Overtaking a roadie....

13»

Comments

• Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Rolf F wrote:
    For extra effect, I would recommend cycling past no handed, quite upright, whilst peeling a banana.

This is top level stuff..

If you have the mad skillz to pull it off that is uber kudos.

However - I have the balance and skillz of a 15 year old ADHD schoolboy whacked out on red pop and in the grip of Tourettes.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Giant Jon
    Giant Jon Posts: 49
    Personally i find a subtle '**** off, ****head' would be the ideal reply, followed by me putting in whatever effort it would require to leave him as far behind and as demoralised as possible. Even if i could not ride the next day :-)

It's bad enough that he was so small minded, but to actually prove it by saying it out loud is just insulting. But i suppose it's no different to the silent message sent out by most BMW drivers as they blast past you and cut you up.
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    I lol'd a few times reading the later bits of page 3!

On a side note - whe nI pulled out onto the road today, I did not really look to the right (was going left) and just when I got on the road I though ~ "I should have looked in case there is a bike". A few second salter a bloke on a road bike, sportivly dressed pulled up and said " don't just look for cars". He overtook me but I stayed behind for a few meters ahead there was a bus pulling out and as I caught up I said ~ "Yeah thought of that when I puled out, sorry."

That is my story. :P

P.S. - he was not going too fast ( as in I was sort of keeping up on a MTB with knobly tyres) and seemed to be spinning the pedals quite fast, though not insanely so. I wonder why.
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    Valy wrote:

P.S. - he was not going too fast ( as in I was sort of keeping up on a MTB with knobly tyres) and seemed to be spinning the pedals quite fast, though not insanely so. I wonder why.

I do that when i'm trying to get the blood flowing properly in my legs in the morning, but it wasn't me. :P
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Greg T wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    For extra effect, I would recommend cycling past no handed, quite upright, whilst peeling a banana.

However - I have the balance and skillz of a 15 year old ADHD schoolboy whacked out on red pop and in the grip of Tourettes.

Cross posting, but this is the way to go:
    StuAff wrote:
    4507876970_888e2a68e2.jpg
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Or if you're a showboater, wheelie/manual past. Or if you can manage it, stoppie past. O_o
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • nstevo
    nstevo Posts: 42
    For those who have asked, no I'm not making it up, and yes the original scenario is 100% true - what would be the point of making it up? I'm just not used to this cycling business and thought I'd done something wrong. If its any consolation to anyone, I now have a very sore arse and am unlikely to be overtaking anyone for a few days!
  • BR 1979
    BR 1979 Posts: 296
    nstevo wrote:
    If its any consolation to anyone, I now have a very sore ars* and am unlikely to be overtaking anyone for a few days!
    Blimey, sounds like he really "took it out" on you. :?
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    BR 1979 wrote:
    nstevo wrote:
    If its any consolation to anyone, I now have a very sore ars* and am unlikely to be overtaking anyone for a few days!

you owe me a keyboard, a laptop and a cup of coffee.....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    BR 1979 wrote:
    nstevo wrote:

:lol:

One of the benefits of facemasks is you can be really rude and all he hears is kenny style muhuumph :)
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Giant Jon wrote:
    Personally i find a subtle '**** off, ****head' would be the ideal reply, followed by me putting in whatever effort it would require to leave him as far behind and as demoralised as possible. Even if i could not ride the next day :-)

It's bad enough that he was so small minded, but to actually prove it by saying it out loud is just insulting. But i suppose it's no different to the silent message sent out by most BMW drivers as they blast past you and cut you up.

I think the more civil.. " Do try and keep up" or the classic "It helps if you turn those pedals" would have enraged him further... then you have a race on your hands.. one you can't lose
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    jimmypippa wrote:
    Greg T wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

Cross posting, but this is the way to go:
    StuAff wrote:
    4507876970_888e2a68e2.jpg

Ha, that's me in the purple tweed, & black cap, and CP's mate Adam (not on the Farthing). Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but I've not seen it.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778

Ha, that's me in the purple tweed, & black cap, and CP's mate Adam (not on the Farthing). Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but I've not seen it.

In the stats thread... I know why you've not been there though :wink:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Clever Pun wrote:
    I think the more civil.. " Do try and keep up" or the classic "It helps if you turn those pedals" would have enraged him further... then you have a race on your hands.. one you can't lose

Yeah from my days of playing rugby and amfootball i always found that a smile and a friendly comment back often worked better to wind people up.

Something like "oh i'm sorry... you looked tired so i thought you could do with grabbing my back wheel for a bit of a rest".
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,416
    BR 1979 wrote:
    nstevo wrote:

:lol:

One of the benefits of facemasks is you can be really rude and all he hears is kenny style muhuumph :)

Indeed. Many is the motorist I have told to "Fuffing foof fwhere four fohffing"
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Valy
    amnezia wrote:
    Valy wrote:

I do that when i'm trying to get the blood flowing properly in my legs in the morning, but it wasn't me. :P

I see. That brings me to ask - do you people warm up before "commuting"?

For those who have asked, no I'm not making it up, and yes the original scenario is 100% true - what would be the point of making it up? I'm just not used to this cycling business and thought I'd done something wrong. If its any consolation to anyone, I now have a very sore ars* and am unlikely to be overtaking anyone for a few days!

I was asking just because it sounds quite extreme... oh well I guess you get all sorts - maybe some shit has gone dowm, maybe not. I dono.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Giant Jon wrote:
    Personally i find a subtle '**** off, ****head' would be the ideal reply

+1. If he got clever, I'd threaten to wrap his bike around his neck. End of.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Big Wib
    Big Wib Posts: 363

Are those traditional sunglasses?
  • snailracer
    snailracer Posts: 968
    Why, I'd have ripped out his guts and used them for inner tubes.

IMO it was an inept attempt at roadie humor.
  • Valy
    What the crack with "roadies"?
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Man I love passing road and race bikes (esp shinny new ones) on the commute ,on my old heavy MTB ! Some faces are pricless !

It is even better when you fly past them on hills or ditch them at the lights.

Passing someone on the flat or down hill is boring and easy for anyone. You need a bit of technique/skill and 'Balls of Steel' to 'do' others off the lights !

11.5 miles of commuting gets a bit boring sometimes :roll:
  • Valy
    HAHAHA!
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    HOHOHO!
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    HEE HEE HEE
    i`m a laughing roadie and you can`t catch me.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Levi_501 wrote:
    Man I love passing road and race bikes (esp shinny new ones) on the commute ,on my old heavy MTB ! Some faces are pricless !

Passing someone on the flat or down hill is boring and easy for anyone. You need a bit of technique/skill and 'Balls of Steel' to 'do' others off the lights !

off the lights is fairly easy, as road bikes tend to be clipless, so even on the slow commute bike by the time they've clipped in quite often I've cleared to junction.

taking some one who is trying on the flat is a whole other ball game, or at least can be.
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    Levi_501 wrote:

You know road bikes don't come with engines, right?
    The guy on them is faster on one than he would be on a MTB, your slower on your MTB than you would be on a road bike. You're relative speed is neither here nor there.
  • Valy
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    Levi_501 wrote:

You know road bikes don't come with engines, right?
    The guy on them is faster on one than he would be on a MTB, you're slower on your MTB than you would be on a road bike. Your relative speed is neither here nor there.

Is that right?

I dono - is the piss being taken out of me? :(