shall i buy a road bike

kona_matt
kona_matt Posts: 475
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
hi everyone, first post in the commuting section, have read lots of the silly commuting racing thread though, very amusing. I've got a bit of a dilema that i'd like some opinions on.

I've recently moved within feasible cycling distance (12.5 miles) to work and want to ride in 2 or 3 times a week for fitness. At the moment I only have 1 bike, a kona cinder cone mtb which is very much set up for off road trail riding (very big, heavy, knobbly tyres and standard riser bars with no bar ends). Over the last few weeks i've used this to get into work and it takes me 55-60mins. I'll burn through a rear tyre per month at this rate though! The route has a very short section of off road riding which could easily be avoided so essentially it's a road ride with some rolling hills. I can lock up my bike in the office at work so I haven't got any major security concerns.

My dilema is whether to get a road bike (i'm thinking boardman) on the Cycle to Work scheme, buy a second mtb (also on CTW) and set it up for commuting (slicks and bar ends) or just buy a second set of wheels for my current mtb and fit them with slicks.

I'm really after opinions on how much time a road bike might save me. That will help me decide whether the montly cost of the CTW scheme is worth it or should I just bite the bullet and shell out a few hundred quid up front for a second set of wheels for the mtb. I certainly can't continue with the knobbly tyres, it's going to cost me a fortune!

I look forward to hearing what you think.

thanks!
FCN 9 - 2008 Kona Cinder Cone
FCN 9 - Custom Build On-One 456
FCN 5 - 2010 Boardman Team Carbon

Comments

• zanes
    zanes Posts: 563
    Yes, buy a roadbike

</thread>
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Just buy a road bike - it'll be the best cycling purchase you've ever made...

Next.
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    A road bike will be the best tool for the job and will open up a whole new world of cycling to you :lol:

I had exactly that dilemna 2.5 years ago, and now I've more road bikes than MTB's, have joined a club and started racing. The best bit is that I'm fitter than ever and can enjoy my MTB far more at the weekends, and still consider myself a DH'er who does a bit of road riding to keep fit :wink:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I did, worked out ok for me.

Only problem is I've not used my MTB for ages bought loads of lycra and a helmet without a peak, enter here at your peril. :twisted:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Yes, just buy it. You're over-analysing. If you already have a mountain bike, you'll appreciate the differences that a road bike will offer. Best of both worlds!
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Yes, buy a road bike. Consider if you want it to take mudguards (some will, some won't) as this is a very useful thing on a commuter. You may imagine that you won't ride in the rain, but you'll get caught out.

Even if you "roadify" your mtb, the more aero position of a road bike is worth a minimum of 1mph.

Having 2 bikes means they will last longer, and although you can get a second set of wheels and swap between them (I did this for a while) bear in mind that brakes may need fettling each time you swap. If your mtb has disc brakes you'll need wheels, tyres, tubes, a cassette, brake discs; if rim brakes, same minus discs, and ideally the rims and hubs will be the same as existing ones (to minimise gear and brake adjustments), but you are probably looking at £200-£300 expense, better put towards a second bike IMHO.
  • kona_matt
    prawny wrote:
    bought loads of lycra and a helmet without a peak, enter here at your peril. :twisted:

that is something i must resist!!! i'll be sticking with the baggies ans trail lid!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    A Road bike changed my life.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    edited April 2010
    I use my Orange P7 for a 19 mile round trip commute (minimum). This is all on road but the state of the roads around mine is such that I doubt a road bike would make such a difference; certainly the loss of speed is more than compensated for the comfort. There is a lot of climbing too which perhaps favours the roadie less (not much aero benefit at 10 mph!).

I use fat slicks for the commute (Schwalbe City Jets which nly cost about £20 the pair) and switch to knobblies when I go off road; doesn't take very long to make the change. Speed wasn't affected significantly by the change to slicks; pretty much my commute takes as long as it takes (round trip about 1 hour 15). The slicks can deal with non slippery off road perfectly well.

The mtb isn't my ideal commuter but it is nearer to it than a road bike; it really depends a lot on the state of the road. Road bikes are for fun! Buy the Boardman, with drops, and use it at the weekend :D
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    A Road bike changed my life.

A bike changed my life.......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    kona_matt wrote:
    prawny wrote:
    bought loads of lycra and a helmet without a peak, enter here at your peril. :twisted:

that is something i must resist!!! i'll be sticking with the baggies ans trail lid!

You keep telling yourself that...

I give you nine months before you are eyeing up a little bike cap and some of the gems on the jersey thread...

Just ordered this by the way - thanks for tip whoever posted it

http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?ID=2496
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • kona_matt
    thanks everyone, as I suspected, road bike it is. will have to get down to halfords and have a proper look at the boardman (the £800 one).
  • il_principe
    kona_matt wrote:
    prawny wrote:

That's what everyone says, but you'll see the light eventually, especially if you start undertaking longer rides at weekends etc... lycra gets worn for good reason.
  • kona_matt wrote:
    prawny wrote:

That's what everyone says, but you'll see the light eventually, especially if you start undertaking longer rides at weekends etc... lycra gets worn for good reason.

+1. I too have succumbed to Lycra. I held out for the full eight months though before going skin-tight. :oops:
  • kona_matt
    kona_matt wrote:
    prawny wrote:

+1. I too have succumbed to Lycra. I held out for the full eight months though before going skin-tight. :oops:

need to lose a few pounds before i even consider it!
  • Greg T
    kona_matt wrote:

No better reason to lose weight than looking good in your kit.

FACT.

Sadly I still look like a pound of potatoes stuffed into a condom.

• kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    kona_matt wrote:

They do lycra for the 'fuller figure' :wink:
  • il_principe
    Greg T wrote:
    kona_matt wrote:

FACT.

It's true - he does:

1+fat-cyclist-in-lycra.jpg
  • Greg T

It's true - he does:

You need a big hammer to drive a long Nail Jash.

Ask DX3 he's well known for having trouble with his excessively long stem.

• il_principe
    :lol:
  • kona_matt
    Greg T wrote:
    kona_matt wrote:

FACT.

It's true - he does:

jesus! i said a few pounds, not a few hundred!
  • hells
    hells Posts: 175
    get the road bike, it opens up a whole new world.

I used to only mtb and used it on the road also. Bought the road bike when I moved to London because its easier to go for a road ride here than a decent mtb ride. I ride xc so wore lycra anyway and the road bike has helped with my fitness for off road. I think I am starting to like road more though.
    Scott Addict R2 2010
    Trek 1.7 compact 2009
    Tank race elite 2007
    Marin Alpine trail 2007
    Specalized Langster 2010
    Kona Jake the Snake
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Greg T wrote:
    kona_matt wrote:

True. The large Santini kit from Prendas I bought finally fits perfectly, so I've just bought the medium........

Lycra stretches and I like to prove that on a daily basis.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    The perils of having the middle cut out of your saddle is all I'm going to say.

You're going to have to overcome being self concious about wearing lycra in the first place, so being a "full figured man" (like me) really isn't the issue.

Wear it around the house, to your parents (and in my case to the Grandparents).

You'll soon realise there is a little "swinger" in all lycra clad cyclists...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Greg T
    Asprilla wrote:
    True. The large Santini kit from Prendas I bought finally fits perfectly, so I've just bought the medium........

Lycra stretches and I like to prove that on a daily basis.

I was toying with the idea of getting the medium but consider medium kit to be a clear indicator of narcissism....

If the Large is not quite eye wateringly tight enough I may swap it down to a more tarty medium and work on my abs...

Someone pass the mirror.

• Underscore
    Underscore Posts: 730
    kona_matt wrote:
    I'm really after opinions on how much time a road bike might save me.

I would reckon on doing 12.5 miles in 40 minutes or less (hopefully) on my road bike - though it does depend on how rolling those rolling hills are. Add 5 minutes or a bit under on my 700c hybrid.

HTH,

_
  • snailracer
    snailracer Posts: 968
    Underscore wrote:
    kona_matt wrote:

I would reckon on doing 12.5 miles in 40 minutes or less (hopefully) on my road bike - though it does depend on how rolling those rolling hills are. Add 5 minutes or a bit under on my 700c hybrid.

HTH,

_
    If a road bike improves your average speed by 1.5mph, you will save about 6 minutes.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    kona_matt wrote:
    prawny wrote:

I'm still in baggies. A year on.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    snailracer wrote:
    Underscore wrote:
    kona_matt wrote:

HTH,

_
    If a road bike improves your average speed by 1.5mph, you will save about 6 minutes.
    So 1 hour per week, maybe 48 hours per year, so over a working lifetime maybe 80 days of your life saved, surely no other justification to buy a road bike is necessary :wink::lol:
  • kona_matt
    alfablue wrote:
    So 1 hour per week, maybe 48 hours per year, so over a working lifetime maybe 80 days of your life saved, surely no other justification to buy a road bike is necessary :wink::lol:

excellent justification!