shorts

mcowan77
mcowan77 Posts: 560
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
bought first road bike for communting

what shorts do i wear????....unsure about lycra!!!!

always wore baggies with padded lycra under shorts when on my mtb,, but what about road biking???????????

Comments

• Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Road bikes, padding and lycra. Otherwise get a hybrid :twisted: :wink:
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Chicks dig lycra.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Asprilla wrote:
    Chicks dig lycra.

As long as the content is worthy :lol:
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Wear what you would on your MTB!

I wear Endura Humvees and 3/4 Endura Zymes, with the click fast under-shorts or dbh merston full length bib tights or Earnley shorts. The bib tights are waaaay more comfy than the click fast shorts!

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/dhb_E ... 360024489/
  • Lancslad
    Lancslad Posts: 307
    I wear lycra with tracksters over the top......well its ruddy cold at 4:30am.
    Novice runner & novice cyclist
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I still wear baggies when I commute, Endura singletrack ones, not huge baggy ones that scream MTB, if I was doing a bit of a tour over a weekend or a long day ride I would just wear lycra though on it's own.
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    iPete wrote:
    Wear what you would on your MTB!
    Reasonable advice if you don't want to go with the full roadie look. Shouldn't be a problem from a comfort perspective. Might appear odd to some of the pure radie bunch but I wouldn't worry about that.

I quite often ride my road bike with MTB baggies if I'm going somewhere where the full on lycra look would stand out. ;)

Mike
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Wear what you want, ride what you want....
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • mcowan77 wrote:

always wore baggies with padded lycra under shorts when on my mtb,, but what about road biking???????????

Wear what's comfortable for you.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279

Don't ask to ride my bike and I wont ask to f*** your wife...
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707

No wife... yet! LIT has not said "yes"
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Rapha touring shorts - baggies for roadies.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,200
    Unless you need that extra 10th of a second from the better aerodynamics of lycra shorts or want to look like a TdF wannabe, why bother when you're probably more comfortable with baggies....
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • asprilla
    I don't see how baggies can be moe comfortable. I'd need something with a pad and I've got bib shorts and baggies with Lycra padded shorts inside. The bibs are so much more comfortable.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I wear baggy shorts for rides to/from the shops etc, but I couldn't wear them on the commute because they'd rub continuously. So I stick to lycra only.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Stevo_666
    I've never needed padding for whatever reason, and I guess unpadded baggies and unpadded lycra are pretty much the same on that front. The odd thing is my baggies never rub even on longer runs (wear boxers underneath, mind). With all this talk of lycra wearers having to apply buttery things to their nether regions I can only conclude that baggies are more comfortable chafing-wise :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    mcowan77 wrote:

Team Shorts in the summer, I have Livestrong, Astana and Discovery :D
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    I wear padded lycra shorts with some baggies over top, if nothing else it's somewhere to put phone and wallet.

I hate stuff in the jersey so i like things in shorts pockets or saddle bag.
  • deebizzle
    deebizzle Posts: 46
    As said above - wear what you like.

I'm not a huge fan of the lycra look so tend to go for a more MTB appearance on my hybrid commuter. I'm not that bothered about smashing new PBs on my commute everyday - just wanna stay alive.

Did recently buy a pair of perhaps slightly TOO baggy Sombrio shorts tho - which probably aren't the most aerodynamic and have been told I look like MC Hammer when I walk into the office. I like em tho!
  • nobunaga
    nobunaga Posts: 23
    Baggies for me as I am still very embarassed trotting around in lycra but as a girl I very much enjoy watching lycra clad roadies :D
  • asprilla
    nobunaga wrote:
    Baggies for me as I am still very embarassed trotting around in lycra but as a girl I very much enjoy watching lycra clad roadies :D

See, I was right!
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Most commutes are not long rides so it doesn't make much difference what you wear

The people on this forum are obsessed with fashion so you will get plenty of advice
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    vorsprung wrote:
    Most commutes are not long rides so it doesn't make much difference what you wear

The people on this forum are obsessed with fashion so you will get plenty of advice

Really, most people highly recommend lidl/aldi for cycle gear on these boards!

And if you so choose, there isn't anything wrong with looking half decent on the bike, a bit of an image boost would certainly lead to a participation boost.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    iPete wrote:
    vorsprung wrote:

Really, most people highly recommend lidl/aldi for cycle gear on these boards!

And if you so choose, there isn't anything wrong with looking half decent on the bike, a bit of an image boost would certainly lead to a participation boost.
    +1 to that.
    I used to commute in baggies but the difference in comfort level from the bibs I was using for weekend rides was immense. Bought some cheap dhb bibs for the commute and, even though cheaper than the baggies, they were much better for short rides. These days my older 'weekend' bibs are used for commuting and newer ones for longer weekend rides. S'all good.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    i wear cycling shorts (not bibs) with normal shorts over the top for the commute, feel a bit of a prat waddling through the gym to the shower on a morning in full lycras. Also its handy to have pockets and an extra layer if I fall off. My commute is only 7 miles though, comfort would probably be a factor on a longer commute and I can see the benefits of a good pair of bibs - also you might just like posing in public in gimp gear! Reminds me, last week I cycled from work to Richmond Park along the Embankment (nice and fast, enjoyed it) and I got beeped by a BMW, looked over my shoulder and it was a guy putting his hands to his lips and making a kissing gesture whilst checking out my ass. In a non-ironic manner. If that isn't good enough reason to wear baggies I don't know what is.

By weekend I'm a full on roadie, but I generally don't have to mix with the general public then.
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    team kit is it's warm enough but whatever you like most
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    For my little training run out yesterday I didnt have the baggies on and didnt feel exposed or anything it's just walking into work where the added layer saves mine as well as thier embarrassment.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120

No wife... yet! LIT has not said "yes"

Jeez, why's everyone dragging LiT into stuff? Poor lass.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Stevo_666
    nobunaga wrote:
    Don't forget that girls in lycra shorts are quite popular with the blokes - I refer you to the infamous 'GILS' thread in the cake stop forum :wink:
  • mcowan77
    mcowan77 Posts: 560
    cheers folks

i think it will be lycra underneath with some kind of baggy shorts over

dont think i would last 5 mins in work with the lycra!!!