I'm a statstistic :(

Aidy
Aidy Posts: 2,015
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
Bike stolen, blah :(

Keep an eye out for it.
Dark blue Specialized Allez, 56cm. It's a custom respray, and it only has "Specialized" along the top tube, no other logos or markings. Carbon forks off a Genesis. I imagine it's fairly unique.

Hope/Mavic wheels. Blackburn rear rack, with a pretty unique mounting method (tubus top mount steay stay clamps to support the legs, with the top mounts being secured to the seat clamp using one of those M:Part clamps).

Stolen from outside St. Martin's Lane hotel.

I'll post with more details when I stop vibrating with anger, else I'm going to end up phasing through my chair.

Comments

• Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Sorry to hear that, that's so sh!tty, is that on St Martins Lane itself as I work up there a few days a week, will keep an eye out for it though
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Bad luck Aidy. Are you insured? I know it's still rough, and it sounds like you'd spent some time customising it, but a shiny new bike will help you get over it.
  • Aidy
    Paul E wrote:
    Sorry to hear that, that's so sh!tty, is that on St Martins Lane itself as I work up there a few days a week, will keep an eye out for it though

Yes, it was actually St. Martin's Lane (or close enough to it - May's Court).
    Cheers for keeping an eye out; annoyingly the most recent picture I have is a few months old - and pretty much everything has been switched around.

Still, I'll get a picture up soon.
    Canny Jock wrote:
    Bad luck Aidy. Are you insured? I know it's still rough, and it sounds like you'd spent some time customising it, but a shiny new bike will help you get over it.

I should be on my home insurance, I think. Although I suspect it's going to be awkward.
    Bike has been put together from bits and bobs here and there - sourced whereever I could find them cheaply/secondhand. Receipts may be fun.
  • Aidy
    So the extra fun of this is.

Today was the first day in the new office.
    I'd expressed concerns that bike storage wouldn't be adequate (at the old office, there was an underground car park) as soon as I was aware of the plans.

I was assured that secure bike parking would be provided, and that my needs would be catered for.

Arrived today, and spent the first hour and a half establishing that, in fact, said bike storage didn't really exist, as you couldn't get to the yard in question from the road. (Yard owned by the building and forms the fire escape, access is via a series of flats - which the building don't own, and thus can't provide keys to. Opens outwards but not inwards).

It was then recommended to me by management that I lock it outside the hotel.

Great start. Makes me happy.
  • Aidy
    Full Spec:

Specialized Allez, 56cm dark blue powdercoated frame. Specialized logo in white on top tube, no other lettering.

Genesis carbon fork (with the G logo).

Shimano 105 calliper brakes. Carbon effect cartridge brake pad holders.

Crud road racers - front missing bottom flap, tail flap on rear slightly bent upwards. One front stay secured with a zip tie rather than a screw, one rear stay broken and fixed by glueing bits of zip tie to it, and covered with gaffer tape.

Rear blackburn mountain rack, bottom mounts tubus seat stay clamps, top mounts M:Part seat clamp.

Ritchey ergobend bars.

Mavic Open 4 CDs on Hope hubs, DT plain guage spokes (except two on the front).

Selle Italia SLR Gel Flow saddle, nose broken. Ortlieb saddle bag mount attached to rails.

FSA SL black alloy seatpost.

SRAM dark grey bar tape.

USE Exposure light mount.

Ultegra 9 speed STIs.

105 Rear Mech.

Tiagra front mech.

Tiagra 9 speed cassette.

KMC 8 speed chain (yes, it worked).

Silver bottle cage on the down tube, with a Lezyne pump mount attached.
    One of the down tube bottle cage mounts was broked.

Schwalbe Stelvio tyres, front pretty knackered (and was a Stelvio front, from when they were front/rear specific). Rear was quite new, with silver stripes.

Shimano QRs.

Ultegra HT1 Cranks/BB.

Black ITM stem, 120mm, OS.

Cane Creek C2 headset.

Light mount on driveside rear seat stay.

Karrimor disc pannier mount on left rack leg.

Shimano SPD pedals - M520's, before they did the mudshedding bits.
  • Aidy
    Oh, and the irony isn't lost on me that I was crowing about a new bike just yesterday, either. :p
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    :x Not good.

Are you going to try the market over by Commercial Rd or Brick Lane, whichever it is?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Aidy
    cjcp wrote:

Are you going to try the market over by Commercial Rd or Brick Lane, whichever it is?

It's a bit of an arse for me to get over there, with both work and home being a fair distance from it. I might just take an extended lunch break, after all, I think it is kinda work's fault for promising secure bike storage, and then spectacularly failing to deliver.

That said, I'm not sure where said bike market is on Brick Lane, I've only heard of it through rumour.
  • Aidy
    Closest picure I have:

allez2.JPG

Different forks, shifters, chainset, wheels, stem, less patched up mudguards, but you get the idea.
  • Aidy
    Apologies for the millions of posts.
    Aidy wrote:
    I was assured that secure bike parking would be provided, and that my needs would be catered for.

But, credit where it's due.

The CEO caught me walking in with my broken lock, and did express his concern, and said he'd have a word with HR in the morning to see what could be done, and saying he'd get something sorted.

And the COO has, completely out of hours, managed to hear from his PA about it, and sent me an email with his sympathy.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Sympathy? Sympathy? New bike thanks very much indeedy.

Grrr etc. :x :x :x
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Aidy wrote:
    Apologies for the millions of posts.
    Aidy wrote:

But, credit where it's due.

The CEO caught me walking in with my broken lock, and did express his concern, and said he'd have a word with HR in the morning to see what could be done, and saying he'd get something sorted.

And the COO has, completely out of hours, managed to hear from his PA about it, and sent me an email with his sympathy.

It's all talk unless they compensate in some way for your loss
  • What was the police's reaction? Usual? Any CCTV around there?
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Sorry to hear of your loss...

I'm impressed with the ceo already having spoken to you, it's just words but at least they're sympathetic, especially given your previous concerns

*sneaks look at stats league*
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Aidy
    What was the police's reaction? Usual? Any CCTV around there?

I was impressed with how thorough the police were actually, although I think I surprised them by pretty much listing every single component on the bike in about 5 minutes. I've not had that many dealings with them in the past to judge if it was the usual or not, but they showed a lot more care than I thought they would.

We used Google Streetview to pinpoint the location, which somewhat amused me.

There was CCTV cameras in the area, and the police said they'd be asking the hotel for it (I know it went within a 3 hour window), I asked if I should also ask and was assured they'd be taking care of it.
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,170
    cjcp wrote:

It's also worth keeping an eye on Ebay and Gumtree. I had a bike stolen a few years ago that showed up on the former.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Also might be a good idea to let local bike shops know? bring a picture?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • BR 1979
    BR 1979 Posts: 296
    Sorry to hear of this.

So we might all learn from your pain, could you tell us the lock that was broken and the manner in which it was broken, please?

Bottle jack? Croppers?
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Aidy, sorry to hear about this. Hope you get it back. If not, new bike shopping is always fun :D
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    @Aidy:
    That sucks. Condolences.
  • Aidy
    I'm keeping an eye out on eBay and gumtree and stuff, but I kinda suspect that that'll be the last I see of it.

I was kinda feeling smug in the no additional bike expenses front, too!
    Hopefully insurance will cover, and hopefully I can convince them to pay out cash.
    I'd far rather build something myself again, I think.

Roadrat or Dew Drop, hmm...
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Aidy, sorry to hear about the theft :(

Mind you, I suspect the 'bent decided there wasn't enough room for him and the others, so one of them had to go :twisted:
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    Sorry for your lost. I know how you feel.
  • lost_in_thought
    Aidy wrote:
    I'm keeping an eye out on eBay and gumtree and stuff, but I kinda suspect that that'll be the last I see of it.

I was kinda feeling smug in the no additional bike expenses front, too!
    Hopefully insurance will cover, and hopefully I can convince them to pay out cash.
    I'd far rather build something myself again, I think.

Roadrat or Dew Drop, hmm...

I'd be prodding at the consciences of your bosses as well.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Sorry to hear it dude. It is a bugger, at least it was not nicked from your house......violation of property!
  • BR 1979 wrote:
    Sorry to hear of this.

So we might all learn from your pain, could you tell us the lock that was broken and the manner in which it was broken, please?

Bottle jack? Croppers?

+1

I'd be interested as well, going to be at the mercy of locking up my bike in central london soon
  • Aidy
    Oh alright then.

Looks like they've managed to get some sort of massive cable cutters on my (fairly substantial) cable lock.

I've not seen decent cables cut like this before; the normal fashion is to cut the outer sheath and then get smaller cutters on the individual cables within it. This looks like a clean cut all the way through.

In general, I reckon mixing different types of locks is better than one betterer lock.
    (If I hadn't been assured of secure bike storage, I'd've had my D-lock in as well).
  • lost_in_thought
    Have you spoken to your bosses? Given them a sob story? Come on man! They're not short a few bob!
  • Which cable out of interest? I use one of those Abus ones, I'm worried now :-(
  • Aidy
    Have you spoken to your bosses? Given them a sob story? Come on man! They're not short a few bob!

There's been some conversations, we'll see how they go. Nothing's been confirmed, but it is looking promising. I'm trying not to say too much.

Claiming on insurance, anyway...