Amstel Gold

Pokerface
Pokerface Posts: 7,960
edited April 2010 in Pro race
So.... who'd going to do it?

Will we see history and Cancellara take it (unlikely - but you want to bet against him if he's going for it?).

Will we see Omega Pharma's first win with Pip?

Or the Schlek's finally coming out to play.

Gesink? Others?

Comments

• calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    I reckon this might be the weakest/most out of form (cleanest?) field for years.

There are so few riders who can really punch uphill, like a Bettini or a Rebellin. It's Valv's for the taking really.

Still not going to pick him for PTP tho, the swine :twisted:

Strava is not Zen.
  • Sammy Sanchez?
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Or Rodriguez, although I'm not sure the Cauberg is steep enough for him. He only seems to like the 20% stuff :shock:
  • This seems to be the start list? http://www.amstelgoldrace.nl/index.php?pageId=33

I think I'll try and watch this one with the schleck's there. Haven't seen either of them this year.
    The British Empire never died, it just moved to the Velodrome
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    when will the PTP open for this one?
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    This seems to be the start list? http://www.amstelgoldrace.nl/index.php?pageId=33

I think I'll try and watch this one with the schleck's there. Haven't seen either of them this year.

Looks like last years list, bit odd they still have that up!?
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    No Cancellara.
    I think he's probably earned his day off.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Is Valvarde riding?

If so, he's the man to beat.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Looks as if the eruption is going to effect the field.
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/amstel- ... allajokull
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Looks as if the eruption is going to effect the field.
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/amstel- ... allajokull

So looks like Karsten Kroon is the hot favourite!
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Sastre won't be there
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • afx237vi
    How come Froome is expected to drive from Tuscany but Wiggo gets the weekend off (from Girona)? Lightweight!

http://www.teamsky.com/article/0,,17546 ... 01DBC.html

Anyway, how come the Sky magic bus can't drive down and pick him up? It's like a 5 star hotel on wheels, or so I hear, so it's probably preferable to a first class air trip (on Easyjet).
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    Proof of Bradley's laziness:

Froome route: Quarrata - Maastricht
    Time 11h36 of which 10h44 on motorways
    Distance 1188 km

Wiggins route: Girona - Maastricht
    Time 11h41 of which 11h10 on motorways
    Distance 1264 km

unless of course he's in the UK in which case every ferry, train is booked so he'd be trapped.
  • iainf72
    afx237vi wrote:

Anyway, how come the Sky magic bus can't drive down and pick him up? It's like a 5 star hotel on wheels, or so I hear, so it's probably preferable to a first class air trip (on Easyjet).

He probably leaves hair everywhere and insists on playing rubbish guitar music :wink:
  • afx237vi
    It says in the link I posted that he's in Girona.

According to Manuel Quinziato's Twitter, he arrived in his hotel 24 hours after leaving his home in Italy.

I bet the team bus drivers / mechanics are having a sly chuckle at all this. They do this stuff all year round!
  • iainf72
    Sometime poster here, Legaupe tweeted Robbie Hunter yesterday that it's like how cycling was before budget airlines.
  • iainf72
    Valv.Piti and LL Sanchez out
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    according to some spanish people in marca, Valverde and LL Sanchez are in Maastrich right now so should be ok tomorrow.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Now confirmed by Spanish papers that they are out, J-Rod managed to get there by flying to Zurich and then driving with Pozzatto to Maastrich.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Old skool.

Driving with teammates across Europe to the start lines.

Cool.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Apparently a group of Footon riders drove by car from Santander, 1400 km. Much further than Girona....
  • iainf72
    Wonder if we'll get any race pictures tomorrow. If nothing can fly, they'll have a lot of difficulty getting pictures out.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,477
    Helicopters and turbo prop planes should be fine, it's whether they need a jet powered aircraft high up that'll decide that.

We'll see the finish for sure as they have static cameras on the Cauberg.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,869
    pah! they should ride there
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    UCI will now allow teams to ride with min of 3 riders.
    iainf72 wrote:
    Wonder if we'll get any race pictures tomorrow. If nothing can fly, they'll have a lot of difficulty getting pictures out.
    Dutch transport minister Eurlings has OK'd the flying bit, but Kenny v H has tweeted that Eurosport will be showing Turkey live, cos no live AGR. :?
    andyp wrote:
    Helicopters and turbo prop planes should be fine, it's whether they need a jet powered aircraft high up that'll decide that.

With the ash cloud at +5000m, that's what I think, too.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mididoctors
    UCI will now allow teams to ride with min of 3 riders.
    iainf72 wrote:
    Dutch transport minister Eurlings has OK'd the flying bit, but Kenny v H has tweeted that Eurosport will be showing Turkey live, cos no live AGR. :?
    andyp wrote:

With the ash cloud at +5000m, that's what I think, too.

BBC just had news that particulate matter is now above essex at a mere 3000m and reached ground level in warwickshire overnight
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    if there is no tv coverage does this effectively mean the DS's in the following cars have no coverage either?
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    if there is no tv coverage does this effectively mean the DS's in the following cars have no coverage either?

Bring back the days of relying on 'radio tour' and the man with the chalkbord sign
  • So with 172 of the 198 riders expected to start, does that mean their taking entries on the line? How hard can it be?