afx237vi Posts: 12,630
edited May 2010 in Pro race
Saw this on Podiumcafe today and thought I'd share:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZp5pS-Zzwk

Worse than the Bos / Impey incident?

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    WTF. That is one of the dodgiest things I have seen in a bike race. That guy is a complete disgrace to the sport. Good video footage to catch that. I hope that guy is given a length ban and a fine.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • csp
    csp Posts: 777
    afx237vi wrote:

Worse. The guy who did it can be seen looking back to check whether his move had the desired effect. By the way, I still think the Bos / Impey incident was actually an accident.
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    WOW. That guy should be kicked out of pro cycling! That's MUCH worse than someone doping - he literally could have killed Bahati. You can see him deliberately move 3 feet over and into Bahati. And given the comments by the winner of the race, he was fighting with bahati prior to that, so definitely deliberate.
  • Guy takes corner, rear wheel skids, recovers but cuts across the guy?

Quite possible.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • NicFrance
    NicFrance Posts: 256
    I have never seen something like that before. The horror.
  • NicFrance
    NicFrance Posts: 256
    Guy takes corner, rear wheel skids, recovers but cuts across the guy?

Quite possible.

What corner? They're riding straight on.
  • rockmount
    rockmount Posts: 761
    Always best leave no stone unturned when jumping to conclusions ...
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • NicFrance wrote:

Quite possible.

I assume the big white line visible is the finishing one. From another angle the riders turn right onto that straight, just at the point where the crash occurs.

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    NicFrance wrote:

Quite possible.

I assume the big white line visible is the finishing one. From another angle the riders turn right onto that straight, just at the point where the crash occurs.

Kinda agree here this is not as obvious as is being made out as the first real sight of it at is just after the corner and the movement had already started by then. I think he is being condemned by the look back and it seems going by that article not all riders blame Keogh

"Jamis-Sutter Home’s Borrajo was more direct in his opinion following the race. “Bahati today was so crazy,” said Borrajo. “It was wrong, he was so wrong, because he was fighting the United guy in the train. I don’t know why he was fighting for the train’s wheel. He was bad. He was wrong and he made the crash.”"
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    To me it looked like they took the corner at high speed and the guy just overcompensates coming out of the bend and so he ends up sweeping across. Bad riding but it's perhaps not deliberate.

I raced once in a US crit when Bahati was a scrawny kid with legs like matchsticks. The riding standards were shocking, riders were pushing for position with force rather than skill. One race was enough, I stuck to a hill climb afterwards.
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    I seen something similar before in the Nissan Classic - luckily no one was taken out then but when they went round a corner the guys foot came out of the pedal which made him serve across the bunch like that - I think it may have been Phil Anderson but can't remember.
  • Kléber wrote:
    I raced once in a US crit when Bahati was a scrawny kid with legs like matchsticks. The riding standards were shocking, riders were pushing for position with force rather than skill. One race was enough, I stuck to a hill climb afterwards.

A team mate made good money out in California on the crit scene, and openly admits to being full of roids and charge at the time, along with everyone else. Sounds like a strange world to be in :shock:

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • tomb8555
    tomb8555 Posts: 229
    jp1985 wrote:

"The crash led to a bizarre turn of events in which Bahati, standing at the edge of the race course, threw his sunglasses into UHC rider Andrew Pinfold’s front wheel from the middle of the road on the penultimate lap. The glasses ripped Pinfold’s computer sensor off of his fork and when the errant sensor entered his front wheel, it took away his team’s chances at the win."

I think that's the utterly disgraceful thing. The crash could have happened for whatever reason, but there's no excuse for purposefully trying to take down another rider out of spite. That should get a ban, not the first incident.

I see further in the article that Bahati regrets that little incident, but still. The crash may not have been intentional, but his attempt at taking out a rider certainly was cold and calculated.
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    A team mate made good money out in California on the crit scene, and openly admits to being full of roids and charge at the time, along with everyone else. Sounds like a strange world to be in :shock:
    Can't be true. Steroid use might be 'As American as apple pie', to take a quote from the film 'Bigger, stronger, faster', but American bike riders don't dope, apart from the odd one led astray by associating with riders from the 'Mafia' European nations. That's the truth, Pat McQuaid said so. :roll:
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Taking steroids isn't really doping though, is it, cos all those cool Euro dudes in the 80s did it.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • BikingBernie
    DaveyL wrote:
    Taking steroids isn't really doping though, is it, cos all those cool Euro dudes in the 80s did it.
    It's certainly not cool when you take enough steroids to do this to yourself.

tammy-thomas.jpg
    'Tammy' Thomas.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    I thought it was only r-epo and '800 mL of packed cells' that were bad, because 'roids "don't really change the outcome of races". Or is that wrong now?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • BikingBernie
    DaveyL wrote:
    I thought it was only r-epo and '800 mL of packed cells' that were bad, because 'roids "don't really change the outcome of races". Or is that wrong now?
    I have never said that steroid use could never affect the outcome of a race. However, I am sure that, unlike epo and blood-doping, steroids are incapable of, for example, turning a Tour no-hoper ( the sort of rider who consistently loses 6- 7 minutes in a flat TT and as much as half an hour on a big mountain stage) into a multiple 'winner'.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    afx237vi wrote:

Was there even any "outcome" to the Boz / Impey incident???
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    dennisn wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

Was there even any "outcome" to the Boz / Impey incident???

Bos got a 3 month suspension.
  • dennisn
    Kléber wrote:

I have to agree with you on this. It's sometimes hard to believe the hard feelings, swearing, b*tching, moaning, groaning, and even fights that happen during and after
    bike races here in the States. This seems to be true from lowly club level races all the way to the top tier. A few years back a couple of our younger club racers started actually throwing punches at each other DURING a club crit. A CLUB CRIT. They caused a crash that took out 2 other riders. I was the race official that night and I threw both of them out of the club for the rest of the season. To top it all off, they both bitched that I was being too harsh. Some of the sh*t that racers do and say is unbelievable.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    I'm surprised to see people say about the violence in the US crits. I guess it goes to show why Road Cycling is and always will be European. Maybe some of those idiots should try that in a kermesse...lol that would be funny.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dennisn
    I'm surprised to see people say about the violence in the US crits. I guess it goes to show why Road Cycling is and always will be European. Maybe some of those idiots should try that in a kermesse...lol that would be funny.

4 weeks ago our club had it's annual Equinox Ride. A 52 mile out and back RIDE. No trophies, no money, no fame, nothing. We don't even post RESULTS. It was very windy that day and one of the sag wagons pulled a small group of riders up to the, so called,
    lead group of 3. All in fun of course. Well, one of the lead three was just livid about this
    grave transgression of whatever. Even though he was the first finisher he b*tched about it for an hour to everyone who finished and anyone who would listen. Too much red meat I say.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    From that clip - I cant judge it at all. I'm impressed at peoples powers to make judgements.

Bang out of order to throw things at a rider though.
  • BikingBernie
    dennisn wrote:
    It's sometimes hard to believe the hard feelings, swearing, b*tching, moaning, groaning, and even fights that happen during and after bike races here in the States. This seems to be true from lowly club level races all the way to the top tier.
    dennisn wrote:
    Too much red meat I say.
    More like the effect of all that brainwashing Americans get from birth to the effect that 'winning is everything' and to be second is merely to be the first 'loser'...

I much prefer Beryl Burton's take on bike racing. Here she talks about the celebrations after she won 25 consecutive women's BBAR titles.

In the early hours of the morning in a room at the Midland Hotel a small gathering which constituted just about all the active members of the Morley Cycling Club had a quiet party. They gave me a lovely cake in the form of a '25' and iced in the Morley colours; there was a racing wheel also decked out in the club colours and covered with orchids and a scripted message of congratulation; there were mince pies, cakes and chocolates and lots of other goodies. I sat on the floor and munched cake, drank apple juice and realised that this, really, was what it was all about. The fellowship of like-minded folk who, in their various ways, were part of the greatest sport in the world. They knew what it was like to push through a howling wind in pouring rain with a determination to finish; they knew the discomfort of standing and shivering in the road at a junction to point the way, not only for riders such as B. B. but for any novice junior who happened to be riding; they knew the tediousness of collecting entries and typing out start sheets; they knew that, for there to be a winner, there had to be losers - except that in this sport there are no losers. To be part of it gives you something nobody else has. Others may not fully understand - but if you are a cyclist you understand, don't you?
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    That's beautiful.
  • dennisn
    dennisn wrote:
    It's sometimes hard to believe the hard feelings, swearing, b*tching, moaning, groaning, and even fights that happen during and after bike races here in the States. This seems to be true from lowly club level races all the way to the top tier.
    dennisn wrote:
    Too much red meat I say.
    More like the effect of all that brainwashing Americans get from birth to the effect that 'winning is everything' and to be second is merely to be the first 'loser'...

I much prefer Beryl Burton's take on bike racing. Here she talks about the celebrations after she won 25 consecutive women's BBAR titles.

In the early hours of the morning in a room at the Midland Hotel a small gathering which constituted just about all the active members of the Morley Cycling Club had a quiet party. They gave me a lovely cake in the form of a '25' and iced in the Morley colours; there was a racing wheel also decked out in the club colours and covered with orchids and a scripted message of congratulation; there were mince pies, cakes and chocolates and lots of other goodies. I sat on the floor and munched cake, drank apple juice and realised that this, really, was what it was all about. The fellowship of like-minded folk who, in their various ways, were part of the greatest sport in the world. They knew what it was like to push through a howling wind in pouring rain with a determination to finish; they knew the discomfort of standing and shivering in the road at a junction to point the way, not only for riders such as B. B. but for any novice junior who happened to be riding; they knew the tediousness of collecting entries and typing out start sheets; they knew that, for there to be a winner, there had to be losers - except that in this sport there are no losers. To be part of it gives you something nobody else has. Others may not fully understand - but if you are a cyclist you understand, don't you?

The red meat thing was a little tongue in cheek, to be honest. Also, just to be clear, most of the "bad behavior", if you will, is pretty much confined to the racing crowd and not your average , just out there for fun "tourist". I sort of believe that a lot of the arrogance, if that's the right word, is that a lot of racers see themselves as almost pros. A little puffed up, if you get my meaning? Lots of them ride and race a whole lot of the time, are tired and somewhat irritable, which puts them in a bad mood. Then the race, which never goes perfectly to suit them, doesn't help matters. For me anyway, it doesn't seem hard to see what's happening. And yes, as a famous football coach once put it "Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing".
  • BikingBernie
    dennisn wrote:
    as a famous football coach once put it "Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing".
    Wasn't that Vince Lombardi the American football player / coach?

In contrast here are the views of a Frenchman called Pierre de Coubertin:

“The most important thing in the Olympic Games is not winning but taking part; the essential thing in life is not conquering but fighting well.”

I think that the obvious difference in attitude here is still evident today in cycle sport today, with 'The French' admiring someone who rides with 'panache' and courage but doesn't win more than someone who does win but does so in a mechanical and calculated way. Unfortunately, many Americans inevitably see cycling, and especially events like the Tour, through 'American eyes' and assume that riders and spectators in France have the same attitudes as they do. Hence all the nonsense that one sees about 'The French' 'hating' anyone who wins the Tour who isn't French and so on. What they actually mean is that if the Tour were an American event Americans would hate anyone who won it who wasn't an American!

In my experience 'The French' are also far less 'tribal' when it comes to sport than 'Anglo-Saxons' tend to be. I watched the World Cup at a party organised by some of my neighbours in the village where I live and although they were obviously rooting for France, they still acknowledged the skill of the Italians. Most telling was when people said things like 'What a pity but they played well'. 'They played well'. A Brit or American would probably say 'We played well'.
  • BikingBernie
    Tusher wrote:
    That's beautiful.
    Yes, isn't it? I count myself lucky that I experienced the end of the 'glory days' of Britain's cycling club culture when the 'social' aspects of cycling meant as much as the competition. Now of course people are far more 'individualistic' and 'there is so such thing as society', in turn rather than going out on mass club runs for the enjoyment of being with others, many cyclists roll around the countryside with only a power meter for company, dreaming of the day when they will become 'winners' and in so doing not realising how much they have already lost.