Helmets

dugliss
dugliss Posts: 235
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
I know it`s a contentius issue and plenty of people don`t wear them but I was just wondering if the price point affects the safety of a helmet or just reflects the comfort and ventilation. The reason I ask is because I wear a helmet but it`s only one fron Tesco which cost a tenner. I`m quite happy with this in terms of comfort but it was drawn to my attention on here that it may not be that safe because it was so cheap. Would be interested to hear other views on this before shelling out on a new one

Comments

• roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    hotter less comftable. than less safe.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I would think Tesco wouldn't be able to sell it if it wasn't safe. Helmets have to pass certain standards so I would assume even the cheapest of the cheap have to pass otherwise they cannot be sold as safety devices.
  • dugliss
    That`s what I was hoping as I actually find it to be really comfortable compared with other helmets I`ve tried. The trouble is I`ve got a bit of a Phil Mitchell going on up top so you really feel all the uncomfortable bits inside the helmet. Does get very hot but I can put up with that
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    suzyb wrote:
    Helmets have to pass certain standards

I didn't think they did anymore.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    There is no law requiring bike helmets to be of a certain impact-worthiness

Most, however, conform to BSEN1078.

Useful references:

http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=4074

http://www.bhsi.org/index.htm

Edit: Changed wording slightly
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    There are also US standards some helmets conform to which are tougher than the UK or European ones.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • suzyb
    davis wrote:
    There is no law requiring bike helmets to be of a certain impact-worthiness

Most, however, conform to BSEN1078.

Useful references:

http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=4074

http://www.bhsi.org/index.htm

Edit: Changed wording slightly
    Really, so I could basically make a helmet shape out of cardboard and sell it as a helmet.
  • dugliss
    Really, so I could basically make a helmet shape out of cardboard and sell it as a helmet.[/quote]

This is what I`m worried about!!
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    suzyb wrote:
    Really, so I could basically make a helmet shape out of cardboard and sell it as a helmet.

Well, it'd have to be *really* thick cardboard...

You'd probably get in to trouble for selling something not fit for purpose, but the point I was trying to make is that there's no explicit law that says e.g. "A cycle helmet must be able to withstand an impact of 50g" (guessing at numbers)

Edit: Basically, I'd reckon most would be "safe enough". Check that they conform to at least BSEN1078, and according to the CTC link Snell's B90 standard is tougher.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    the best helmets have to pass australian standards.
  • northstar
    northstar Posts: 407
    With the way some Australians drive that doesn't suprise me (though I suspect it's more to do with their silly compulsory law).
    Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    you'll never get a straight answer on helmets, the best advice is if you feel safer riding in it, accept that you may have a low speed falling off that could bounce your head off the kerb and its comfy for you then go for it.
    If you think the only head impact you're ever likely to have is 50mph off their windscreen as you're mown down by a motor vehicle or you have a particularly difficult hairdo then don't bother.

Tesco probably benefit from economies of scale and bulk purchasing power to subsidise the price down to a level where they can get into the market, all of their bike kit seems just a bit cheaper then everywhere else and the bits of stuff I've bought has done the job.
  • you'll never get a straight answer on helmets, the best advice is if you feel safer riding in it, accept that you may have a low speed falling off that could bounce your head off the kerb and its comfy for you then go for it.
    If you think the only head impact you're ever likely to have is 50mph off their windscreen as you're mown down by a motor vehicle or you have a particularly difficult hairdo then don't bother.

I think all the non helmet wearers should test their skull against a kerb at 15mph and we wont have to have this conversation ever again :)

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • I think all the non helmet wearers should test their skull against a kerb at 15mph and we wont have to have this conversation ever again :)

What is it about being an advocate for helmets that makes people so deeply unpleasant about those who disagree with them?
    John Stevenson
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I think all the non helmet wearers should test their skull against a kerb at 15mph and we wont have to have this conversation ever again :)
    Good idea. What do we do if there is no kerb on our normal routes though?
  • CiB I have plenty of bricks to spare

John Stevenson Guess you left your sense of humour in your helmet?

PS lovely sunny day shame I am at work at 2pm :( Man flu has nearly departed though

• CiB
    CiB I have plenty of bricks to spare

Do you have any rabid tigers I could go out of my way to check my safety against too?
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    what i dont understand is people who carry their helmet attached to their bag rather than wear it
  • CiB wrote:

Do you have any rabid tigers I could go out of my way to check my safety against too?

Sorry afraid not, the best I could do is starve my Doberman and poke it with sticks then cover you in Reggae Reggae sauce. Not quite the same as a tiger but probably as motivating.

• kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    dugliss wrote:
    I know it`s a contentius issue

How did you think this thread was going to end dugliss?

:wink:
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    spasypaddy wrote:
    what i dont understand is people who carry their helmet attached to their bag rather than wear it

Especially when draped over the handlebars is way cooler.

p4040181_600.jpg
  • CiB
    CiB wrote:

Sorry afraid not, the best I could do is starve my Doberman and poke it with sticks then cover you in Reggae Reggae sauce. Not quite the same as a tiger but probably as motivating.
    That's lucky - the number of times I've been killed by starving Dobermans (Dobermen?) whilst cycling to work along empty country roads, covered in Reggae sauce, is just unreal. Thanks for coming up with a means of stopping this endless madness of unnecessary death - it was becoming quite tedious. (And serious injury, which is the same thing obviously.)
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159

What is it about being an advocate for helmets that makes people so deeply unpleasant about those who disagree with them?

+1
  • Eau Rouge wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

Anyone else think they left the house wearing the helmet and their Mum/Wife/GF doesn't like them cycling without one, then took it off when they got round the corner, because they're rebels?

One of my son's mates does that. He hides it in the hedge, though. :lol:
  • suzyb
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

Anyone else think they left the house wearing the helmet and their Mum/Wife/GF doesn't like them cycling without one, then took it off when they got round the corner, because they're rebels?

Yup did that.

That and tuck my walkman headphones away until I got out of site of the house then I'd put them on. When I got back I did the opposite.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    suzyb wrote:
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

Yup did that.

That and tuck my walkman headphones away until I got out of site of the house then I'd put them on. When I got back I did the opposite.

But.... I don't get it!

My mother constantly says 'I wish you'd wear a helmet'. Many exes have said the same. I have told them all the same thing - I don't like them, and I'm not going to start wearing one.

Surely it'd be worse if someone was in an accident and their nearest and dearest found out they'd been lying about wearing a helmet all these years?
  • But.... I don't get it!

My mother constantly says 'I wish you'd wear a helmet'. Many exes have said the same. I have told them all the same thing - I don't like them, and I'm not going to start wearing one.

Surely it'd be worse if someone was in an accident and their nearest and dearest found out they'd been lying about wearing a helmet all these years?

Ah, well now you've seen the difference between being a rebel and actually being too scared to be a proper rebel.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,416
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

Anyone else think they left the house wearing the helmet and their Mum/Wife/GF doesn't like them cycling without one, then took it off when they got round the corner, because they're pitiful?

I think this is what you meant to write. :wink: Really. If you don't want to wear one at least have the conviction to stand up for that position. As pointed out. if you did come off and come home with a big gash in the side of your head, but a strangely undamaged helmet, you are probably going to wish you had just worn the damned thing.

Anyway, heading back to the OP, I'd say the comfort and ventilation improves massively with price. This winter, I could have done with significantly less ventilation, but come the summer, I'm sure I'll be glad of it. I think one helmet manufacturer has started making winter snap on covers to block up the vents.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • suzyb
    In my defence I was a teenager at the time and wouldn't have been let out the house without a helmet on but it wasn't "cool" to be seen with one.

I do always wear one now though. Even though during my one and only major crash when I was wearing a helmet I was still knocked out.
  • rjsterry wrote:
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

Anyone else think they left the house wearing the helmet and their Mum/Wife/GF doesn't like them cycling without one, then took it off when they got round the corner, because they're pitiful?

I think this is what you meant to write. :wink: Really. If you don't want to wear one at least have the conviction to stand up for that position. As pointed out. if you did come off and come home with a big gash in the side of your head, but a strangely undamaged helmet, you are probably going to wish you had just worn the damned thing.

Anyway, heading back to the OP, I'd say the comfort and ventilation improves massively with price. This winter, I could have done with significantly less ventilation, but come the summer, I'm sure I'll be glad of it. I think one helmet manufacturer has started making winter snap on covers to block up the vents.

That's exactly what I meant to write. I thought it was obvious.