Cavendish interview

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited April 2010 in Pro race
In the Guardian

Well worth a read

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/ap ... -de-france

Mr Wiggins, maker of friends :lol:
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    I didn't learn that much reading that, except he thinks making noises about Greipel's career is a joke and he cooks like a sissy. A blend between bullyboy and Anthony Worrall-Thompson?
  • iainf72
    I thought it was amusing the way it was written, so you get a feel for what his behaviour was like during the interview.
  • Agreed Kleber. Also I don't see why Wiggins is so off the mark about Sky being the right fit for Cavendish? He wouldn't get much support at Sky at the Tour - they are riding for GC. He'd have to get points without [much] of a lead out. Cavendish doesn't make sense on that.
  • Kléber
    That's true, the agent/handler clearly prompting him. But it sounds like the interview lasted all of five minutes :lol:
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Kléber wrote:
    I didn't learn that much reading that, except he thinks making noises about Greipel's career is a joke and he cooks like a sissy. A blend between bullyboy and Anthony Worrall-Thompson?

That's how I cook. So shut it... :D
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • StefanP
    StefanP Posts: 429
    The orthodontic work has caused some complications with his spine but,

eh?? how does this work?
  • pomtarr
    pomtarr Posts: 318
    DaveyL wrote:
    That's how I cook. So shut it... :D
    Come on now. I refuse to believe anyone actually cooks like that. You're just increasing your washing up for no reason! :shock: :lol: :rant:
    "Difficult, difficult, lemon difficult"
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    StefanP wrote:

eh?? how does this work?

Here's a video that sort of explains it

http://www.thedoctorschannel.com/video/405.html?specialty=42
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    Yep.
    Status quo maintained.
    Still a t00l.
  • DavMartinR
    DavMartinR Posts: 897
    StefanP wrote:

eh?? how does this work?

I think the jaw is attached to the spinal collum and runs all the way down to the anus? This is why he is able to talk a load of cr@p???

If it was on the other side of the jaw it runs down the front of the body and connects to the testilces? In this can people talk a lot of Boll@cks???
  • I think Cav's great... I love the way he rides and the way he talks smack..

Far to many sports people are dull as dishwater...

Cav's not just a loudmouth, He's a smart guy who backs up his words with actions.

I can't wait to see him in green again this year... 8)
  • pedro118118
    Riccardo Ricco (even before the ban) was widely slammed as a big-headed mouthpiece, who needs to learn some manners and respect for others.

Yet Cav is a 'character' who 'walks the walk'???!!!

Don't get it.
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    Riccardo Ricco (even before the ban) was widely slammed as a big-headed mouthpiece, who needs to learn some manners and respect for others.

Yet Cav is a 'character' who 'walks the walk'???!!!

Don't get it.

Cav wins a lot of races and to date has not failed a doping test. Simples.

Plus he does not look like a weasel.
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • pedro118118
    Fair point.
    Personally I find Cav the Chav equally objectionable *

* I accept and admire his skills as a bike rider.
  • StefanP
    StefanP Posts: 429
    RichN95 wrote:
    StefanP wrote:

eh?? how does this work?

Here's a video that sort of explains it

http://www.thedoctorschannel.com/video/405.html?specialty=42

• Anyone who opens with "You came here today with the perception that I was an arsehole", probably is a bit of an arsehole.

Good rider though.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • shakey88
    shakey88 Posts: 289
    I think Cav's great... I love the way he rides and the way he talks smack..

Far to many sports people are dull as dishwater...

Cav's not just a loudmouth, He's a smart guy who backs up his words with actions.

I can't wait to see him in green again this year... 8)

+1 to that
  • Kléber
    The journalist didn't say whether they had their impressions confirmed or denied by the end of the interview.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    I want some journo to ask him the question of why he isn't with his fiancee anymore? Normally I don't care about these things but I have just finished reading his book and cannot understand how he can go from total devotion and mentioning it so many times to this:
    http://www.tdwsport.com/imagedesk/pic.p ... bshop=true
    http://www.tdwsport.com/imagedesk/pic.p ... bshop=true

I'm not judging him as I have no idea what is the story behind it...just curious.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Kléber
    He didn't write book so all the devotion stuff - not read it myself - might not have been guff from the ghost writer (Dan Friebe, I think).
  • Isn't Mark's agent Fran Millar (David Millar's sister) who is also heavily involved in team sky?
  • iainf72
  • Isn't Mark's agent Fran Millar (David Millar's sister) who is also heavily involved in team sky?

Indeed
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    Isn't Mark's agent Fran Millar (David Millar's sister) who is also heavily involved in team sky?

I believe so, he's represented by the Face Partnership which is co-owned by Fran Millar.

http://www.facepartnership.com/
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Not the best piece of journalism I've read. I suspect an exhausted Cav was told 3 minutes before the interview by his agent that it had been arranged, I don't recognise the journalist as having written about cycling before, although I could be wrong, and he just wanted to be anywhere else.

Plus, why was he glancing over at his agent so often? Was he afraid that there were going to be awkward questions about his brother, making him touchy and defensive?
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Cav seems to be on a bit of charm offensive at the mo, ' though probably with the emphasis on the "offensive". Compared to where he was in April '09, he's had an absolute 'mare of an early season and seems to be making himself available as some class of rent-a-quote - anything to keep himself in the press.

So far this year he said that San Remo' 09 was one of three occasions when he had to go 100% last year. A month later he said he rode it at 85%, picking his nose. He's been happy to build up his palmares on the back of stage wins against the might of Bianchi-Maxbo and Team Type1 on the Tour of Ireland and then criticises the "quality" of some of Greipels wins.

I think Cav might be thinking that 2010 will be as rubbish as 2009 was succesful and panicking a little
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Yes, I agree completely, LangerDan.

He did once say that he was well aware that one day he could have a dud season, and he must be terrified that it's going to be this one when he's so keen be in green in Paris.

Not to mention the personal stress he's gone through with his brother- and I can only imagine what that must have been like, but wee brothers were put on this earth mainly to annoy their wiser, older siblings-whilst supporting his parents through the trial, maybe or maybe not meeting his ex, and with the knawing sense that his dental problems were, to a degree, self inflicted. No-one actually needs cosmetic dentistry, after all, and I joked last year that his American sponsors would demand he had some, but it appears............well, I could be wrong, it's late and I really shouldn't be still in front of the 'pooter, but I feel sorry for him. He's young, he's reached the pinnacle of success, everything he always dreamt of landed on his plate(except an Olympic medal). Yes, he's worked damned hard for it, but then so do a lot of athletes without ever smelling the success he's had. Life just isn't running as smoothly as he would like it to right now.

He still needs a good spanking though.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    just read Cav's had problems on the family front. I imagine his ability to work at his job is affected badly, not only tooth probs but plenty sleepless nights poss. I like Cav, like the way he dealt with Ricco...armstrong and contador stay silent, Cav being so senior and speaks out, it matters when he says stuff like that.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    dougzz wrote:

that is a painful read, great that Kimmage has access...shows Cav is clean IMO, but very sadly very much doubt Cav will be able to leave that distress behind soon, when it is your flesh and blood it is not easy to walk away