Let's laugh at the ignorant f***kwit Daily Mail readers

2»

Comments

• downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    That doesn't look as steep as Constitution Hill in Bristol (or, indeed, any number of hills in Bristol). Does it get steeper at of shot?

if its the hill I'm thinking of it get about 35 degree gradient close to the top for a fair way. :? Have only been up it as a kid in the car though, so I might have the wrong hill in mind. Does google to gradients on the maps?
  • 35 degrees! Are you sure?

I thought Baldwin Street in Dunedin was about as steep as it gets. If it's 35 degrees, I think the width of the cycle lane is the least of the council's worries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldwin_street
  • downfader
    Hmm, has someone turned off the comments on the DM site? Getting too contentious tonight I wonder?
  • Lancslad
    Lancslad Posts: 307
    the road i mentioned in an earlier post

20100410_010.jpg

crazy stuff.
    Novice runner & novice cyclist
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • downfader
    Lancslad wrote:
    the road i mentioned in an earlier post

20100410_010.jpg

crazy stuff.

I think in Totton near here they painted loads of green and red boxes (no dashed white lines, just the colour) with a cycle sign to warn you to watch out for us. They put these on a couple of popular routes. They could have done that there.
  • El Diego
    El Diego Posts: 440
    The bike lane in and out of Ambleside is hilarious, it takes up half the width of the road. Sometimes councils just need to spend their money.
  • rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    Constitution Hill Road is very steep, not sure of the exact angle. Its also been the site of a couple of cyclist fatalities over the years.

The width may be over the top, but something needed to be done about the speed of cars going downhill (often 45 - 50 mph), and the lack of courtesy of those going uphill. Maybe encouraging cars over to the right will slow the downhill cars down a bit.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    aren't those cycle lanes just like the chevrons painted on fast bends? (and fast straights) Designed to fool the eye into thinking the road is narrower than it really is. So as to encourage slower and more careful driving
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    aren't those cycle lanes just like the chevrons painted on fast bends? (and fast straights) Designed to fool the eye into thinking the road is narrower than it really is. So as to encourage slower and more careful driving

I think you've hit the nail on the head there KB, the cycle lane in the article and the one in the pic above are advisory cycles lanes meaning that other vehicles are allowed in them.
    I'm not a huge fan of cycle lanes as I really don't think they offer many benefits (to myself as a fairly experienced cyclist) and only encourage dangerous riding in less-experienced riders by encouraging riders to filter up the left believing that a line bit of paint is offering them safe passage.

At the end of the day the only way to really get safer conditions for everyone on the road is for road users to respect each other and get out of this "us and them" mindset.
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Lancslad
    Lancslad Posts: 307
    El Diego wrote:
    The bike lane in and out of Ambleside is hilarious, it takes up half the width of the road. Sometimes councils just need to spend their money.

My pic above was taken on the way out of ambleside :wink: . I was in the passenger seat when i took it. Personally I think it causes problems, the other half and I always feel uncomfotable having to drive in it, perhaps thats the idea but then the people that have no respect for cyclists probably dont give a hoot about driving in cycle lanes anyway.
    Novice runner & novice cyclist
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Lancslad wrote:
    El Diego wrote:

My pic above was taken on the way out of ambleside :wink: . I was in the passenger seat when i took it. Personally I think it causes problems, the other half and I always feel uncomfotable having to drive in it, perhaps thats the idea but then the people that have no respect for cyclists probably dont give a hoot about driving in cycle lanes anyway.

There is a rather amusing cycle lane on the way in to Ripley on Portsmouth Road that varies from about 3' to 1' wide as the road snakes along! Never ridden on it but do drive along past on on the way to the only site I work on but don't yet ride to :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Mike400
    Mike400 Posts: 226
    Scary stuff, the mentality of some people.

Just keep that in mind the next time you are approaching a traffic island, thinking theres no way a car will try and squeeze through with you.... :roll:

some evenings I can get a bit paranoid if I dwell too long on the IQ of some of the people piloting these big steel boxes around me....
    twitter @fat_cyclist
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    Mike400 wrote:
    Just keep that in mind the next time you are approaching a traffic island, thinking theres no way a car will try and squeeze through with you.... :roll:

It's happened too many times for me to believe otherwise - last time while I was going down Shooters hill at 35 mph and accelarating a BMW tried to focre me into the gutter so he could pass me at a traffic island - and at the bottom of the hill - still at 30 a woman pulled in just ahead of me and stopped dead - excpected me to stop dead too. :shock: :?
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Mike400 wrote:
    Scary stuff, the mentality of some people.
    Exactly what struck me reading the comments. A mix of visceral hatred of cyclists, total ignorance of the law and a complete lack of humanity in some cases.
  • AAAAAAAARRRRRGGGHH

Man alive, not another 'us' versus 'them' fight between cyclists & motorists

I truly despair...
    Earn Cashback @ Wiggle, CRC, Evans, AW Cycles, Alpine Bikes, ProBikeKit, Cycles UK :

http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/stewartmead
  • Remember kids, the Daily Mail is for entertainment use only, and should not be relied upon as a news source.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    35 degrees! Are you sure?

I thought Baldwin Street in Dunedin was about as steep as it gets. If it's 35 degrees, I think the width of the cycle lane is the least of the council's worries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldwin_street

Given your username, would you happen to be a Kiwi, by any chance?
  • Given your username, would you happen to be a Kiwi, by any chance?
    Guilty as charged.
    In November 2009, three men were charged with disorderly behaviour and dangerous driving after taking rides in a chilly bin being towed behind a car down Baldwin St. One of them said it was because the bars had shut and they had nothing to do.

This is what happens when all the bars are closed. Nothing to do but tow your friend behind your car in a bin down the steepest street in the world![/quote]
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Standby the Evening Standard has been reading post from this forum, we're being watched.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.