted:
  • RealMan
    If I lived somewhere like the Alps I'd consider one of those bionicons. The adjustable travel just looks awesome. For climbing, its a short travel XC bike. The next moment, for descending, its a DH bike. Awesome.
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    i'd get a gt aggressor xcr to replace my rockrider, as i's more of an all round trail bike and can take more travel, and i'd upgrade the zocchis to 32 floats eventually
  • andyrm
    It is amazing - plus the sheer cool factor of an extra button on the bars cannot be overestimated. Sort of like an MTB version of Street Hawk meets Night Rider. Once my Garmin 705 arrives next week I will have made the full migration from simple gears/brakes to full on spaceship control surface - then it's just down to practicing my schoolboy turbo boost noises and we're sorted!! :lol:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    RealMan wrote:
    Not considering financial situations (not that any of us would..), but without going crazy, would you replace it with the exact same thing? What, if anything, would you change? A change of tyres? Maybe get a tubeless set up instead? Or just a new rear light perhaps?

With the Soul, I'd want something very similiar though I'd probably shop around first. New Soul with 140mm revs would do me nicely. Hemlock... Not so sure, I'd maybe get one of those crazily cheap Meta 6s instead.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    Well, it's a 2004 Avalanche 1.0 which cost £400... The current Avalanche 1.0 is going for £630 on Chain Reaction so I'd probably quite like that.

There'd be enough new on there to keep me happy.. Disc brakes instead of my budget Tektro V's and it also lacks the pogo stick that is my Judy TTs.

I would upgrade now but I bought the bike in 2004 and only really started riding it last month. I should post it to that Retro bike forum, it was dusty when I retrieved it from my parents. :lol:

With money in mind I'd have to just pick something old up off Ebay to last until the next Bike to Work scheme kicks off at our place.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • Newer versions of the same frame, forks, brakes, etc. possibly in a different colour (Soul, Magura, Formula). Different wheels probably, and whatever finishing kit looks good.
    Andy - The Expat Cyclist in Germany
    '07/'08 Cotic Soul
    '96 Scott Vail
    '89 Ridgeback Rapide 105
  • SPIRO
    SPIRO Posts: 200

+1 - cant say it any better than that.
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    I love both my bikes, but with the hypthetical insurance payout (without some financial restrictions this is just a why dream bike do you want thread)..

Probably have less expensive DH bike and a more expensive Trail bike.

Maybe a custom build Cove G Spot and a Demo 7 or STD, I know they're not DH bikes per-se, but I fancy something a little lighter / more fun than my Shocker.
  • Considering I've only just finished building mine with the exact spec I wanted, I'd just replace it.

Of course, I'd tell the insurance company it was a Ti 456 frame and not a steel one :wink:
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    the nice thing about insurance is that if i sold my bike i would get about 4-5 hundred.. probably anyways...

but with all my upgrades my bike is probaly worth about £1700 on insurance.... with this tasty packet i would build a 456 of BFE custom build....
    I like bikes and stuff
  • joshtp/mbukman where is it you live again? and where did you say your bikes were kept?
    :lol:
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    :lol:
    I like bikes and stuff
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    My 456 would be replaced with the new carbon one (as i'm doing this anyway) but i'd go with xx revelations rather than pikes, and industry nine wheels with stans rims, i'm also thinking about moving to colour coded 2X10 sram x-o, jolpin4, and more unusual tarty finishing kit,
  • Mickey Eye
    Mickey Eye Posts: 590
    If my bike was stolen I'd use the insurance plus savings and go over to a full suss. Either 120mm or 140mm.

I don't need full suss, but I do occasionally bottom out my 90mm front end.
  • scotto
    scotto Posts: 381
    andyrm wrote:
    It is amazing - plus the sheer cool factor of an extra button on the bars cannot be overestimated. Sort of like an MTB version of Street Hawk meets Night Rider. Once my Garmin 705 arrives next week I will have made the full migration from simple gears/brakes to full on spaceship control surface - then it's just down to practicing my schoolboy turbo boost noises and we're sorted!! :lol:

looks like a girls frame, nice colour though