Caution!! Some twisted people out there!

2»

Comments

• ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    mikee1979 wrote:
    Matthew Paris wtf... I thought people who would write for the Times would have some common sense! What a fool.

Fair enough having a go at people who drop litter which does disgust me as well, but decapitating all cyclists is, lets say over the top.

Why do people have such animosity against cyclists!
    Aye, i would imagine any serious cyclist would stay away from that crap, i certainly try to. And "cyclist height?" what on earth is that? cyclists don't sit that much higher than your average pedestrian!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Phonk7 wrote:
    Wow thats really scared me, do alot of riding in woods would be so easy to string some fishing line up and bye bye me (or my mate whoever's in front!). Its really sick

Agree - I did my favourite loop yesterday and the best bit of downhill was ruined because I kept worrying there was wire stretched across the track. :(
    "it rubs the lotion on its skin, or else it gets the hose again"
  • Sorry to increase the nightmares but I found out yesterday what happens if you hit rope strung over the path. :cry:

I was riding down a piece of bridlepath that doesn't see much traffic and passes through two farms. Prior to the second farm is a nice bit of decent and I was riding quickly down it looking at the bumps and hollows to keep my speed up. As a got to the first of the farm outbuildings I suddenly spotted that a rope had been strung across the path to stop cows from straying down the lane. :shock: I braked hard but not soon enough and the rope hit me across the chest. Fortunately it was stretchy enough not to pull me straight off but it ran across my chest and slid up to my throat at which point I fell off. Been left with burn marks to both shoulders and a small burn across the base of my neck. My jersey is wrecked due to a large area of burning on one upper arm. I've been really lucky but still feel pretty sore today. If any of the variables had been slightly different I'd have been seriously hurt.

I don't blame the farmer that much - he has to protect his herd but I am going to pop into the farm later to 'advise' the farmer to mark his ropes with flags. Just a couple of ribbons on the rope would have made all the difference. Heavens help you if someone rigs one up to deliberately hurt you.
    Scott Genius 08, Marin Rock Springs 08, Marin Pine Mountain 89
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Surely the farmer is in some sort of breach and cant lay the rope across a public path like that, even if it is to stop the cattle roaming.

That could have been so much more dangerous, flags or no flags.

I hear the ambulance chasers calling! ;P
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    This is not on, silversurfer, the farmer is not allowed to do this, and he has caused you injury and loss. Talk to the CTC. He must at least be stopped before there is a fatality (which could easily happen).
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    alfablue wrote:
    Don't worry people, it is simply Times readers following Matthew Parris's advice

What's smug and deserves to be decapitated

WTF was that about. I would be put at ease if he is just trolling.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Valy wrote:
    alfablue wrote:
    Don't worry people, it is simply Times readers following Matthew Parris's advice

It was the most complained about article to the PCC that year, but the PCC found that inciting hatred and murder did not breach the PCC code in any way:

http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/event-news ... /2931.html

Parris subsequently posted a rather unconvincing apology "I offended many with my Christmas attack on cyclists. It was meant humorously but so many cyclists have taken it seriously that I plainly misjudged. I am sorry.".

Other "celebrities" (??? :? ) have also jumped on the cyclist-hate bandwagon (eg: James Martin).

Whatever the motivation of these idiots (selling papers/genuine hate) their words will be an endorsement to other idiots that will feel further empowered to take out their anger on cyclists.
  • Aldo001
    Aldo001 Posts: 251
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/commen ... 110970.ece
    Someone wrote a responce to his sickening article.
    That Parris guy is a prick :?
  • marksteven
    marksteven Posts: 208
    back in the mid 90s i was teaching in a school in margate when 2 of our 10 yr olds were arrested for doing the same thing but on a road always wondered what happened to them :roll:
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    alfablue wrote:
    Valy wrote:
    alfablue wrote:

It was the most complained about article to the PCC that year, but the PCC found that inciting hatred and murder did not breach the PCC code in any way:

http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/event-news ... /2931.html

Parris subsequently posted a rather unconvincing apology "I offended many with my Christmas attack on cyclists. It was meant humorously but so many cyclists have taken it seriously that I plainly misjudged. I am sorry.".

Other "celebrities" (??? :? ) have also jumped on the cyclist-hate bandwagon (eg: James Martin).

Whatever the motivation of these idiots (selling papers/genuine hate) their words will be an endorsement to other idiots that will feel further empowered to take out their anger on cyclists.

I see.

That article does have very "OTT" statements - so maybe he was hoping that it would just not be taken srsly. Either way, it is dodgy etc etc.

As far as not liking or "hating" cyclists I guess they/we can be a bit of a nuisance on narrow roads, but coming out with such statements is not really necessary - for everyone.