Yet another freehub body to give up the ghost

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
So I want to tell you that I had the best ride home ever. That I was greeted with one of the rarest happenings in the Universe, a traffic clear Waterlook Bridge. I want to tell you that I hit 32.5mph over it. I also want to tell you that my ride to work this morning surpassed the pleasure of yesterday's return leg home.

But I won't.

All of the above is true, I did encouter the rarity of a clear Waterlook Bridge. I did hit 32.5mph and today was the most pleasurable commute to work I've had for a long time. It was. Right up until my freehub body, yet again gave up.

There I am middle of the road, by a set of traffic lights about to go green. I pedal and my leg does a full rotation with nothing at the back wheel happening accept the cassette spinning round. The 'twunt features' in their vehicles either side of me all start to speed off, none giving me any chance to get to safety. I really needed hazard lights. So I stand in the middle of the road looking at traffic (if I must be run over I want the 'twunt feature' to look me in the eye) and wait for the lights to go red and I make my way to the pavement and proceed to walk from Waterloo to Grays Inn road in my SPD-sl. Not comfortable.

This is the second freehub body to give up the ghost inside a year.

Sure I can harp on about the power of tmy thighs being too much for Fulcrum's shimano freehubs (you don't get this problem with the campag model, which they sell for cheaper), but feck that it blows big a$$ balls being sucked on by a goat.
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    I've never stripped the thread off my fixed cog.

Been close though I'm sure.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    This is the second freehub body to give up the ghost inside a year.
    Suggests to me that you should take the Fulcrums back to where you bought them and say you want a full refund as they are not fit for purpose. I've never had a freehub failure on any wheel I've ever owned. This includes Shimano Deore, Mavic Aksium and Hope Pro MTB.

Across all of those hubs I've probably done 10000+ miles and in the case of the Hope MTB hub its has survived several complete submersions in rivers and required nothing more than a bit of a regrease afterwards. I don't exactly look after any of them either as they tend to get maintained annually at best (unless I've been dunking them in water :) ).

Mike
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Wow that's an unusual one.... I keep destroying chains and when they go they start to jump on the chainrings.

Yesterday morning I approached a junction in the City, the lights were red so I was approaching slowly. Eventualy they flicked to green so I got out of the saddle and pushed hard on the pedals to accelerate away from the motor traffic. After the 1st stroke the entire drive chain jumped as the chain came off the chainring I think and then re engaged, a WVM almost rear ended me as he was hanging so close behind me.

I fell hard onto the stem of the bike with my knee making contact and making a nice gash. I didn't actually fall off the bike and cycled the rest of teh way in, in some pain. After I'd sat down at work my knee started to blow up with bruising and get very stiff. I iced it all morning which helped and it feels a bit better now.

I really need to get another new chain....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,416
    Is there that much difference between the Shimano and Campy freehubs aside from the different splines? I'd have thought that if they are two versions of the same wheel, then the ratchet system at the heart of the freehub (which is what has failed) should be the same. I might be completely wrong on this though.

Is this some anti-Shimano ploy by Fulcrum (Campy division).

One other thought. If you get stuck at Waterloo Bridge again, it's a lot closer to Evans on the Cut in an emergency. The MTB branch is nearer still, just past the railway bridge opposite the back entrance of the station.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    You see Shimano are of course terrible, particularly their freehubs, and Campag are of course fantastic, so you should have bought Campag. Only you did.

I feel just like that computer did when Jim Kirk cunningly asked it to compute pi to the last digit. Whatever next.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    WTF are you doing to your freehubs DDD? I've had 0 problems with Fulcrum in 4 years so you are one unluck mofo. Time to go Campag I think...
  • il_principe
    Wow that's an unusual one.... I keep destroying chains and when they go they start to jump on the chainrings.

Yesterday morning I approached a junction in the City, the lights were red so I was approaching slowly. Eventualy they flicked to green so I got out of the saddle and pushed hard on the pedals to accelerate away from the motor traffic. After the 1st stroke the entire drive chain jumped as the chain came off the chainring I think and then re engaged, a WVM almost rear ended me as he was hanging so close behind me.

I fell hard onto the stem of the bike with my knee making contact and making a nice gash. I didn't actually fall off the bike and cycled the rest of teh way in, in some pain. After I'd sat down at work my knee started to blow up with bruising and get very stiff. I iced it all morning which helped and it feels a bit better now.

Sure you've probably thought of this but perhaps you need a new chainring?
  • always_tyred
    STOP PRESS NEWS

Out of pocket cyclist sold flimsy over priced tat. Complains, but told must be something they did.

Read all about it.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,365
    JR Hartley couldn't have disguised that bait any better

Chapeau
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • always_tyred
    WTF are you doing to your freehubs DDD? I've had 0 problems with Fulcrum in 4 years so you are one unluck mofo. Time to go Campag I think...
    You know that bit in QI when the alarm goes off after Alan Davies answers a question?
  • il_principe
    You know that bit in QI when the alarm goes off after Alan Davies answers a question?

:oops:

Curly haired c*nt.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    hey DDD - do you clean it often? Or use and degreaser like fairy liquid to claen your bike? That stuff completely knackers freehubs.....removes all the good grease from the hub body and they seize.
  • DonDaddyD
    rjsterry wrote:
    Is there that much difference between the Shimano and Campy freehubs aside from the different splines? I'd have thought that if they are two versions of the same wheel, then the ratchet system at the heart of the freehub (which is what has failed) should be the same. I might be completely wrong on this though.

One other thought. If you get stuck at Waterloo Bridge again, it's a lot closer to Evans on the Cut in an emergency. The MTB branch is nearer still, just past the railway bridge opposite the back entrance of the station.

Went to the Road bike Evans near the New/Old Vic (I forget which). Guy said to me, they don't stock the part but the cheapest rear wheel they do was £30. However the wheel switch was not something that could be done on the shop floor, so would have to be a workshop job and they were fully booked.

Still, having once before changed the old freehub body myself, I was contemplating options right until he mentioned the £30 wheel was a hybrid one. I was outta the shop in seconds.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD
    gtvlusso wrote:
    hey DDD - do you clean it often? Or use and degreaser like fairy liquid to claen your bike? That stuff completely knackers freehubs.....removes all the good grease from the hub body and they seize.

Could be, could be. Thing is I got no indication that the freehub was on its way out. I was certain the bottom bracket was going to explode first as it's been creaking and jumping around in the shell like a hyperactive child.

Gonna find out at lunch time and report back.
    Food Chain number = 4

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,416
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Went to the Road bike Evans near the New/Old Vic (I forget which). Guy said to me, they don't stock the part but the cheapest rear wheel they do was £30. However the wheel switch was not something that could be done on the shop floor, so would have to be a workshop job and they were fully booked.

Still, having once before changed the old freehub body myself, I was contemplating options right until he mentioned the £30 wheel was a hybrid one. I was outta the shop in seconds.

Fair enough. I popped in yesterday for a new gear cable (I ride past it, so seemed obvious) and despite looking at the bike with the front cable clearly missing, they sold me a rear cable, which of course came without the little end cap widget. Did the job, but not overly impressed. The MTB place round the corner were however quite helpful when my pump disassembled itself en route and I needed a quick replacement.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • DonDaddyD
    Evans staff, complete hit or miss.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494

Sure you've probably thought of this but perhaps you need a new chainring?

Yeah I was wondering if I need to replace the cassette, chainrings and chain, but the chainring and cassette don't look too bad, so I may just go with the chain to start with
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Dude who makes fulcrums...?

Campagnolo, so which freehub on the fulcrum range is going to be better Shimano compatible or their own.....? :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • always_tyred
    itboffin wrote:

Campagnolo, so which freehub on the fulcrum range is going to be better Shimano compatible or their own.....? :roll:
    Oh for god's sake, conspiracy theory!!

STOP PRESS NEWS

Elvis found giving tours of Roslin Chapel. Read all about it.
  • Why didn't you get a cab instead of walk?
  • DonDaddyD
    Why didn't you get a cab instead of walk?

I don't like spending money to get to work, when I'm work for work purposes.

It's not the actual walking that bothered me (even though it did hurt in stiff shoes).

It's having to walk (the reason behind it that was most annoying).
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD
    Anywho, went to Fullcity in Leather lane.

For £30 they'll change over the freehub on my fulcrum (should be ready next week) and have given me a Shimano RS20 as a temporary wheel to use until they do.

Gotta say despite the RS20 not having 'that' Fulcrum noise, the bladed spokes and what looks like a decent hub make for what looks like a very decent wheel.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    itboffin wrote:

STOP PRESS NEWS

you got the painters in? you seem a bit angsty
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    itboffin wrote:

STOP PRESS NEWS

The moon landings never happened, y'know. Oh and it wasn't actually the titanic that sank, it was its sister ship the Olympic. Insurance job, y'see.

That last one is actually one of my favourite conspiracy theories...
  • DonDaddyD
    I like the moon landing one because in all honesty that flag should not be moving.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Heckler1974
    Heckler1974 Posts: 479
    The moon landings never happened, y'know. Oh and it wasn't actually the titanic that sank, it was its sister ship the Olympic. Insurance job, y'see.

That last one is actually one of my favourite conspiracy theories...

[NerdAlert]
    The propeller on the Sea-bed forming part of the the "Titanic" wreck has Titanic's operating number on it and some of the plating they've found has Titanic's serial number still visible. Nice theory though.
    I spent far too long than is healthy on Conspiracy forums many moons ago......
    [/NerdAlert]
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I like the moon landing one because in all honesty that flag should not be moving.

It doesn't have you not seen the vids, it's just hitched up so it looks like it is.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • DonDaddyD
    Well why does the Earth produce its own light from that distance. Planetary bodies don't do that.

It's not real.

Han Solo shot first.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Heckler1974
    Heckler1974 Posts: 479
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Well why does the Earth produce its own light from that distance. Planetary bodies don't do that.

It's not real.

Han Solo shot first.

Reflection of Sunlight from a planetary body (why the moon 'glows')

Not only did Han Solo shoot first, but however thought Solo stepping on Jabba's tail was a good idea should also be shot.
  • DonDaddyD
    OK perhaps the moon landing is real. But Solo should never have stepped on Jabba's tale.

Look at the size of Jabba, one slap would have taken Solo's head off. Chewie might have survived that, but Solo?
    Food Chain number = 4