Summer commuter clothing... jerseys!

2»

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    seataltea wrote:
    Can I clarify....

Does wearing the clothing discussed here improve/quicken your ride to and from work in any way ?

As a protest I shall be commuting in wellies, fishnets, sou'wester and a cowboy hat for the rest of this week to redress the commuting balance.

Apologies for not fitting in here :lol: but I could have asked the same question in Roadie, MTB, Sportive or Touring, guess I'm a weekend sportourmuting warrier who likes a bit of dirt and enjoys comfortable clothing!

So to clarify, yes the right clothing makes a massive difference. :wink:
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    seataltea wrote:
    The commuting thread is really going down the pan, it needs to get back to what it's all about.......advice about riding to work and back.

Have you measured your thighs recently?

Also - do you have any advice for me on which hybrid I should buy, whilst we are at it - do you have any experience of hi-vis Sam brownes?

But mainly - please describe your rippling Quads.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Like that Lit - not heard of them before - are they expensive ?

Hmmmm.

Compared to, say, evans, yes, they are. Compared to assos or (pah) Rapha, no, they're not. And I just rang them to check on sizing, very helpful and friendly indeed!

I read somewhere that they'll do made to measure stuff for an extra £20 too. I'm getting a pair of their shorts on pay day it's all I can afford sadly.

I love the mens version of the jersey you posted to.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    seataltea wrote:
    As a protest I shall be commuting in wellies, fishnets, sou'wester and a cowboy hat for the rest of this week to redress the commuting balance.

You know the RULES, we're gonna need pics. Before and after please. :D
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    ...very helpful and friendly indeed!

+1

I've got a couple of the Sportive tops (black with white hoop) which I'm really happy with. They fit my, er, 'average' figure a treat (I'm a large at 5' 10'' and 13(ish) stone)...which is nice to get from cycling gear.

Got a pair of the bib shorts (cheaper ones) which are great for short distances, I haven't tried them for a longer journey yet as the Santini ones I got cheap from CRC a few months back are doing their job...don't want to change anything that's working!

I've also got one of the gilets. Didn't really know if I wanted one or not to be honest but, having purchased it, I have to say it's a 'triffic bit of kit for those mornings that haven't decided if they're crisp or warm yet...and there's a lot of those in spring months! Out in that and when it warms up it packs down really easily into my jersey pocket (oh yeah, the pockets on the jersey are massive!).

Would recommend to anybody.
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Anyone got some recommendations for a slightly larger framed man like myself? not keen to advertise my moobs :oops:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    SecretSam wrote:
    Anyone got some recommendations for a slightly larger framed man like myself? not keen to advertise my moobs :oops:

Some people over in road moan that the shutt jerseys are too bad, maybe worth a shot? I wonder if they'll give me a free one for all the promoting of them I'm doing?

@ lastant

How short do you class short journeys? I'm thinking about these but I can't help thinking there must be a catch at that price.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    prawny wrote:
    @ lastant
    How short do you class short journeys? I'm thinking about these but I can't help thinking there must be a catch at that price.

Have used them on my longer commute day, which is eleven miles out to the gym, quick session and then seven miles back to work; then six-ish miles back home in the evening and have had no problems.

They're decent quality although thinner than my Santini Genesis One ones which I've used on my last (only!) two century rides. The Shutt's are certainly comfy for the other trips though, and probably would be for longer ones than I have done.

In terms of fit, the 'Sean Yates cut' they mention isn't that harsh. Would say they sit about three inches or so above my knee.
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    seataltea wrote:
    Can I clarify....

Does wearing the clothing discussed here improve/quicken your ride to and from work in any way ?

If so then can you enlighten those of us who are unaware of how it works......how it works.

Or are you just commuting prima donnas better placed amongst the weekend warriors that fill the roads on Saturdays and Sundays ?

The commuting thread is really going down the pan, it needs to get back to what it's all about.......advice about riding to work and back.

:lol::lol::lol:

Pics please!

Don't know about quicken, but definitely improve.
  • miggers
    miggers Posts: 269
    prawny wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:

Some people over in road moan that the shutt jerseys are too bad, maybe worth a shot? I wonder if they'll give me a free one for all the promoting of them I'm doing?

@ lastant

Hi Prawny - If you join the clubroom you can have 5% off...

As to the shorts no catch, I wear them pretty exclusively. I wore them at the mk 100 miler and the 100k dipper and not just cos I work at Shutt, they are a nice comfy affordable bibshort!

Pete @ Shutt
    Peter Bragg
    www.shuttvr.com
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,200
    I like the Foska Ace 8)
    http://www.foska.com/road-jerseys/mens/ace.html
    and the Foska A-Z, rather handy for the commute:
    http://www.foska.com/road-jerseys/mens/a-z.html
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    miggers wrote:
    prawny wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:

@ lastant

Hi Prawny - If you join the clubroom you can have 5% off...

As to the shorts no catch, I wear them pretty exclusively. I wore them at the mk 100 miler and the 100k dipper and not just cos I work at Shutt, they are a nice comfy affordable bibshort!

Pete @ Shutt

Oooooh how do I join the Clubroom? 5% off would have been nice on the order I've just made!

Looking forward to getting the jersey, and the armwarmers when they're ready... :D
  • miggers
    miggers Posts: 269
    Just follow the link - http://www.shuttvr.com/clubroom/

Free to join..

Arm warmers coming from factory in Preston as we speak... Pete
    Peter Bragg
    www.shuttvr.com
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    buuuuump!!

It seems Shutt vr has done well off my thread :lol:

So after my first sportive, first few commutes in my Gore Motion III and looming tour, I've decided I need another Jersey asap!

Struggling to find something that looks as good, is well priced and should be ok in the European June heat.

Quite fancy this Merino job as I'll be touring for 2 1/2 weeks pretty intensively but I think its too thick for 20-30 degree heat?
    Sugio Wallaroo 290 Merino short sleeve
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Sugoi ... 360048656/

Also looking at this, cheap and looks nice and retro/sublte at a decent price!
    Altura Classis S/S
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Altur ... 360048643/

Also this but its out of stock :x
    IBEX merino
    http://www.alwaysriding.co.uk/bargains- ... dppv3hh0g7