shall i buy a road bike

13»

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    That's pretty good. There is a 20p per mile claim you can get from the government (most employers can do it for you) but apparently it's for work<>work travel (eg one site to another) you can't claim for home<>work.

You can't claim for your commuting miles, but you can for extra miles.
    You can't claim at all if it's on a company-owned bike (e.g. on a C2W voucher). It's the tax form P87, which is pretty easy to fill in...
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    davis wrote:
    That's pretty good. There is a 20p per mile claim you can get from the government (most employers can do it for you) but apparently it's for work<>work travel (eg one site to another) you can't claim for home<>work.

You can't claim at all if it's on a company-owned bike (e.g. on a C2W voucher). It's the tax form P87, which is pretty easy to fill in...

As a contractor can I claim from my home / registered office to a client site?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • kona_matt
    kona_matt Posts: 475
    davis wrote:
    kona_matt wrote:
    I'll probably save £35 per month in fuel.

I reckon you'll probably save more than that if you're going both ways (i.e. 25 miles total) 5 days a week.. I make 125 miles to be just shy of 14 quid per week in fuel..

not going to be able to cycle every day, i'm going to need to drive in at least once or twice a week so i can get to site/meetings.
    FCN 9 - 2008 Kona Cinder Cone
    FCN 9 - Custom Build On-One 456
    FCN 5 - 2010 Boardman Team Carbon
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Asprilla wrote:
    davis wrote:

As a contractor can I claim from my home / registered office to a client site?

Ick. Don't know about that... P87 is only for employees I'm afraid. Have you got an accountant?
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Wiggle have got a good offer at the moment and their Cayo 105 comes out costing £800 what is a fantastic bargain too.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Got rid of my Giant XTC Hardtail this time last year and got a road bike for my commute , still have the felt full susser for weekend fun, i do miss the giant but it takes me 10 mins less now on the roady. Am gonna get another Hard tail MTB though as i miss the fun i used to have on it and it would be nice to have a choice of commuter for certain days, i found the winter riding on the road bike a bit scary at times and would have been much happeir on a MTB with slicks i think

Oh and yes i wear lycra !(But wear baggies over the top to hide it :D )
    08 Felt Compulsion 2 SE
    09 Corratec S-light
    10 Giant Defy 2
  • kona_matt
    kona_matt Posts: 475
    Benefit choices have now been confirmed so there's no going back. Should have a Boardman Team Carbon by the end of the month.

Thank you everyone for your opinions and advice.
    FCN 9 - 2008 Kona Cinder Cone
    FCN 9 - Custom Build On-One 456
    FCN 5 - 2010 Boardman Team Carbon