Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited August 2010 in MTB general
Personally I can't decide, you decide for me and give me reasons

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    both.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    For unicycling I p[refer full suspension.
  • hoochylala
    hoochylala Posts: 987
    You can't decide, although in your sig you state;

Hardtail = Win
    Full Suspension = Fail

:)

They both have their uses and merits....
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Your signature says otherwise
    Hardtail = Win
    Full Suspension = Fail

EDIT: Beaten to it by a fraction!
  • PamPen25
    PamPen25 Posts: 111
    hoochylala wrote:
    You can't decide, although in your sig you state;

Hardtail = Win
    Full Suspension = Fail

:)

They both have their uses and merits....
    GHill wrote:
    Your signature says otherwise
    Hardtail = Win
    Full Suspension = Fail

EDIT: Beaten to it by a fraction!

? +1 = :?

I like hardtail. More fun and IMO better looking! 8)
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    i have both and would deffo miss the full sus more, dont get me wrong the ht is just as fast but you need to be on the ball more, but stick the propedal on on the fs and theres not much in it efficency wise. fs is 150mm travel and 27lb though with fastish tyres ect, be a diffrent story on a 32+lb am rig.

fulls sus has more grip, lot smoother ride but slightly heavyer than the ht and slightly less pedal efficency.

hardtail shakes your teeth out on anything rough very skittish back end on the rough stuff, have to choose lines more carefully, bit hard on the back side, but makes up with weight, speed and efficency

id say the fs but only as its quite light and pedals well..
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    depends where i am riding that day
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Anonymous
    ok, hardtail win
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    erm nope not really.

if your spending around 1kish then yes but if you have around 3-4k then you can get a pretty light fast full sus bike, like a yeti asr5/ibis mojo,
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Both great. Rigids great also. Right now i'm loving my Hemlock because it's new, but I still reckon if I had to have only one bike, it'd be a hardtail. Glad I don't have to!
    Uncompromising extremist
  • dogboy73
    dogboy73 Posts: 440
    Full suspension for me although I'm not a big fan of complex rear suspension set-ups. I prefer the simplicity of a single pivot swingarm like on my Isis or the Orange Five Pro. I think there is a lot to be said for this kind of set-up especially in UK conditions. I guess it's less responsive this way, maybe, but more laterally stiff ....... kind of like a hardtail! :)
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    Got all.. HT, FS and a rigid "commuter" MTB
    You cannot be "elitist" or single minded about any design

Before you could possibly come to any conclusion you need to spend a few hours on a few bikes as not all HTs and FSs are created equal. For example I prefer a heavier All Mountain FS bike over a nimble trial bike due to my riding style. I've tried a few hardtails too and they're all quite different to each other.

Each design has it's merits and it's failings, there is no such thing as the perfect bike.
  • nickfrog
    nickfrog Posts: 610
    richg1979 wrote:
    have to choose lines more carefully

For me this is the essence of mountain biking (apart from overtaking big FS bikes down a technical hill on a humble HT, resulting in funny looks at the bottom from the man with all the gear but no idea).
  • Anonymous
    nickfrog wrote:
    richg1979 wrote:

For me this is the essence of mountain biking (apart from overtaking big FS bikes down a technical hill on a humble HT, resulting in funny looks at the bottom from the man with all the gear but no idea).

I'm 14 and I over took some guy and I really nice 2000 + Full suspension bike once, I felt pro :)
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    nickfrog wrote:
    richg1979 wrote:

I'm 14 and I over took some guy and I really nice 2000 + Full suspension bike once, I felt pro :)

He might not have been trying :wink:

Although I did have good fun chasing down a guy on a Fuel Ex9pointsomething at Cannock once.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    supersonic wrote:
    For unicycling I p[refer full suspension.

Rubbish, my unicycle is rigid, and I wouldn't have it any other way..
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    It's a bit of a false comparison too, since even within a category there's so much difference. Like, some people would have you believe that FS is easier to ride than HT, full stop. What would you rather ride down a DH course though, an Anthem or a BFe?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Uncle Peter
    Uncle Peter Posts: 324
    HT, I used to have a superlight which sold to buy a hardtail, I'm not sure a full susser can be used to its full where I ride, i certainly don't feel like i'm missing out by riding a HT.

I'm still waiting for the comment about HTs about having sex with yourself and FS being like having sex with some one else.
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    Oh god not again.......

While we are at it, which is best Shimano or SRAM? :lol:
    Craig Rogers
  • neninja
    neninja Posts: 424
    Just sold my carbon hardtail after buying an Anthem X

Preferred riding the Anthem in most circumstances - I'm not competing, just riding for fun. The weight penalty is negligible, it grips on the way up and gives more confidence on the way down. This is on a mixture of bridleways, tracks and trails plus the odd trail centre visit.

Plus I'm getting older and decided to give my backside a break
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    learnt to go fast on a HT, Now go alot faster on a FS so i say FS

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • al2098
    al2098 Posts: 174
    FS cured my lower back problem.
    Faster uphill and downhill.
    Costs more but you tend to get what you pay for in life.
    No contest really
  • cgarossi
    cgarossi Posts: 729
    Full sus for the rocks and bumps, but even the best full sus suffers at climbing.

HT for the whippet style hill climbs and races.

Both have their benefits and pitfalls.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    personaly HT.

now, Sram is CRAP, shimano is WAY better for evrything, it feels WAY CRISPER and more "posotive"

and Flats are for woosies! SPD's are better in everyway for everything all the time!

:wink::lol:
    I like bikes and stuff
  • cgarossi
    If that was true, everyone would be on SPDs and no one would be using flats.

I can see the benefit of flats for freeride and just messing about and SPD for cross country. I use SPDs mostly though.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    wow! i didnt think anyone would be gullable enough to fall for that! :shock: :lol:

i was only joking! its the classic 3 never ending "can of worms" arguments

HT Vs FS
    Sram Vs Shimano
    SPD Vs Flats
    I like bikes and stuff
  • cgarossi
    Oooookay.

Back on topic...
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    cgarossi wrote:
    Full sus for the rocks and bumps, but even the best full sus suffers at climbing.

HT for the whippet style hill climbs and races.

Both have their benefits and pitfalls.

specialized%20epic%20marathon%20carbon%202008.jpg

pbpic107786jy7sh3.jpg
  • cgarossi
    Thats a little extreme.
  • nickfrog
    nickfrog Posts: 610
    al2098 wrote:
    Costs more but you tend to get what you pay for in life.

Very true. A £2K mainstream FS bike or a £4K Ti HT ?

I know which one I'd rather have... and its rear does not bounce (much).