ASL full of Motorcycles/High level exhausts

Comments

• Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    I'm trying to make my commute less like a battle - developing a more zen approach last couple of years - seems to work - I haven't been attacked by a motorist for 4/5 years now....staying less angry helps me pay more attention to the road and make better decisions...though now getting angry about stupid mistakes I see other cyclists making.

:evil:

It's not easy this zen thing :?
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Porgy wrote:
    I'm trying to make my commute less like a battle - developing a more zen approach last couple of years - seems to work - I haven't been attacked by a motorist for 4/5 years now....staying less angry helps me pay more attention to the road and make better decisions...though now getting angry about stupid mistakes I see other cyclists making.

:evil:

It's not easy this zen thing :?

Naaaah, embrace the battle. Get the agression out of the system before you get to work...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Naaaah, embrace the battle. Get the agression out of the system before you get to work...

Aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem

:lol:
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    kelsen wrote:

Thats easy for you to say/ type
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • kelsen wrote:

Nil illegitimi carborundum
  • Porgy
    kelsen wrote:

i agree :D
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    spen666 wrote:
    kelsen wrote:

Thats easy for you to say/ type

It wasn't actually. I had to cut and paste from Headhuunter's signature.
  • Headhuunter
    kelsen wrote:

Exactly!
  • metalmonkey
    metalmonkey Posts: 144
    ASL= Advanced Stop Lines anyone can go into them, it only becomes an offence when the light is red and vehicle enters it other than cycle as it is going through a red light.

As for bikes with high exhaust mostly a comestic thing, usless the rear sets on the bike allow the bike tip that far they will ground out before the exhuast. Why is it a problem with a bike having a high exhaust?

I have problem with cyclist who go through red lights and nearly run into me on my motorbike, then act its my fault they went through the red light, I very much doubt they would even stop let alone pay for the damage, think of that next time you run a red light.

As a cyclist the biggest issue I have is with cabs, expically black cabs, one tried to push off my mtb just under a week ago, the exchange between him and me wasn't very friendly. Also couuries both cycle and bike both arrgroant.

A bit of common sense and thoughful actions by all persons would make the roads better.
  • Headhuunter
    High level exhausts are not a problem until you find yourself stuk behind some idiot motorcyclist who has gone down the cycle lane next to jammed up traffic then got to a point at which his/her motorbike is to wide to fit behind and you as a cyclist are stuck behind the motorbike sucking up the idiot's fumes because they have blocked the cycle lane. Or when they effectively RLJ into the ASL and you end up stuck behind them at the red light, once again sucking up the fumes which blast straight up at just the ight level to hit cyclists' faces.

As far as I'm concerned, RLJing is no more dangerous than crossing a busy road as a pedestrian. Yes there are some loonies who just blast through at high speed and hope for the best, but if you crawl up to the red light looking both ways as you cross it's no different than peds crossing a pelican crossing when the red man is showing.
  • Hate to see motorcycles on the ASL and using the cycle lanes!

The ASL has a little drawing in it. Is ti a car? It's not. Is is a motorcycle? No, it's f***ing not. IT'S A BICYCLE!!!! End of story!

:x
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,416
    Hate to see motorcycles on the ASL and using the cycle lanes!

The ASL has a little drawing in it. Is ti a car? It's not. Is is a motorcycle? No, it's f***ing not. IT'S A BICYCLE!!!! End of story!

:x

Quite! It's not as if they even have to be able to read! I seem to have hit a rash of buses 'accidentally overshooting' the main stop line and blocking the ASL.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Porgy
    High level exhausts are not a problem until you find yourself stuk behind some idiot motorcyclist who has gone down the cycle lane next to jammed up traffic then got to a point at which his/her motorbike is to wide to fit behind and you as a cyclist are stuck behind the motorbike sucking up the idiot's fumes because they have blocked the cycle lane. Or when they effectively RLJ into the ASL and you end up stuck behind them at the red light, once again sucking up the fumes which blast straight up at just the ight level to hit cyclists' faces.

As far as I'm concerned, RLJing is no more dangerous than crossing a busy road as a pedestrian. Yes there are some loonies who just blast through at high speed and hope for the best, but if you crawl up to the red light looking both ways as you cross it's no different than peds crossing a pelican crossing when the red man is showing.

I don't disagree with any of that - if I see you at an ASL maybe we can kick the sh*t out of the bastards together. :evil:

calm calm calm
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    rjsterry wrote:

Quite! It's not as if they even have to be able to read! I seem to have hit a rash of buses 'accidentally overshooting' the main stop line and blocking the ASL.

I had that last wednesday on my way out of the centre just after I crossed London bridge and took a left (can't think of the road name right his second) he parked all the way into the ASL but out of the cycle lane, so I positioned myself just ahead of him so he could see me, I looked at him made eye contact, looked down to look where he was then looked back up at him and shook my head, turned round and waited for the light to go green.
  • Soul Boy
    Soul Boy Posts: 359
    Re. the OP, It is annoying, I'll admit. Had a few run in's with scooters/motorbikes in ASL's. However many of us may too be nreaking the law.....

If you arrive when the lights are red, unless there is a broken line on the left hand lane allowing you access, you are effectively running a red light to enter the ASL box!!!! Regardless of whether on a bike, motorbike…

If a cycle lane approach to an ASL is denoted with a dotted line it doesn’t exclude traffic from entering it (its only advisory), so IF a motorcycle comes up the left hand lane and there is a broken line allowing entry into the ASL, motorbikes are legally allowed in (as they haven’t crossed a stop line).

If anyone arrives from the right while the lights are red and is confronted by a solid white line, if you enter the box you have run a red light.

No wonder enforcement of these boxes is a joke!
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553

thats not even latin....

you mean

"Noli nothis permittere te terere"

and i don't mind motor cycles in the asl....but don't see too many in there so.........
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    Soul Boy wrote:
    Re. the OP, It is annoying, I'll admit. Had a few run in's with scooters/motorbikes in ASL's. However many of us may too be nreaking the law.....

If you arrive when the lights are red, unless there is a broken line on the left hand lane allowing you access, you are effectively running a red light to enter the ASL box!!!! Regardless of whether on a bike, motorbike…

If a cycle lane approach to an ASL is denoted with a dotted line it doesn’t exclude traffic from entering it (its only advisory), so IF a motorcycle comes up the left hand lane and there is a broken line allowing entry into the ASL, motorbikes are legally allowed in (as they haven’t crossed a stop line).

If anyone arrives from the right while the lights are red and is confronted by a solid white line, if you enter the box you have run a red light.

and of course...this is all nonsense....

the Advanced Stop Line (hint...the clue is in the name) means that in fact you have not run the stop line until you run the advance one if you are cyclist...
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Soul Boy
    cee wrote:
    Soul Boy wrote:

and of course...this is all nonsense....

the Advanced Stop Line (hint...the clue is in the name) means that in fact you have not run the stop line until you run the advance one if you are cyclist...

How dare you? :wink:

Straight from the City of London Police during a recent 'Sharing the Roads' chat in my office. He was trying to get across what a minefield policing them are. He said he would scrap them if he could.

Unless the Council have broken the line near the curb side, the first line is officially the stop line (letter of the law). If there is a broken line, you can enter, but then motorbikes can too, as long as they have entered via the broken line.

Have a look next time you're out. The vast majority will have a broken line on the left to allow access (legally), but if the muppet who painted it has painted a white line straight across, it is the stop line and to enter the ASL is effectively running a red and you ARE breaking the law, sorry.
  • rjsterry
    So, in short they have been brought in without properly defining them in law? Brilliant! Well that at least partly explains the seemingly random distribution of them. Those of us who ride through Balham and Tooting will be familiar with the ASL/no ASL routine at the various lights without any obvious reason. A bit like the way the CSH blue paint appears at some junctions, but not at others. ":roll:" doesn't quite do it justice.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    rjsterry wrote:
    So, in short they have been brought in without properly defining them in law? Brilliant! Well that at least partly explains the seemingly random distribution of them. Those of us who ride through Balham and Tooting will be familiar with the ASL/no ASL routine at the various lights without any obvious reason. A bit like the way the CSH blue paint appears at some junctions, but not at others. ":roll:" doesn't quite do it justice.

...but is quite expected.

All the legal nit picking is an excuse for the Met not to bother enforcing them. Cycle lanes and ASLs are bloody obviously only intended for cycles - if someone can't see and understand that, they shouldn't be on the road at all. Not for the first time, I wish the law was enforced to reflect common sense...
  • Soul Boy
    W1 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

All the legal nit picking is an excuse for the Met not to bother enforcing them. Cycle lanes and ASLs are bloody obviously only intended for cycles - if someone can't see and understand that, they shouldn't be on the road at all. Not for the first time, I wish the law was enforced to reflect common sense...

I know, I was pretty flabbergasted, but thats how a very experienced cycle cop sees it. :roll:
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Soul Boy wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

I know, I was pretty flabbergasted, but thats how a very experienced cycle cop sees it. :roll:

Was it you who also mentioned that the police won't enforce ASLs because they don't think the penalty is fair? It's been stated on here before - a complete disgrace.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Friday afternoon, Shepherd's Bush. I pull into an ASL just as the light turns red (and stop). A few seconds later a motorbike pulls into it, next to me. The other side of me, a Police motorbike pulls into it and stops. Then, on the other side of motorbike the first, a police van pulls into it and stops. The police van edges forward out of the ASL before the light changes.

I have pretty well decided to ignore ASLs. Clearly everyone else does.
  • rjsterry
    Well, seeing as they seem to have no legal basis anyway... Basically, an expensive form of road decoration. Who would like to put money on the Cycle Superhighways having no legal basis as well?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    bails87 wrote:
    kelsen wrote:
    As a cyclist, what's the point of plonking yourself in front of a car or motorbike,

To get to where you're going?

Today I was completely cut off from my turning right by a van stopped in an ASL.

It was a cyclist only route right, and motorists being motorists, it's not like I was going to be let in after.
  • londonbairn
    londonbairn Posts: 316
    Friday afternoon, Shepherd's Bush. I pull into an ASL just as the light turns red (and stop). A few seconds later a motorbike pulls into it, next to me. The other side of me, a Police motorbike pulls into it and stops. Then, on the other side of motorbike the first, a police van pulls into it and stops. The police van edges forward out of the ASL before the light changes.

The vast majority of on road cycle markings are ignored in London, I don't even notice them anymore as a result. Some situations I think it is dangerous to cycle in the "designated lane"

This being one http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 2,,0,10.32
  • holybinch
    holybinch Posts: 417
    londonbairn:

Ditto, the more I ride, the least I'm inclined to:
    -use ASL
    - jump red lights
    - filter in traffic when it's flowing
    - stay in stupid cycle lanes
    - etc
    FCN 4(?) (Commuter - Genesis Croix de Fer)
    FCN 3 (Roadie - Viner Perfecta)

-- Please sponsor me on my London to Paris ride --
    http://www.diabeteschallenge.org.uk/cha ... n_to_paris
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563

The vast majority of on road cycle markings are ignored in London, I don't even notice them anymore as a result. Some situations I think it is dangerous to cycle in the "designated lane"

This being one http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 2,,0,10.32

:lol::lol:

I like this one... note how the left turn arrow points at the cycle picture on the road in an almost prophetic manner...

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 7,,0,17.98
  • Soul Boy
    W1 wrote:
    Soul Boy wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Was it you who also mentioned that the police won't enforce ASLs because they don't think the penalty is fair? It's been stated on here before - a complete disgrace.

Headhhunter orignially, then I confirmed it, again something the City of London Police said during their interesting talk. I know, its all ar5e.
  • Soul Boy
    rjsterry wrote:
    Well, seeing as they seem to have no legal basis anyway... Basically, an expensive form of road decoration. Who would like to put money on the Cycle Superhighways having no legal basis as well?

Yup, they also showed a number of photos of roads with bikes painted on them, absolutely meaningless :roll: