Cavendish interview

2»

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Dave_1 wrote:
    dougzz wrote:

that is a painful read, great that Kimmage has access...shows Cav is clean IMO, but very sadly very much doubt Cav will be able to leave that distress behind soon, when it is your flesh and blood it is not easy to walk away

Are we talking distress of dumping his long time girlfriend 4 months before their marriage, accident of Bellis and brother in Jail? I wont give my opinion here.

“I would really rather not talk about it,” he says, “for the dignity of everyone, really. It will be in the paperback edition [published next month]. I say it bluntly.”

- This doesn't make sense. He doesn't want to say it in the interview ' for the dignity...' yet he says it in text. Basically he wants people to buy his book, even those who have already read it.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    I'm with FF on this one. Kimmage got himself strung out for a bit of book publicity.

The Johnny Bellis accident apart, every other "trauma" that has affllicted Cav - not wanting to see his parents at the TdF, not visiting his brother for 3 months, the break-up with his fiancée - is at least jointly down to Cav himself. Yet he acts as if these were grave injustices visited upon him from above. He's a young man, used to having things go his own way and suddenly he's thrown a few curved balls. Its life, you deal with it and hopefully learn from it to help you deal with the next problem. Perhaps its not so easy to handle it when you are in the public eye but by the same token, you don't go around, armed with a publicity agent and Greek chorus and then rail against the "unfairness" of it all

Not to mention his blaming the whole "Greipel" outburst on his teeth. - Sounds like Bob Stapleton smacked him on the nose with a rolled-up newspaper and told him to play nice or he'll be doing lead-out for Maxime Monfort at the Eneco Tour.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Agree with Dan. Sorry to say, but Cav does not come out of that interview in a good light. What kind of person deliberately ignores their parents when they specifically make an effort to come and see you on your big day?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    afx237vi wrote:
    Agree with Dan. Sorry to say, but Cav does not come out of that interview in a good light. What kind of person deliberately ignores their parents when they specifically make an effort to come and see you on your big day?

A cock.

Where it says "fool" read "coq"

That kind of shizzle might fly when you're 14 but not when you're an adult.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Surprised Kimmage didn't take him to task a bit more over all that. I wonder how long it'll take him to look back at all this stuff and cringe. Maybe never!
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Kimmage at least tried to peel away the layers, and it's one of the most sympathetic pieces I've ever read from him. I usually feel that sportwomen and men wish they'd never met him- his piece on Romero, for example.

Yes, Cav contradicted himself (don't want to talk about the break-up because of the dignity of others, but immediately saying it's going to be in his book) but at least he readily admits his faults.

He's honest, is Cav.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    You lot are a tough audience. Just because he's fully or partly responsible for some of these incidents doesn't mean he doesn't feel the pain. I didn't really see him excuse himself from the g/f breakup. Would it have been better to go through with the marriage to please her (and seemingly many of you????), live a lie and leave no one happy? Who among us hasn't treated people around us badly at some point. He leads with his mouth and certainly when it comes to the cycling stuff moves the story around a bit to suit himself at that moment, but I think on the personal stuff it's to easy too judge him badly.

Personally I'd much rather have his in your face, slightly ill thought through remarks than the sanitised PR output of too many sports people.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Strikes me that he's just a little extreme, and possibly not the most balanced.

Given the profiles of other prolific winners in cycling, it's not too unusual.

It explains a lot about his mental approach to winning, and also, ancedotally, his reaction to winning Milan - San Remo in light of Boonen's pre-race predictions.
  • iainf72
    And one from the Torygraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... rance.html?

"My nationality is irrelevant," he says. "Any respect I get is about my achievements. It's not about my country. It's about me. I put my country first before and I suffered for it."
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Another interview? Anyone would think he had a book coming out.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • iainf72
    LangerDan wrote:
    Another interview? Anyone would think he had a book coming out.

Nah, he's not winning any races so has a lot of time for chattin'.