Let's laugh at the ignorant f***kwit Daily Mail readers

prj45
prj45 Posts: 2,208
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
Britain's barmiest bike lane that is WIDER than the car lane

Screams the Daily Mail.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -road.html

Comments are great as usual, I especially like this one from Kevin Ball, Plymouth:

"The new cycle lane has been defended by Poole Borough Council, which said the lines are for guidance only and drivers were permitted to cross them. "

Is that the same for bike lanes across the country then, if so,then what on earth is the point of a bike lane or is the spokesperson talking out of his/her rear end

Comments

• prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Oooo, this is a classic:
    What about the 'cycle boxes' spread across the width of one lane at traffic lights? These are dangerous to cyclists and car users as bicycles are always easily outaccelerated by cars.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    It's the same for most cycle lanes. If they are dashed lines, then they are only advisory, and it's permitted for vehicles to cross them. It's only if they're solid lines that it's an offence to cross into the lane.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • petejuk
    petejuk Posts: 235
    I happen to live closeby and have to say that I think its great that they seem to be giving space to the cyclist. There is in this area, many motoristshowever who don't understand the broken lines and drive, clinging to the central broken white lines. In fact, I think the reporter who wrote the article probably lives locally, judging by their ignorance.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    What about the 'cycle boxes' spread across the width of one lane at traffic lights? These are dangerous to cyclists and car users as bicycles are always easily outaccelerated by cars.
    - John Ward, MCR, UK, 20/4/2010 19:37

Must be a typo - pretty much I always easily out accelerate the cars at the traffic lights.....
    Faster than a tent.......
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    Boy, sure makes that 4WD look like a big fat road hog, doesn't it?
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • Lancslad
    Lancslad Posts: 307
    thats crap you should see the rod leading in/out of ambleside you cant drive a car in/out without being in the cycle lane. plymuth are ametuers
    Novice runner & novice cyclist
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    The what now...? I was distracted by the SWAG calendar link :shock:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    Scrap the lanes, but that bike stencil they use...lets have them bigger, so they take up the whole lane, painted every now and then on all the roads. Sort of a "this whole road is a bicycle lane too, not just a car lane" reminder.
    Now, where's that SWAG calendar link gone....
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    prj45 wrote:
    Britain's barmiest bike lane that is WIDER than the car lane

Screams the Daily Mail.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -road.html

Comments are great as usual, I especially like this one from Kevin Ball, Plymouth:

"The new cycle lane has been defended by Poole Borough Council, which said the lines are for guidance only and drivers were permitted to cross them. "

Is that the same for bike lanes across the country then, if so,then what on earth is the point of a bike lane or is the spokesperson talking out of his/her rear end

Some comments on there scare the s**t outta me
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Looks perfectly reasonable to me TBH, they say it's on a steep section of a hill so as the article and it's only an advisory lane so drivers aren't "forced" into a dangerous position on the road (heaven forbid they are put out.....)
    As the article states some slower cyclist might start wobbling on the hill and the wider cycle lane (which is just following recommendations, bearing in mind most cycle lanes are actually far to narrow) allows for faster riders to "safely" overtake other riders.

Love the comment in the article where they state "It's wide enough to host a stage of the Tour de France"!! Not sure what race he's been watching but I'm sure you'd struggle to get the peloton in that lane ;-)

unfortunately I'm not seeing any of the 29 comments, will have to try again later......
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Oh come on. Lets be balanced. That cycle lane is daft. The reasoning behind it is about as good as putting up a sign saying, "Please do not drive into wobbly cyclists near top of hill".

What would the reaction be to a sign like that on this forum?
  • gb155
    Oh come on. Lets be balanced. That cycle lane is daft. The reasoning behind it is about as good as putting up a sign saying, "Please do not drive into wobbly cyclists near top of hill".

What would the reaction be to a sign like that on this forum?

Its daft because motor vehicles should give cyclists the same room when passing as they should other vehicles but dont. if they did there wouldnt be any need for stuff like this.

• I like the idea behind the lane but it is over the top and is too wide.
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    Scrap the lanes, but that bike stencil they use...lets have them bigger, so they take up the whole lane, painted every now and then on all the roads. Sort of a "this whole road is a bicycle lane too, not just a car lane" reminder.

I really like this idea :idea:
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    How come cyclists get special privileges of the roads yet they dont pay any insurance or road tax?

We have a winner!

I was disappointed that they didn't ask for registration but it's still good stuff.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • zanes
    zanes Posts: 563
    What about all the Cyclists who still Cycle on the road on yellow lines where its not just illigal but REALLY ANNOYING.

????
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    The worse ones are the ones with children sat on the back of the bike. Now that is frightening

Yeah bastards.

I was terrified of being forced to run them down in my safety tested metal box. Bring back the birch, road tax etc etc
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • gb155
    Greg T wrote:
    The worse ones are the ones with children sat on the back of the bike. Now that is frightening

Yeah bastards.

I was terrified of being forced to run them down in my safety tested metal box. Bring back the birch, road tax etc etc

What about registration plates though ? :D

• AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    To be fair, that cycle lane is daft. I'm all for wide cycle lanes, but if the road isn't wide enough then it's useless. The car lane isn't wide enough for cars, so they will be forced into the cycle lane, rendering it utterly pointless.

The comments are a mixed bag of relatively sensible and downright ignorant (illegal to ride on roads with yellow lines?!), but that's the same all over the Web.
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    What about those swags though, and those lucky tank drivers :shock:
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    zanes wrote:
    What about all the Cyclists who still Cycle on the road on yellow lines where its not just illigal but REALLY ANNOYING.

????

Ye Gods - they really should have some sort of IQ test before being allowed to post such tripe over there, though I suppose that would make the comments section go really quiet very quickly.
  • W1 wrote:
    zanes wrote:

????

Ye Gods - they really should have some sort of IQ test before being allowed to post such tripe over there, though I suppose that would make the comments section go really quiet very quickly.

They do! If you want to post there then you're stupid enough.
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    W1 wrote:
    zanes wrote:

????

They do! If you want to post there then you're stupid enough.

Good point - perhaps a slightly more stringent test is required.....!
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    AidanR wrote:
    To be fair, that cycle lane is daft. I'm all for wide cycle lanes, but if the road isn't wide enough then it's useless. The car lane isn't wide enough for cars, so they will be forced into the cycle lane, rendering it utterly pointless.
    The comments are a mixed bag of relatively sensible and downright ignorant (illegal to ride on roads with yellow lines?!), but that's the same all over the Web.

Couple of things

Firstly there is no car lane on that road. There is a cycle lane and a lane for ALL traffic.

Having a silly cycle lane like that effectively forces motorists to drive in the cycle lane and helps to normalise the idea of driving in cycle lane and ignoring road markings.

This lane does harm to cyclists generally
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Isn't it just to give motorists an idea how much space they should be giving cyclists when overtaking? The problem seems to be that motorists don't know the rules of the road, although I guess the cycle lane could be a bit clearer as it does perhaps look a little like 3 lanes at the moment. I despair of the comments, "oh no we'll be forced to overtake into a flow of moving traffic" - if it isn't safe to overtake, just wait you****! :twisted: :roll:
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    itboffin wrote:
    The what now...? I was distracted by the SWAG calendar link :shock:
    You might have been distracted, but the Alsation dog in June looks a bit more than distracted. Eager is the word that springs to mind. Down boy... :)
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I think there's one of those lanes in Salisbury, it's totally confusing for cyclists and motorists
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    The cycle lane is on the up side for some inexplicable reason.

There is no lane on the down side.

Most of the hill is so steep people walk up it anyway.

Complete madness.....

And that is from someone who is a cyclist who lives near this road!!!

- DaveCook, Broadstone, Dorset, 21/4/2010 7:34

Maybe because on the downhill, the cyclists will be going about as fast as a car?
  • bramstoker
    bramstoker Posts: 250
    jimmypippa wrote:
    The cycle lane is on the up side for some inexplicable reason.

There is no lane on the down side.

Most of the hill is so steep people walk up it anyway.

Complete madness.....

And that is from someone who is a cyclist who lives near this road!!!

- DaveCook, Broadstone, Dorset, 21/4/2010 7:34

Maybe because on the downhill, the cyclists will be going about as fast as a car?

This is the reason a lot of car drivers have problems with cyclists, one second they want to be integrated with the traffic, the next they want to be seperated and given their own space, it just makes drivers think cyclists want the best of both worlds at the car owners expence.
    I often get honked and shouted at while cycling on the road near my house, the "cycle track" is 2 feet from the road and the drivers get irritated that im on the road not the track and i can understand why. Trouble is that in their wisdom, they made the track with quite large gravel and stones, my 700x23 tyres last about 200 yards on it, so bugger em i stay on the road :)
    A feather is kinky, a whole chicken is just perverse.
  • spen666 wrote
    Having a silly cycle lane like that effectively forces motorists to drive in the cycle lane and helps to normalise the idea of driving in cycle lane and ignoring road markings.

While I've never seen any studies to prove that theory, I'm very inclined to believe it - there is definitely some kind of rule-fatigue that sets in.
  • That doesn't look as steep as Constitution Hill in Bristol (or, indeed, any number of hills in Bristol). Does it get steeper at of shot?