Running - P*sses me off

2»

Comments

• ksherratt
    ksherratt Posts: 11
    sampras38 wrote:
    MatHammond wrote:
    You sure you want to be taking painkillers to mask the pain, as you might be doing yourself some serious damage long term?

You are quite right - I wouldn't advise anyone to either overdo the painkillers (which I suspect I did) or to try and run with an injury. The pain is there for a reason, it's your body telling you "stop or you'll really screw me up".

Like I said - I won't be doing it again. I'm back on the bike and loving it...
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    edited April 2010
    pastryboy wrote:
    I'm not convinced we're built for running long distances. The fact that a lot of people get diarrhea from running proves that, as does the amount of niggling injuries almost everyone seems to get and the fact so many people need 'corrective' shoes.

I really like running, particularly long distances but like the OP I injured myself and it's very frustrating - couple of months gone and feels like back at square one.

A lot of scientists think exactly the opposite - that hunans are designed entirely to be good at running long distances.

http://www.physorg.com/news95954919.html

Basically out on the plains of Africa early man could roam far & wide to scavenge for food more quickly than your average early antelope or hyena. Also because he can sweat like an early pig and therefore keep cool, if you chase an antelope in the heat of the day the antelope will collapse from heat exhaustion pretty quickly, providing a tasty snack.
    <a>road</a>
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    I did hills last night with the running club. I say 'hills' but as this was at Streatham Common, South London, it was more like a slight incline :) . Anyway, I managed 5 of them. I hate hills. I struggle to breathe even after using my inhaler, but the sense of achievement when I'd completed the session was the best feeling.

Hopefully I'll feel the same when I eventually do a long distance, non-London ride but right now running does it for me. The importance of stretching after the cooldown becomes more noticeable the older I get too :shock: :lol:
  • CrackFox
    CrackFox Posts: 287
    Just started running and loving it - I try to stay off the tarmac and run along the hobbit trails in the woods near home or head out along the coast. Really enjoying being able to listen to my ipod, not having to worry about traffic, glass on the road or overlapping the wheel in front. I still prefer the bike when I need to bag an antelope though. I can carry a few spare arrows and flint blades in the panniers and the bell keeps the scavengers at bay.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    pastryboy wrote:
    I'm not convinced we're built for running long distances. The fact that a lot of people get diarrhea from running proves that, as does the amount of niggling injuries almost everyone seems to get and the fact so many people need 'corrective' shoes.

I really like running, particularly long distances but like the OP I injured myself and it's very frustrating - couple of months gone and feels like back at square one.

A lot of scientists think exactly the opposite - that hunans are designed entirely to be good at running long distances.

http://www.physorg.com/news95954919.html

Basically out on the plains of Africa early man could roam far & wide to scavenge for food more quickly than your average early antelope or hyena. Also because he can sweat like an early pig and therefore keep cool, if you chase an antelope in the heat of the day the antelope will collapse from heat exhaustion pretty quickly, providing a tasty snack.

Along similar lines, this makes a good read: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Born-Run-Ultra-running-Super-athlete-Tribe/dp/1861978235/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1270807234&sr=8-2
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I used to run a lot but got stress fractures, which now seem to have healed, however my hip is still dodgy from my bike crash in Nov 09, so running any distance is impossible. Running does cause more injury than cycling. I used to hang out on the Runner's World forum and there's a whole sub section on the forum for people to discuss injuries. I suppose it's the equivalent of the "workshop" on here - for people to discuss "injuries" to their bikes.

It's very hard to do a lot of marathon or ultra running without getting injured, in fact aren't marathons called marathons after some Greek soldier (in ancient times) ran 26 odd miles to deliver a message and dropped dead or something?
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    prawny wrote:
    Running should only ever be used to catch (i.e buses) or escape something (i.e bears).

I don't think you're supposed to run from bears - you're supposed to play dead.
    :o

thought I'd better let you know, just in case you were planning a holiday in a bear habitat anytime soon. :oops:
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    I'm not totally against running, and have in the past used a field on the back of my house to run for an hour so so, but generally I see so many injuries in road running that it just turns me off. The people I know that run seriously are incredibly fit, but have so many niggles and busted ankles/knees etc, it just makes me think it's a stupid sport.