How many traffic lights do you face?

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
Okay - leading on from the SCR thread, how many sets of lights do you face each day on one leg of your commute? (as in going IN in the morning OR going home at night... not the complete total)

I'm sorry to say - I face NONE. Not one. Nada. Zip. 8)
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538

GIT.
  • Either 7 or 11, depending if I go via the prom or not. Surely a per-mile poll would be better?
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    46 I think!

ETA - and I'm not ashamed to admit I'm usually grateful for the rest.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Either 7 or 11, depending if I go via the prom or not. Surely a per-mile poll would be better?

Yeah but that involves maths... some people can't be arsed :wink:

Besides, as seen: I do 10 miles ALL country lanes and not one set of lights. I *could* cut through one route that takes me onto the A60 and a set of lights but they're lethal as I would have to turn right and if I don't need to, I'm not going to.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I think mine is 10, including pelican/toucan crossings, although it's possible I've forgotten about a pelican crossing and it's 11. My ride in is only 5.5 miles!
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    None on most routes, one on two of the other permutations.
  • Kieran_Burns
    HamishD wrote:

GIT.

I'm not feeling smug. Honest. 8)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    5 sets, on my normal 5-mile route through the city centre. I could take a 14 mile route with 0 traffic lights though.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    stop.jpg
  • Allez Mark
    Allez Mark Posts: 364
    1 set for me. It's a ped crossing. I've never been stopped by it. It's mainly used by people riding horses who need to cross the road to get from one bridlepath to the other.
  • dvdfoz
    dvdfoz Posts: 62
    If including pedestrian crossings, then 9 sets within 3/4 of a mile from right outside the office car park to leaving canary wharf ( and all on red normally)
    Dalston --> Canary Wharf, and all pubs inbetween
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    You need a 50+ option (mine's about 70, each way... :( )
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    19 in total (i think) over 20 miles on the usual route. All main roads not too bad, tuesday night I was gagging for a drink but they were all green and I was cranking to hard with the wind to risk drinkin on the fly.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Counted 35 which includes junctions & ped crossings on my 7.5 mile commute from Tooting to Victoria. :shock:
    "Come at the king, you best not miss." - Omar, The Wire

FCN 4: Willier Izoard XP
    FCN 7: GT Legato 4.0

*GAME* competitor
  • Glad you didn't ask how many I stop for.....

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • Kieran_Burns
    jamesco wrote:
    You need a 50+ option (mine's about 70, each way... :( )

I was going to, but I thought anything over 25 is just daft and it would water down the results too much.

Plus anything over 25 signifies cycling in London :wink:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    jamesco wrote:
    You need a 50+ option

I think that's covered by 25+ ;)
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I've got 3 different regular routes.. I'm going to count tonight/tomorrow as my head started to hurt running through it in my mind
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I wasn't counting ped crossings, I'll start again.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    At least 43 from the top of my head!
  • londonbairn
    londonbairn Posts: 316
    A London specific range needs to be done, starting at 50 and ending at 10000+ :lol:
  • Norky
    Norky Posts: 276
    One, by the cricket green http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 1,,0,-8.53 . I don't think it's ever been red in the time I've been commuting.

None, one or two if I take a different/longer route. I've had to stop for semi-spooked horses (now there's a daft mode of transport) more often than traffic lights.

Why, yes, thanks, I am slightly smug about my commute. ;)
    The above is a post in a forum on the Intertubes, and should be taken with the appropriate amount of seriousness.
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    about 35 I think.
  • Kieran_Burns
    To be honest I think it's actually an interesting topic - for those who commute through the countryside, the odd traffic light you DO come across can barely impact on your journey, but the city bound lot are clearly losing an awful lot of time due to them.

As said: I now face none and barely stop (in fact it's more then possible that I could do the journey never having to put my foot down once)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    To be honest I think it's actually an interesting topic - for those who commute through the countryside, the odd traffic light you DO come across can barely impact on your journey, but the city bound lot are clearly losing an awful lot of time due to them.
    As an experiment, yesterday I cycled in quite fast - keeping between 17 and 20 mph for most of the ride and it took me 70 minutes. Today I pootled in making no effort to particularly speed along - mostly in the 13/14 mph region. it took me 75 minutes. :?
  • I think I could cut down to three or four if I tried a different route :)
  • Depending on where I am based on a particular day it is either 11 in 2.5 miles, or 16 in 4.5 miles. This is in central Manchester and Salford by the way.

I never RLJ either so I probably spend 20+ minutes a week just sitting at traffic lights. :shock:
    Dahon Jack 2008 - FCN 10 - Never been scalped though...
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Too bloody many coming from near woolwich common down shooters hill through deptford then up onto evelyn road then jamaica road, over london bridge then down onto upper thames street then victoria embankment right onto northumberland ave then up charing cross road and then onto shaftesbury ave, no wonder my avg speed is quite low mmnnnngggghhhh
  • Kieran_Burns
    I beginning to conclude that the London lot are the American Footballers of the cycling world and the rest of us are the Rugby players :wink:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • tarquin_foxglove
    tarquin_foxglove Posts: 554
    edited April 2010
    3, which averages out at 1 every 3.3 miles but is actually none for 8.75 miles & 3 in 1.25 miles.