I'm a statstistic :(

2»

Comments

• Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Which cable out of interest? I use one of those Abus ones, I'm worried now :-(

A Squire one from about five years ago. I seem to remember it being reasonably pricey, no idea what the model was, though.

I will almost certainly be going with using both a d-lock and a cable lock in future. Need to devise some way of carrying both nicely on a bike.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Aidy wrote:
    Have you spoken to your bosses? Given them a sob story? Come on man! They're not short a few bob!

There's been some conversations, we'll see how they go. Nothing's been confirmed, but it is looking promising. I'm trying not to say too much.

Claiming on insurance, anyway...

Careful with that - my mum claimed on her insurance for a stolen bike, £300 worth approx, and has paid back 3 times that since as she lost her no claims bonus.

Might be worth doing some maths...
  • Aidy
    Careful with that - my mum claimed on her insurance for a stolen bike, £300 worth approx, and has paid back 3 times that since as she lost her no claims bonus.

Might be worth doing some maths...

Yeah, I'm reckoning on about £1k in value, and it's only on a year's NCB (so effectively I'd lose two).

I'm vaguely aware I'd be better off saying screw it, and hunting down something second hand once the excess is paid... bit late in the day now, though.
  • Aidy
    Well, it's with the valuer's custom build analysis whatsit now...
  • Aidy, I see LCC are doing a survey on bike theft to try and lobby the Police and the Mayor to take it more seriously.

Not going to bring it back, but worth filling in...

Linky - http://www.lcc.org.uk/index.asp?PageID=1798
  • Aidy
    Aidy wrote:
    Well, it's with the valuer's custom build analysis whatsit now...

... and they seem to have come upwith quite an insane figure.

Who'd have thought Shimano's skyrocketing prices would actually do people favours?

Except it was supposed to be a cheapish bike for winter. Bugger.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Nothing wrong with travelling first class :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Aidy wrote:
    ... using both a d-lock and a cable lock in future. Need to devise some way of carrying both nicely on a bike.
    That's a lot of weight. Can't you keep at least one of them at work?
    Cheers,
    W.
  • Aidy
    cjcp wrote:
    Nothing wrong with travelling first class :)

Wellll... the other aim was to have something I didn't feel entirely uncomfortable locking up whilst I popped into shops and stuff. Ah well.
  • Aidy
    Aidy wrote:
    ... using both a d-lock and a cable lock in future. Need to devise some way of carrying both nicely on a bike.
    That's a lot of weight. Can't you keep at least one of them at work?
    Cheers,
    W.

Work's okay for now - after last week, I've gotten permission to leave it in the building (and I've got it d-locked to a radiator as an added precaution).

It's more for hopping around town and being in pubs and stuff purposes. Although for the latter I generally try to lock it within my line of sight.
  • Mithras
    Mithras Posts: 428
    Aidy wrote:

We used Google Streetview to pinpoint the location, which somewhat amused me.

You'd be surprised at the tools, used...I use FB, Twitter, Bebo, and all sorts of other bits and pieces for solving crime...Google Street maps is a great tool because a lot of people couldn't point out their own house on an OS map...
    I can afford to talk softly!....................I carry a big stick!
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Mithras wrote:
    Aidy wrote:

You'd be surprised at the tools, used...I use FB, Twitter, Bebo, and all sorts of other bits and pieces for solving crime...Google Street maps is a great tool because a lot of people couldn't point out their own house on an OS map...

And your forensics people can totally zoom in and enhance the picture to see exactly where Aidy's bike is and take fingerprints off it. Can't they? Television says they can... :P
  • Mithras wrote:
    Aidy wrote:

And your forensics people can totally zoom in and enhance the picture to see exactly where Aidy's bike is and take fingerprints off it. Can't they? Television says they can... :P

Wow, sounds like the qualifications for joining Her Majesty's police force are a somewhat different to what I expected... I consider myself to be pretty proficient with an internet. I can use mouses, Gurgle Earth, MyFace, Bimbo, Twiddle, Doo-Dah etc (or whatever they're all called), so I reckon I would be an unbelievably outstanding police officer. without even needing to get out of bed.
    Earn Cashback @ Wiggle, CRC, Evans, AW Cycles, Alpine Bikes, ProBikeKit, Cycles UK :

http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/stewartmead
  • Mithras
    Mithras Posts: 428
    LiT They can, it's even possible to tell where the bike has gone because we can track the heat signature from space...unfortunately because of data protection issues and the human rights act we can't actuallly use that information to arrest the Yeti that took Aidys' bike.

glauciaregina9 You sound perfect to me...join up now...I will warn you, sometimes you need to get out of bed...Nobody brings you coffee and donuts, you have to get your own!
    :wink:
    I can afford to talk softly!....................I carry a big stick!
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Mithras wrote:
    Aidy wrote:

And you can keep zooming down until they read the criminals name and address spelled out in the dna sequence. Can't they? Lit's previous postings say they can....:P