Overbiking

Comments

• timmys wrote:
    I actually find people being "overarmoured" at trail centres a lot more amusing than people being "overbiked" personally.

I disagree! I would much prefer to be overarmoured than overbiked. WHat do you consider to be overarmoured anyway.

I'm quite happy to be flying round my local trail centre with knee and shin pads and elbow pads on. Might look stupid but gives you more confidence to hit the downhills harder and it also means your less likely to be out of action.

And to keep on topic. I feel very much underbiked with my entry level bike with 80mm crappy forks. Yet the other day i was giving it more on the downhill sections that a group of people i passed with some very nice full sussers. Orange i believe but i can't remember.
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • timmys
    timmys Posts: 191
    timmys wrote:
    I'm probably "overbiked" quite a lot of the time, and I'd love to have a bike to suit every occasion, but the fact is I only have space to store one bike therefore it has to be a compromise.

I actually find people being "overarmoured" at trail centres a lot more amusing than people being "overbiked" personally.

And this is also a very foolish comment in some ways... Do you know how many locals trails are around trail centers there are 3-4 other DH trails around cwm for instance that are the equal for the black DH trail. so how do you know there not locals hitting these?

Sorry for being so very foolish. In your infinite wisdom could you point me at the DH tracks at Thetford so I can "hit" them too.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    LOL, My point you have no idea where he had been or what he had been doing. yet you have judged him over armoured for it.. that to me is presumption mate.
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    hey waylander,

as i said i'm openly admitting to being a little jealous of people who can spend £ks on their bikes..alot of people seem to have somewhat more disposable income than me!!!

and i'm the only one admitting that.

think some people channel this feeling into one of superiority for getting by with less....its a fairly common occurence generally in life: "reverse snobbery" i believe its called!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited April 2010
    tsenior wrote:
    hey waylander,

as i said i'm openly admitting to being a little jealous of people who can spend £ks on their bikes..alot of people seem to have somewhat more disposable income than me!!!

and i'm the only one admitting that.

think some people channel this feeling into one of superiority for getting by with less....its a fairly common occurence generally in life: "reverse snobbery" i believe its called!

this is refreshing honesty and i think the first step for anyone who has an issue is to admit the real reason why they have problems with "overbiking"

its like when folk see an old man behind the wheel of a porsche, they think "what a waste, i should have that car, id drive it properly etc etc etc" i thnk folk see these big exciting looking bikes and envy them , so they justify their reasons for owning a "cheaper" bike by saying anything else is un-necessary.

theres nowt wrong with thinking, thts an ace looking bike, i wish i could have one as opposed to: thats a nice bike, you're a prick
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    overbiked is a subjective term. i feel many i meet on the trails at, say afan or brechfa are overbiked, 6 inch monsters is just TOO much, but in the alps, its just right. its subjective. personaly i like my bike for what i ride, and others like theirs for what they ride.

end of

I disagree, For affan a 6" works really well, they are alot rocky rooty sections and a ^2 inch bike is way way stiffer so you can hit them at alot more speed with that. So what the bike is slower in the climbs its far more capable on the downs.

So in IMO your fairly wrong in this statement, see how subjective it is.
    but is seed all its about. if i was racing down one of the singletracks @ Afan i would probaly go for a 160mm monster, this is FAST. Now, lets look at FUN. For me, the rooty, rocky gnarly sections have been put there to challange you. not do that you need to take a bigger bike. A bigger bike for harder trails just levels out all trails to the same level of challange.

Its like saying, "oh look, they have bult a new trail with a gnarlyer rock garden, i cant ride this, so im gonna buy a new, better bike so that my poor skills dont have to improve before i can ride it."
    If you just want to go fast buy a road bike and ride down some long hills, i ride off road for the challange. and to FEEL all the rocks, to FEEL all the roots, and to be challaneged, taking a 160mm bike to afan is like saying you would rather ride a smooth blue rout, but there arnt any there, so your gonna ride a massive bike to make it easy enough for you, or so that you can go fast and look good.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    overbiked is a subjective term. i feel many i meet on the trails at, say afan or brechfa are overbiked, 6 inch monsters is just TOO much, but in the alps, its just right. its subjective. personaly i like my bike for what i ride, and others like theirs for what they ride.

end of

I disagree, For affan a 6" works really well, they are alot rocky rooty sections and a ^2 inch bike is way way stiffer so you can hit them at alot more speed with that. So what the bike is slower in the climbs its far more capable on the downs.

but is seed all its about. if i was racing down one of the singletracks @ Afan i would probaly go for a 160mm monster, this is FAST. Now, lets look at FUN. For me, the rooty, rocky gnarly sections have been put there to challange you. not do that you need to take a bigger bike. A bigger bike for harder trails just levels out all trails to the same level of challange.

Its like saying, "oh look, they have bult a new trail with a gnarlyer rock garden, i cant ride this, so im gonna buy a new, better bike so that my poor skills dont have to improve before i can ride it."
    If you just want to go fast buy a road bike and ride down some long hills, i ride off road for the challange. and to FEEL all the rocks, to FEEL all the roots, and to be challaneged, taking a 160mm bike to afan is like saying you would rather ride a smooth blue rout, but there arnt any there, so your gonna ride a massive bike to make it easy enough for you, or so that you can go fast and look good.

i will remind you of this post when you can afford to buy a fs bike.
  • Thewaylander

end of

Lol this actually made me laugh..

Have you ridden a 160mm bike through afan? The main thing between a big travel bike and a shorter isn't it makes the trail easier as you describe. It is that it makes the downs faster and the extra speed makes the challenge.

You have missed all the points we have made completely.
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    this is getting so stupid- just ride what your happy with and feel comfortable with, and wear what you want, don't worry about what other people are riding, just get out there, ride your bike how you want, and have fun
  • Gilesw2010
    Gilesw2010 Posts: 121
    this is getting so stupid- just ride what your happy with and feel comfortable with, and wear what you want, don't worry about what other people are riding, just get out there, ride your bike how you want, and have fun

exactly - who cares what other people ride, how much travel they use or how much body armour they wear. Just go out on your bike and have some fun.
  • joshtp
    ok, ill admit, iv only ridden 150mm at Afan, not 160. an the extra speed is what makes the challange?!?!?!? why do i V. rarely get overtaken on my HT even on the busyest days?!? if i ever do it tends to be other HT's or 120 aproxx fs's.

also, i can aford an FS, and no doubt one day i will get one. but not my only bike, certainly not my only bike.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Thewaylander
    Just because you as a local are faster on your hard tail than a bunch of people that generally have traveled from across te water to ride there is no suprise... I

Rairley get over taken there on my 120 but i still can't keep up with my friends on 140-150 and so and another lad rides an SX trail coil sprung, where i could early last year when that had lower travel machines.

We will simply have to agree to have very differing opinions on this josh.
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    I think judging people on sight is a bit silly...for example last weekend you could of seen me in full pads, full face and googles cycling along a flat riverbank towpath on a 140mm AM bike, you might think "what a tw@t" but you wouldn't necessarily know I was heading to my local jump spot where it all makes more sense.

It's the same as if you see someone on a super carbon XC bike struggling up an easy hill - you might think "what an idiot for spending 4K on a bike and being that unfit" but he could be on the end of a 100km ride, you'll never know.

At the end of the day it's up to people what they ride and what they where, I couldn't care less as long as they have basic trail manners.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • joshtp
    ok, lets agree to disagree. However, i am "local" but i dont have a car, i probably ride up there every month or so, although some times more. I do know the trails well, but not that well. Esp the Wall (which i dont ride much as it anoyes me) and iv only done whites 6-7 times. ( most of my biking friends pansy out of the climb) although now Penhydd (my fave there) is closing Whites is gonna get more ridage.

also, how long have you been riding?!? iv been riding for just over 2 years. i am, relatively, unexperianced
    I like bikes and stuff
  • cgarossi
    cgarossi Posts: 729
    Theres no such thing as overbiking. Its just another term for jealousy in my opinion.

Buy what you like. Ride it how you like. And have fun.
  • Thewaylander
    i have been riding since i was 14... and im turning 30 in august. so a while.

For may years i rode street/trials and come from a fully rigid background which i used to traul round trails with my mates.

After uni i was outta the sport for a few years as my bike was stolen and had l Overdrafts from uni to clear lol. So i'm averagely experienced off rider.
  • joshtp
    cool beans. lets make up hey?!? i think that we simply disagree on this and that is that.

on an unrelated topic. you are near Cwm Carn, right?!? how is it up there ATM? really want to come up and ride the twrch and the DH which acroding to my mate is "fine! no worry's not even a little bit dificult, you just miss out the road gaps!" is he right?! is it ridable for a fairly technicaly competent trail rider?!
    I like bikes and stuff
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    edited April 2010
    timmys wrote:

I don't think there's anything wrong with overarmouring. Some people just aren't as good as other riders, and tend to fall off a fair bit. If they have to go to work on Monday, then wearing tons of armour probably is a good idea.
    I think judging people on sight is a bit silly...for example last weekend you could of seen me in full pads, full face and googles cycling along a flat riverbank towpath on a 140mm AM bike, you might think "what a tw@t" but you wouldn't necessarily know I was heading to my local jump spot where it all makes more sense.

It's the same as if you see someone on a super carbon XC bike struggling up an easy hill - you might think "what an idiot for spending 4K on a bike and being that unfit" but he could be on the end of a 100km ride, you'll never know.

Completely agreeing with you on those two points, I didn't judge the guy (so to speak) until I found out from my mate that he really was not going to use it for anywhere but the immediate area.

cgarossi wrote:
    Theres no such thing as overbiking. Its just another term for jealousy in my opinion.

Not sure about that, I see a few people who I think are overbiked, but my bike is the best in the world (IMO). I would love an orange 5, but every time I went to pick a bike to ride, I think the chameleon would win hands down every time..

Northwind wrote:
    The question is, is your orange 5 man losing out by having his big mad bike? If it was me, I'd probably feel I was, but presumably he doesn't, which is all that really matters.

We've had a few people come along to our night rides, one or two who have been riding decent suitable bikes for the terrain. Then they go off and get themselves a stumpy fsr or something, and suddenly they can't keep up any more, which holds the whole group up. And before you think, "ahh, they will catch you on the descents though", well, they don't. I tend to find people who are overbiked aren't good riders.

Northwind wrote:
    The one exception I make to that is this conversation, to be heard on internet sites the world over:

"Trail centres are boring"
    "Yeah, they're so smooth"
    "And no technical challenge!"
    "So sanitised"
    "So what bike do you ride?"
    "A hugely effective 5 inch full susser that smooths out every bump and makes every feature easier with a head angle so slack I can ride off a cliff without thinking about it and 2.4 tyres"
    "Cool, me too!"

If it's too smooth and easy, do it on a bike that doesn't make it smoother and easier.

Big +1. I'd heard all about 5 inch full sus trail centre bikes. Then I went to Afan for the first time, saw a load of people on them there. Couldn't believe it. Afan is as smooth and flowing as anything, riding it on a full sus would just make it boring IMO. (To be honest, some of it was a bit boring on my HT). I think someone said something about riding it 29er rigid? That sounds fun.

I'd also like to make the point that I would never tell someone they are overbiked - there's just no point. There's nothing really they can do about it once they've bought the thing. But when someone is asking for some advice on what bike to buy, then I would tell them if I thought they really need that much travel.
  • Thewaylander
    Uhm the red trail is good nic, was on it yesterday after.

But to my mortal shame i have never gone on the DH run. to many kids on it with huge bikes for my taste that steam roller down. But from looking at it i would say its all ridable aslong as you pay attention and i reccomend following someone the first time to get an idea for lines and speed as in places it gets steep and there is minmal breaking ability.
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    really want to come up and ride the twrch and the DH

The Mojo / DH is very rideable, it's 100% rollable top to bottom if you want. But it's by no means "fine! no worry's not even a little bit difficult, you just miss out the road gaps!" you need to keep your wits about you and for the first few runs at least pay a lot of attention to the route you're taking because different routes merge together and riders can come from behind and to the side of you.

Also, the Road drop gets mentioned a lot, mostly I think because it's where lots of people come to watch, but it's not the hardest part of the track by any means, it's only 3 railway sleepers piled up, but the steep tranny makes it a further drop the faster you go.

Most crashes I've seen were ether going off the bridge drop thing at the end and getting caught by the wind (check the windsock just before it and 'go low' if it's going mental)that’s usually a ‘day ender’ or panicking when a faster rider comes up behind and ether binning it trying to pull off at an odd place or going faster than they want too and crashing.
  • lexiekay
    lexiekay Posts: 379
    I couldn't care less whether people think I'm 'overbiked' riding round a trail centre.
    I love my bike, it rides really well, and the 160mm travel means I can enter downhill races, ride in the Alps, and yet still enjoy xc trails.
    As long as I'm enjoying myself thats all that matters!
  • ok, ill admit, iv only ridden 150mm at Afan, not 160. an the extra speed is what makes the challange?!?!?!? why do i V. rarely get overtaken on my HT even on the busyest days?!? if i ever do it tends to be other HT's or 120 aproxx fs's.

also, i can aford an FS, and no doubt one day i will get one. but not my only bike, certainly not my only bike.

Haha come back when you hit puberty
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998

Haha come back when you hit puberty

:roll:

Ironically immature.....
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • cool beans. lets make up hey?!? i think that we simply disagree on this and that is that.

on an unrelated topic. you are near Cwm Carn, right?!? how is it up there ATM? really want to come up and ride the twrch and the DH which acroding to my mate is "fine! no worry's not even a little bit dificult, you just miss out the road gaps!" is he right?! is it ridable for a fairly technicaly competent trail rider?!

The DH track is rideable / rollable on any trail bike, but don't think for a minute it's easy. What tends to happen is that on every uplift day there are a number of guys on lightweight trail bikes who think they are good trail riders so they come up without armour or FF helmets, complete one run, sh*t themselves, then do the XC trail. Nothing wrong with that though, the XC trail at Cwmcarn is great, especially if you're getting a bus back to the top!
  • Thewaylander
    I'm gonna go up one afternoon this year and play on it early in the day in the week before the DH peeps are up, or home from work and ride it a few times then :)
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    LOL, My point you have no idea where he had been or what he had been doing. yet you have judged him over armoured for it.. that to me is presumption mate.

You also never know what injuries they might be carrying, etc. People laugh at me sometimes for my armoured shorts, I tell them about all the steel in my hip and they tend to shut up :wink: I don't crash very much at all but I still pad up most rides because bashing yourself even a little bit can spoil a ride and I like riding more than I like limping.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cgarossi
    cgarossi Posts: 729
    cool beans. lets make up hey?!? i think that we simply disagree on this and that is that.

Yes. I ride it regular and I think myself as competently skilled rider (this weekends crash not withstanding) but I've not ridden with anyone else apart from my mate who is a good rider. So i've no one to compare to.
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    Northwind wrote:

You also never know what injuries they might be carrying, etc. People laugh at me sometimes for my armoured shorts, I tell them about all the steel in my hip and they tend to shut up :wink: I don't crash very much at all but I still pad up most rides because bashing yourself even a little bit can spoil a ride and I like riding more than I like limping.

Word - Guy in my local shop used to look at me funny riding my xc bike to pick up some odds and sods, T-Shirt, shorts, no helmet and one elbow pad - till he found out I've got a big metal plate just under the skin.
  • ill happily admit im just jealous of some1 with a different bike :) i use my saracen mantra frame with toras for anything i can ride lol, and i see all sorts about. i just feel like if u can afford to buy a big bike then might aswell :) if it means u feel comfortable riding about then go for it. doesnt bother me in the slightest :)
  • Thewaylander
    Real,

In answer to your point on the guys in your group swapping Full sus bikes and being slower I'm not suprised it took me a good couple of months to actaully learn to ride one correctly to be effeicent.

Also around Cwm on my stumpy fsr 5" i over took 5 people on hard tails ont he technical climb with no one over taking me the whole trail.. Now was i over geared or they under egared or was i just fitter because i have more time to ride than them?

In terms of overbiking I can't afford to have 2 bikes so i'm looking at 160mm bikes because i go to some jumps, i hits some downs and plan to go to the alps a bit. but i also ride trail centers and it will get me to the top nice and steady (lets be honest i don't give a monkies who is first up) and down with a huge grin. I would say thats very appropriately geared

And maybe i could do them on a hard tail but i ride in a very different way these days that i couldn't on a hard tail i hit much bigger lines i may not have been able to on the hard tail thats fun to me.

I will say its almost impossible to be overbiked/over armoured.
This discussion has been closed.