Summer commuter clothing... jerseys!

iPete
iPete Posts: 6,076
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
So after spending soooo much money over Winter, I now need summer wear, eurg :lol:

Picked up some dhd merston shorts last night but was stuck on what jersey to buy, bearing in mind they'll be used on my commute, sportives and a 2 week summer tour.

But what are peoples honest thoughts if they see another rider in something like a Northwave skeleton..
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/North ... 360049100/

Foska crash test dummy
http://www.foska.com/road-jerseys/mens/test-dummy.html

or a Foska Marmite, Hate Jams.
http://www.foska.com/road-jerseys/mens/marmite.htm

Also anybody know of any reasonably priced retro/vintage/classic but subtle cycle wear, quite like this..
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Altur ... 360048643/

p.s. ended up playing it safe with a Gore Motion III but still on the look out for a loud one.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Gore_ ... 360048403/

Comments

• prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Some of the shutt vr stuff looks really nice bit steep for me but like rapha only cheaper and nicer (imo) all of my jerseys except for 2 were from Aldi or Lidl and are up to the job despite a year of hard use. The Aldi summer cycle offers are normally first week of may so probably worth checking out. I need to get another couple of pairs of their mitts, they're great and £3 :D
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • iPete
    Cheers, going to check out shutt vr, rapha is deffo out my price range, saying that sounds like a trip to Aldi is needed for a few commuting tops..
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Try Prendas
  • Big Wib
    Big Wib Posts: 363
    well I've got the skeleton one as i was feeling childish and it's the only way I'll ever look thin :D

wasn't convinced by the crash test dummy as I thought it was a bit too much like an invitation........
  • 0scar
    0scar Posts: 219
    Try ebay - I got three Gore jerseys RRP £65 each for less than fifteen quid each. It's going to get washed after every ride, who cares if someone wore it before you?
    Commuter: Taped-up black Trek 2200 (FCN 5)
    Shiny bike: Pinarello FP2 (FCN 3)
  • Dudu
    Dudu Posts: 4,637
    Not tried the Shutt ones but merino jerseys are in a different league in terms of comfort/not smelling in 10mins. I have a few rapha ones and they are amazing, say what you like about the looks but I wear them due to the performance. I've got a draw full of synthetic jerseys that haven't been worn for 2 years as a result.

they are steep mind and nearly as good are ground effect jerseys from NZ. Similar merino material but much cheaper, about the £50 mark. The short sleeved one is called the median strip:

http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/product-d ... ED-SUM.htm
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Aguila wrote:
    Not tried the Shutt ones but merino jerseys are in a different league in terms of comfort/not smelling in 10mins.

I bought some Orca merino mid layers over winter... hoping they will do for summer.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • iPete
    Great stuff all, not sure how I've managed to overlook merino, love the stuff, ordering some merino boxers for my summer tour :lol:

Found that Sugoi do the Wallaroo 290 in merino but not a massive fan of the colours, baby/retro blue would go down a treat or black and white, think I'm just too picky!
    http://www.sugoi.com/usa/eng/Products/B ... 290-Jersey
  • fenboy369
    fenboy369 Posts: 425
    Was having the same merino thoughts about summer jerseys. Aint they too hot for summer wear? Or are they ok on their own...
    '11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
    '11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
    '09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
    '07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Foska Marmite is a classic
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Loving the Shutt stuff! How have I not heard of these people before? They actually do nice ladies' jerseys, unlike Rapha's utterly pathetic attempt.

01_Ladies_Banner.jpg

Lovely!
  • Jay dubbleU
    Like that Lit - not heard of them before - are they expensive ?
  • lost_in_thought
    Like that Lit - not heard of them before - are they expensive ?

Hmmmm.

Compared to, say, evans, yes, they are. Compared to assos or (pah) Rapha, no, they're not. And I just rang them to check on sizing, very helpful and friendly indeed!
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I just had a little look to see just how much the assos and rapha stuff cost :shock:
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    One of my favourite jerseys is the Ibex Fausto. Bought one, liked it so much I bought another :D

http://www.alwaysriding.co.uk/manufacturers/ibex-15/
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    suzyb wrote:
    I just had a little look to see just how much the assos and rapha stuff cost :shock:
    Now, I think Assos shorts are ok but the shirts are just, like, totally euro-gimp
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • lost_in_thought
    suzyb wrote:

Insanity, hey? Especially the Rapha ladies' stuff, you'd think they'd start out with something relatively reasonably priced until they sort of establish themselves as a purveyor of decent ladies' clothing. As it is they've gone in dearer than assos. Which is a bit nuts, really.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Found them - pretty reasonable for the quality - might treat myself if I get into this sportive lark
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    If I ever get to a size where I can get a pair to fit, I might treat myself as well :lol:
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    If I saw anyone in a Northwave skeleton, I'd probably be a little annoyed as I'm usually in mine. :D Recently, I bought a reproduction Del Tongo/Colnago jersey from Prendas. Next will be a pink Z. =)
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    suzyb wrote:

Insanity, hey? Especially the Rapha ladies' stuff, you'd think they'd start out with something relatively reasonably priced until they sort of establish themselves as a purveyor of decent ladies' clothing. As it is they've gone in dearer than assos. Which is a bit nuts, really.

Why do people get so annoyed about rapha stuff. I'll bet most people who slag it off have never tried it. The truth is that it is really very good, so much more comfortable than anything else i've worn (including assos). Do you criticise people who buy diesel jeans, timberland shoes etc etc?

I save £60 a month on fuel and parking charges, we all love buying bike stuff so why is it an issue to spend £90 on a jersey?

PS that shutt ladies jersey.... was it released on April 1st? :wink:
  • lost_in_thought
    Aguila wrote:
    suzyb wrote:

Why do people get so annoyed about rapha stuff. I'll bet most people who slag it off have never tried it. The truth is that it is really very good, so much more comfortable than anything else i've worn (including assos). Do you criticise people who buy diesel jeans, timberland shoes etc etc?

I save £60 a month on fuel and parking charges, we all love buying bike stuff so why is it an issue to spend £90 on a jersey?

PS that shutt ladies jersey.... was it released on April 1st? :wink:

I don't think I was slagging it off as such, why are you so touchy about it? Hmmmmmmm?

And was I criticising people who buy it? Well? Touched a nerve?

I stand by my thinking that they should start off cheaper than a known and proven brand like assos. Their hat and neckwarmer are pretty good.

And no, 'twasn't... why? I don't get it...
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    Wasn't directly talking about you as such, perhaps should be more clear. Your post made me think of the responses on here when the new rapha range was released this year, some really amazing venom towards people buying the stuff. Yet no-one bats an eye about spending £150 on assos stuff.

Sorry if I sound touchy! I really dont feel it, I feel a bit annoyed for rapha as much as anything, the stuff is beautifully made and really is lovely to wear and I bet very few of those criticising have ever tried it.
  • jpm5555
    jpm5555 Posts: 56
    I've just received a Shutt VR jersey and can't recommend the quality enough. Great jersey. On top of this, there was a small mix up with the order and their customer service has been excellent - well worth a look.

I also just got a Foska Duff Beer top....I found the Foska tops come up quite large, I had to swap one for a smaller size. Worth bearing in mind.
  • iPete wrote:
    Found that Sugoi do the Wallaroo 290 in merino but not a massive fan of the colours, baby/retro blue would go down a treat or black and white, think I'm just too picky!

I picked up the red long-sleeve and black short-sleeve versions of these from here a few months ago, when they had decent reductions on them. Doesn't look like they're on sale any more, but I think they're fantastic, not just for cycling (in fact, they feel almost too nice to ride in!). Almost wanted to get another, but worried that people would then think I was just wearing the same shirt all the time... Was down in London on the weekend (just wandering around, not on a bike - gutted I was unaware of the Tweed Run, but that's another story) and the long sleeve top was perfect all day and didn't feel cold in the evenings either.
  • iPete
    iPete wrote:

I picked up the red long-sleeve and black short-sleeve versions of these from here a few months ago, when they had decent reductions on them. Doesn't look like they're on sale any more, but I think they're fantastic, not just for cycling (in fact, they feel almost too nice to ride in!). Almost wanted to get another, but worried that people would then think I was just wearing the same shirt all the time... Was down in London on the weekend (just wandering around, not on a bike - gutted I was unaware of the Tweed Run, but that's another story) and the long sleeve top was perfect all day and didn't feel cold in the evenings either.

Thanks, the red is definitely growing on me, might swing by cycle surgery at lunch!

Recommend any tweed cycling jerseys? :wink:
  • seataltea
    seataltea Posts: 594
    Can I clarify....

Does wearing the clothing discussed here improve/quicken your ride to and from work in any way ?

If so then can you enlighten those of us who are unaware of how it works......how it works.

Or are you just commuting prima donnas better placed amongst the weekend warriors that fill the roads on Saturdays and Sundays ?

The commuting thread is really going down the pan, it needs to get back to what it's all about.......advice about riding to work and back.

As a protest I shall be commuting in wellies, fishnets, sou'wester and a cowboy hat for the rest of this week to redress the commuting balance.
    'nulla tenaci invia est via'
    FCN4
    Boardman HT Pro fully X0'd
    CUBE Peleton 2012
    Genesis Aether 20 all season commuter
  • holybinch
    holybinch Posts: 417
    seataltea wrote:
    Can I clarify....

Does wearing the clothing discussed here improve/quicken your ride to and from work in any way ?

Well I find having the right clothing DOES improve my ride to/from work.
    Let us know how you get on with the wellies ;)
    FCN 4(?) (Commuter - Genesis Croix de Fer)
    FCN 3 (Roadie - Viner Perfecta)

-- Please sponsor me on my London to Paris ride --
    http://www.diabeteschallenge.org.uk/cha ... n_to_paris