How many traffic lights do you face?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    One here normally, but at the moment its 2 due to some temporary lights for a bridge repair, or perhaps that's 1.5 as going one way I can cycle through the works and not give way!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    30 over 7 miles. Fecking ridiculous. One perfect day they'll all be green, I live for that day!
  • Sailorchick
    Sailorchick Posts: 202
    7 sets of lights over a 3.5 mile commute
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    All in the last mile (of 21ish~)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I voted 10 but should have voted 11 as I forgot one!! But that doesn't include Pelicans either. Those increase the total to 17. That's over 9.5 miles from West Leeds into the city centre. Fairly quiet really so the ped crossings don't usually make much difference.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • holybinch
    holybinch Posts: 417
    I'd say about 35 in 10 miles :(
    FCN 4(?) (Commuter - Genesis Croix de Fer)
    FCN 3 (Roadie - Viner Perfecta)

-- Please sponsor me on my London to Paris ride --
    http://www.diabeteschallenge.org.uk/cha ... n_to_paris
  • risi
    risi Posts: 231
    13 I think on my 13 mile rural->city(ish) commute; that includes 5 ped crossings.

The first light doesn't come until 6 miles, the next is after about 9 miles so that's 12 in the last 4 miles. Very rare that the ped crossings are red and there are a few lights close together timed in such a way that if you get stopped at the first you won't get stopped at the subsequent ones as they go green in sequence.
    On an average day I actually have to stop for around 6 lights.
    Specialized Allez
    Trek 6500
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,413
    Will count tonight, but reckon about 15 minutes of waiting each way, Potentially ...OMG... 5 days of the year spent at f***ing traffic lights.

1/2hr per day
    2.5 hrs per week
    x 52 = 130hrs
    / 24 = 5.42days

I don't know whether to feel angry or slightly sick.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry wrote:
    Will count tonight, but reckon about 15 minutes of waiting each way, Potentially ...OMG... 5 days of the year spent at f***ing traffic lights.

1/2hr per day
    2.5 hrs per week
    x 52 = 130hrs
    / 24 = 5.42days

I don't know whether to feel angry or slightly sick.

Thank of all the scratching you could have done. :shock:
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,714
    Including light controlled ped crossings, but not zebras, I can think of 23.
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    I voted none, sorry everyone :)

well if I go on my extended commute of 21 miles which is most days now I come across 3, all in the space of 1/4 mile :( but I usually even avoid those by going different ways through the country lanes.

If I do the direct route of 4 miles (which I very rarely do) I hit 6 sets of lights, that just a joke, I really feel for you london commuters, having country lanes is lovely to cycle to work in the morning.

I even do pretend commutes on days off sometimes cos the route is that nice
  • owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    25 Wimbledon to Victoria. Scary isn't it?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I think I could cut down to three or four if I tried a different route :)

There's a thought - I wonder if I could get in without passing any lights (aside from via the canal which would be cheating).

Might have to make it 'no lights until I reach the inner ring road' though as I think Park Square is surrounded by a ring of traffic light steel!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    43+ and plenty many zebra crossings in my 11.3miles *sigh*
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • risi
    risi Posts: 231
    I just thought - I have an alternative 'commute' home, reserved for light evenings cos its a lot longer. But that brings the number down to 1, which is just to get out of work. Marvelous. If I wasn't so busy I'd leave now & do it.
    Specialized Allez
    Trek 6500
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    18 sets of lights in 3.5 miles. That's the first time I've thought about how many there are, I'm shocked :shock:
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    Now it's light in the evenings I might try out parts of the Thames cycle path - which should bring my overall total down to about 20 or so, and increase my mileage too. :D
  • Rodmc
    Rodmc Posts: 42
    I've never thought about it until now and its 8 in 5 miles :shock:

No wonder it takes me so long.
  • rjsterry
    8? 5 miles in London? Pfft! that's nothing.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    try 103.... if i hit the lights bad, i hit the lights BAD!!
  • rjsterry
    Dude, you need a new route.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• 365punter
    365punter Posts: 39
    35 in 14 miles! And I never get the right mix - either they all let me through (when I'm knackered and would love a rest) or they're all red (when I've got enough energy to keep going)!
  • LazyBoycp
    LazyBoycp Posts: 320
    I think I have 43 including ped crossings on the way in (8.3 miles, S Manc to central Manc). :shock: I reckon there are more on the way home because I take a slightly different route through the centre.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    I take a wandering route though Bushy park and circling around. to link up to crane park.

works out at about one a mile, but in fairness they mostly in one mile stretch.

makes a lot of difference on bank holidays as you tend to catch the greens etc.
  • rjsterry
    Anyone else see Redvee's post about the trial in Bristol where they switched off the TLs? Could we lobby Boris to give this a go? I seem to remember him promising to re-sequence lights when he was elected.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    rjsterry wrote:
    Dude, you need a new route.

I've tried.. There isn't anything better in central london!
  • Mickey Eye
    Mickey Eye Posts: 590
    5, 4 of which are all on the same straight street. You either ride the green wave or you don't.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Standard 13-mile non-commute : none. 0. :-)
    Occasional run to the station: 5, of which 3 are ped crossings.
    To the shops: 2, of which 1 is a ped crossing
    Misguided Idealist
  • Mike400
    Mike400 Posts: 226
    12 and I do stop at all the reds too!!!
    twitter @fat_cyclist
  • choirboy
    choirboy Posts: 132
    85 :-(