Police issuing fines for riding on pavement?

projectsome
projectsome Posts: 4,478
edited April 2010 in MTB general
Apparently police in my area (bristol) are supposed to be issuing fines for people riding on the pavement. This will be great fun to watch.

The roads are big enough to ride on, I know this because I do so myself!!!!
FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    i'll be honest i occasionally sneak up onto the pavements at times but not for very long. usually just to take a sneaky short cut around traffic lights or something :shock: , but i wouldn't do it if there were people there and definately wouldn't do it if there was police there handing out fines :lol:
  • Been going on in york for a while. Its meant to be a £50 fine but from what i have seen so far the police usually just signal you to get off your bike or give you a warning. Not actually seen or heard of a fine being given out.

Mind you i have only ever observed this at less busy times, basically me and the cyclist on the pavement. I don't know if they act more if the pavements are crowded.
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    What are these 'pavements' of which you speak?
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    welshkev wrote:
    i'll be honest i occasionally sneak up onto the pavements at times but not for very long. usually just to take a sneaky short cut around traffic lights or something :shock: , but i wouldn't do it if there were people there and definitely wouldn't do it if there was police there handing out fines :lol:

That I don't mind, it's when they come speeding down the pavement, like they own it and you've gotta jump out the way.
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    Danny MacAskill better set up a direct debit...
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • Ho hum
    Ho hum Posts: 236
    Up here I am legally allowed to cycle on the pavements :)
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    its the kids on bmx's that annoy me they go around in swarms down here and dont move for anybody and now they've started using our trails and jumps in the woods as their jump spot looks more like a landfill now

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Hercule Q wrote:
    its the kids on bmx's that annoy me they go around in swarms down here and dont move for anybody and now they've started using our trails and jumps in the woods as their jump spot looks more like a landfill now

Old man hercule:
    "Kids, riding bikes, on a bike trail, oooo it wasn't like that in my day"

:lol:

As for pavement fines, fair enough. My dad moans about cyclists breaking the 'rules' and then rides on the pavement around traffic lights while I wait like a good boy! It would be quite funny to see him get told off :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    Ho hum wrote:

Down here we have no pavements to cycle on :oops:
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Ho hum wrote:
    Eh?
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    welshkev wrote:
    i'll be honest i occasionally sneak up onto the pavements at times but not for very long. usually just to take a sneaky short cut around traffic lights or something :shock: , but i wouldn't do it if there were people there and definitely wouldn't do it if there was police there handing out fines :lol:

Cutting across traffic lights like that I think is fine, its when the fckers go straight through red lights etc and dont give a crap that gets my goat.
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    there's no room to cycle on pavements round my way - all the 4X4s and white vans are parked on them. :evil:
  • coolboarder
    coolboarder Posts: 149
    I also will cut across the pavement to miss out lights as long as theres no one around of course. The weird thing is though, i never did it when i commuted on road bikes. Only on my mountain bike.

Rob.
  • Rumor in Hull is its £50 the first time or two, and then starts to increase......
    They do mainly seem to be targeting students in the busy student areas tho.
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    When I ride street I am often on the pavement, as long as you keep the speed down and say thanks etc. no one seems to be bothered :)
  • Aldo001
    Aldo001 Posts: 251
    I ride on bits of the pavement on the way to school as it gets so damn busy on the roads sometimes. Only once has someone been p!ssed at me for riding on the pavement. I was doing a trackstand to let this woman passed, she walks up, grabs my arm, then starts spouting crap into my ear. I couldn't hear a word of it casue I had my music on so I road off without a care in the world, saying "bitch" just looud enough that she could here...
  • sparrowlegs78
    sparrowlegs78 Posts: 2,583
    I ride on the road as I have a death wish :lol:....i tell a lie, I do ride down the pavement that is next to a busy dual carriageway as I'm not that ready to die ans I can't pedal at 60mph lol
    If the police told me off I'd say they better had be waiting tomorrow with a shovel and a black binbag to scrape my body into when I get squished riding on the carriageway :(
    Caz xx
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    There should be a sliding scale of fines for riding on the pavement

£20 for riding a MTB
    £30 for riding a BMX
    £40 for riding a racer
    £200 for riding fixie whilst carrying a manbag
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    The signs have been up in the Old Market area of Bristol for about a month now and there have been numerous times I've had to move because of a cyclist on the pavement going the wrong way around the one-way system, quite surprised it took the Evening Post so long to run the story considering this is on their doorstep.

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/news/Sig ... ticle.html
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • jimih73
    jimih73 Posts: 49
    Down here in sunny Brighton they get the plastics(sorry PCSO's) to ticket people riding the wrong way down one way streets!

I do applaud this since being hit by someone careening out of a side street, damn glad there was no car behind me!!

Mind you I am still waiting for them to start ticketing the muppets who walk down the cycle lanes and get angry when you ask them to move - politely of course!!
  • mesteph
    mesteph Posts: 59
    Ho hum wrote:

Really? You sure about that? I have been known to skip traffic lights by using the pavement briefly, its so tempting that it would be rude not to do it.
  • djcombes
    djcombes Posts: 63
    Mate of mine has already been done in Worcester. Cost him £30.

I can't work out how they would catch you if you just failed to stop for them.
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    I wouldn't stop, how will they catch you????

Can't imagine WO99 would be deployed to chase you?
    Craig Rogers
  • Ho hum
    Ho hum Posts: 236
    mesteph wrote:
    Ho hum wrote:

Really? You sure about that? I have been known to skip traffic lights by using the pavement briefly, its so tempting that it would be rude not to do it.

I live in Livingston.

It may have some negatives, but the council's approach to cycling is spot on :)

It's been legal since 1987, apart from on some bridges.
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    Hercule Q wrote:

Do you use Pine Ridge? I used to go up there loads years ago, but the jumps are mahoosive these days, some of it looks like MX stuff to me...
  • scotto
    scotto Posts: 381
    they were doing that last year in reading, it's only the pcso's that do it, the street prefects.

the proper police don't bother, thing is the pcso's have no real power and so when hailed over by them I simply rode on, nothing they can do about it.

trying to ride the roads in reading is so dangerous it's unreal, so if i do ever commute I ride the pavement, safely, rather get a £30 fine and live than ride the road and get injured, like I said they have never caught up with me so far, but i ride less across town than i used to because of it..

think the figures are 300 people per year die on britains roads on bikes.
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    I used to use the pavement travelling home on the A20. It was never used by pedestrians and the heavy traffic on there together with the local boy-racers, white van man trying to get home quickly and numerous black cabs travelling back to their hard earned patios and wide screen tvs , just made the road extremely unsafe.

We'd been on at the local council for years to make that pavement a shared use cycle path but Bromley council were just a bunch of c*nts when it came to being cycle friendly.
  • scotto wrote:
    trying to ride the roads in reading is so dangerous it's unreal, so if i do ever commute I ride the pavement, safely, rather get a £30 fine and live than ride the road and get injured, like I said they have never caught up with me so far, but i ride less across town than i used to because of it..

seriously?? I've never had too much of a problem riding in reading, but get really p!ssed off with all the bikes on the pavement. I'm not talking about quite, little-used bits of pavement here, I'm talking about the main pedestrian arteries into town, which are way too busy and narrow for people to cycle down., and as for those who cycle up behind and ring their bells to tell me to get out of the way.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

as far as I'm concerned fine away...
  • RallyBiker
    RallyBiker Posts: 378
    GOOD, It's a pet hate of mine, wish they'd start in Anglesey! :evil:
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    The PCSO's were out in force in Old Market today, along with some real coppers both on foot and tyre. The sight of the cycle coppers started a small discussion in the van: Would we stop for a cyclecopper? No. Would we enter into a chase with a cyclecopper, 100% yes :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.