My Red Orange- Update 20/4/12 pg 3

13»

Comments

• angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    lawman wrote:
    jeezuz wept if you got fed up of fiddling with the juicy's then you are gonna have alot of fun with the elixer's!!! simple rule with avid, stick to the low end stuff, their high-end range is plagued by reliability issues, lost count of how many sets I saw at the LBS back in the day! why more people don't go onto rose bikes and get xt's for less than £130 a pair is beyond me!

Bike looks fantastic though!

Cheers! Arse, if I'd seen them for that price I'd probably have gone XT, I'd seen them for around £180 a pair which was a bit too much. Still see how these go, apparently the 2011 model had most of the issues ironed out :roll:
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    not wanting to put you off avids, and that is a cracking deal, especially from CRC, but they have been known to have issues. A local guys set on his stumpy were the worse I've ever come across, how on earth they ever left the factory I'll never know, there was a tonne of air in them, the seals were fooked and it was brand new straight from the shop pretty much, he hadn't had it long and not done many rides. when they work they are pretty good, have good modulation and power, not too keen on the lever shape tbh, but I like mine to have distinct hook at the end, the Xt's are the best levers ever in this respect!
  • angry_bird
    lawman wrote:
    not wanting to put you off avids, and that is a cracking deal, especially from CRC, but they have been known to have issues. A local guys set on his stumpy were the worse I've ever come across, how on earth they ever left the factory I'll never know, there was a tonne of air in them, the seals were fooked and it was brand new straight from the shop pretty much, he hadn't had it long and not done many rides. when they work they are pretty good, have good modulation and power, not too keen on the lever shape tbh, but I like mine to have distinct hook at the end, the Xt's are the best levers ever in this respect!

:lol: I guess I'll take them as they come, so far so good, they feel like the factory bleed is decent enough, they're nicely bedded in now and were great to ride with earlier, guess only time will tell really though... I'll give them a little while, if they do start pissing me off then they may well make their way to the classifieds to make space for some XTs
  • lawman
    shimano really are on the ball atm, when 10 speed first spread to mtb I thought sram had it all sewn up, truth is far from it, the sram stuff doesn't last that well, it doesn't seem to work as well as the shimano equivalent and is more money too. stuff like shadow+ and the new range of brakes have put them top of the pile imo, if only, if only they'd realise cup and cone hubs belong in the stone ages :roll:
  • angry_bird
    I've not really used much of either shimanos or srams latest offerings but from what I've seen and heard shimano really is on the ball. I mean I'm constantly dreaming about a new bike, which isn't going to happen what with uni, but from looking and reading around I'd spec it with shimano groupset without a doubt, and possibly some of these 26in fox 34s that are soon to be upon us... but then I start thinking 650B :lol:

I have too much time on my hands :roll: :lol:
  • lawman
    too much spare time?! tell me about it!! i currently have 2 hours of lectures a week :lol: I still dream of starting my own company, doing it direct like canyon, but aiming for the high end, santa cruz, ibis etc. low volume good value bikes with exclusivity and top notch kit :lol: that is a wild dream though!!

the 34's look astonishingly good, and the ctd damping sounds like the kinda thing I'd use, atm I just set the low speed compression and never touch the lockout. A 140mm 650b ti hardtail would be nice though!!
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    lawman wrote:
    if only, if only they'd realise cup and cone hubs belong in the stone ages :roll:
    +1, fuck knows why they they still use cup and cone bearings in their hubs... The new 2013 Saint and Zee kit looks awesome though! Fair play to them!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Because cup and cone bearings still offer less rolling resistance than cartridge bearings when properly set up. Plus they are lighter.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • lawman
    stubs wrote:
    Because cup and cone bearings still offer less rolling resistance than cartridge bearings when properly set up. Plus they are lighter.

no shimano or any cup and cone hub I've ever come across has made me go "sh!t thats light!!", and in all honesty my pro2's roll just as well as any shimano hub I've ever had.
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    stubs wrote:
    but they are unrealiable, harder to service and have to be set up on a regular basis. i'll stick to me "more rolling resistant" hope pro 2s :)
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Yeah, I've never noticed a difference in rolling resistance. I'll take a slight weight penalty over hubs that constantly need overhauling (which is a pain in the arse in comparison to cartridge bearings anyway).
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • angry_bird
    Bored. Thought I'd upload of a photo of it outside in a proper place, not just the back garden for a change

7527600802_778ef59c32_z.jpg
  • angry_bird
    Actually got a photo of me riding the bike, again!! Some bloke up at Llandegla asked us to ride some jumps so he could photo us, in return we got free photos. Looking nice and gay in lots of lycra :lol:

7977219017_86dcb5030c_c.jpg
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    Angry Bird wrote:

4796870998_9abd9df945.jpg

:lol:

Do you mind if i ask what tyres these are? Ive been looking allover for tyres with this sort of tread!
  • angry_bird
    They're kenda small block 8s

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=51697.

Really nice tyres, low rolling resistance and normally more than enough grip for dry summer conditions* through to spring/autumn/summer wetness. Not great in the winter mud though.

*Yes, these actually occur from time to time. But very rarely.
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    Thanks for that, they are up there with my choice of tyres for my Chucker along with the Halo twin rails.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Look at Maxxis Larsens as well they are very similar to Small 8s
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • levolon
    levolon Posts: 78
    hmmm looks familiar

like my g2 and done odd bits to it over the last few yrs

got a FS bike now and the 456 which gets the money im affraid

phonepics004_zpsf1685fde.jpg
  • angry_bird
    Nice, is that one of the 2011 models? Wish mine had cable routing under the top tube, the paint is scratched to hell, thankfully I don't really notice it that much as it's got cables on top :lol: