Running - P*sses me off

essex-commuter
essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
Been training for the London marathon (less than 3 weeks time), done a 23 mile run Saturday no problem, 3 miles into a short run last night...bang, ruptured calf muscle.

I'm out of the marathon. Limped into work on the bike this morning.

Pissed off with running full-stop, it's an injury I've suffered 3 times before. Will take a 2 month break from it now, might give it up all together.

Just wanted to share my unhappiness :?

At least I still have the bike, it keeps me from going mad. :o

Comments

• Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Sucks dude... I've got about 3 injuries that seem to never go (right calf being one of them), so i know the feeling.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Running should only ever be used to catch (i.e buses) or escape something (i.e bears).
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Feel your pain, ran a half marathon and haven't cycled for 3 weeks now for fear of making my knee injury worse!
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    edited April 2010
    A friend of mine is an ultra runner, (multiple marathons a year, the odd 50 miler etc, and he's starting to get sick of the injuries and will most likely give up. He is also a huge cycling fan and dabbles (did the wales dragon last year) and I have a feeling will ditch the running completly and concentrate on the bike.

Personally I've never been a fan of running and just find it dull.

And his father-in-law ha spent a lifetime doing ultra running and his ankles are now well and truly fooked.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    You have my sympathy too. Also training for the marathon, haven't been able to run for three weeks due to a combo of shin splints and knackered knee. Got checked out by a physio at the weekend, turns out I have a baker's cyst behind my knee and atrophy of my left thigh muscle which is now visibly smaller and 2cm less diameter than my right one. Have started a series of exercises to hopefully remedy the imbalance, but only have 17 days to get ready to run 26 miles, whilst carrying an injury, having never run more than 15. Should be interesting. I'm determined to have a go though, because after 25 April 2010 I will never be running again, bike is better in so many ways.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,416
    I'm no runner, but that's got to be bitterly disappointing. The only running I've ever managed to stick at was cross country around Putney Heath and Wimbledon Common, particularly the wooded, hilly bits - it kept it interesting, and nice and soft underfoot.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Just crap - nothing you can say really - just crap.

My calf blew up last summer which is what initially forced me onto the bike. Hardly run since because of some other complications but mostly because I'm loving the bike so much .....

Recover well :(
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Yep, sorry to hear that. How frustrating too :(

My marathon is in October so I have plenty of time to ease into the training. Having suffered for the cause over the years I'm hoping to be injury free this summer as my road running season has now started.
  • ksherratt
    ksherratt Posts: 11
    You have my total sympathy :cry:

I trained for 6 months for my local half marathon and built up slowly and VERY carefully, however with 2 weeks to go I got a Hip bursitus (like a blister in your joint) which would stop me dead in my tracks - luckily with enough painkillers to put down an elephant I completed the event.

I know how I felt when it dawned on me that all my efforts would be for nowt. Won't be running again. I started to buy running magazines (in addition to my cycling ones) and was quite shocked by how much of the magazine was devoted to injury prevention/treatment...
  • bigmat
    ksherratt wrote:

I trained for 6 months for my local half marathon and built up slowly and VERY carefully, however with 2 weeks to go I got a Hip bursitus (like a blister in your joint) which would stop me dead in my tracks - luckily with enough painkillers to put down an elephant I completed the event.

I know how I felt when it dawned on me that all my efforts would be for nowt. Won't be running again. I started to buy running magazines (in addition to my cycling ones) and was quite shocked by how much of the magazine was devoted to injury prevention/treatment...

@ksherratt - any tips on painkillers? That is a large pasrt of my master plan to complete the marathon, did you just dose up on ibuprofen / paracetamol, or did you use anything else?
  • White Horse
    White Horse Posts: 161
    Running is wrong. If I'm in the car and I see someone running I want to stop and ask them if they need a lift anywhere as they seem to be in a hurry! :lol:
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    That sucks. You have my symapthies, too.

I think I got lucky - twice. First, I ran an Ironman-distance tri in 2005. Both knees went half-way through the run, so I didn't run for a couple of months afterwards. Then, training for the London M. in 2006, my right shin started to hurt the weekend before, so just stopped and did some blasts on the bike (non-impact). I made it through the day, but, ever since, my knee has started to hurt when I've run longer than 7k. Not run on the open road for over a year.

Sod that running lark.

On the bright side, you have the bike. :D You're clearly a man who likes a challenge. Ever heard of the Marmotte...? :wink:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • CdrJake
    CdrJake Posts: 296
    I only run because I have to, not out of enjoyment. As part of my medical each year I have to undergo a fitness test which includes running, so I simply run in order to keep my job.

In my younger days however I did a significant amount of running, a few half marathons, The London, Toronto and New York Marathon. I do not wish to repeat those days :shock:
    twitter: @JakeM1969
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    I can sympathise as I start and stop running due to similar problems.

I am currently a few days into trying forefoot running, with a view to going towards minimilist shoes based on the growing popularity of barefoot running. I can tell things are bad as I'm usually skeptical of claims made to cure such things. I'm currently reading "born to run".

PS: a lot of injuries are mileage related. There's research around to show that long distance training isn't need for marathons despite it being written in just about every magazine.
  • CdrJake
    CdrJake Posts: 296
    MatHammond wrote:
    ksherratt wrote:

@ksherratt - any tips on painkillers? That is a large pasrt of my master plan to complete the marathon, did you just dose up on ibuprofen / paracetamol, or did you use anything else?

Stay with the ibuprofen and paracetmol. Ibuprofen to reduce swelling and paracetmol for the painkilling.

Don't get caught in the trap of taking stronger painkillers, it is a difficult one to get out of as I found after a back injury playing rugby. Diazipan is not an easy drug to get off of.
    twitter: @JakeM1969
  • Big Wib
    Big Wib Posts: 363
    My sympathy as well

I'm doing the Brighton marathon on the 18th (less than 2 weeks :shock: ) and would be gutted if anything happened now. I have been nursing shins & calfs for a while now so probably haven't done as much training as I should.

Anticipated times have gone from 4.5 hours to I hope to finish. (do you take the drugs in advance or on the way round)

Never again for a marathon, it just isn't fun.
  • Cafewanda
    Big Wib wrote:

Cors it is. Why else would I do it? 8) :lol:
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Bad luck.

I don't get cyclists that run though! Cycling is far more fun and does far less damage to the body. My sister fecked her knee training for a 1/2 marathon a few years ago and it's not been right since.
  • Cafewanda
    I'm a runner who cycles. Cycling is my plan B in the event my knees and left hip go totally. Having said that I notified my GP re possible joint replacements in the future. He just laughed. :roll:
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    Thanks guys, reading the posts has really eased the pain (mentally, not physically).

I'm not new to running, this would have been my 6th marathon and I was hoping to beat my PB of 3hrs 26 mins. Can't be arsed now!

Cycling is so much better than running I agree....

Yes I own various pairs of trainers, but with marathon training they only last 10 weeks...I can never have enough bikes!

I don't trawl running websites looking for something to buy, running is very simplistic...I use to like it for this reason but b*llocks to that now...give me accessories.

At least I have rear pockets on a cycle jersey and a cage to hold a bottle of water. When I go out on long training runs I have water belts, gel belts, a watch bigger than my wrist...I look like a cross between Lara Croft and Bruce Willis in Die Hard.

I shave my legs...other runners look at me funny. Twats.

Feel even better now...keep telling myself that anyway. :twisted:
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    not good, hope you recover soon

I dont run, my fitness on the bike is very good but running just kills my knees

also if your having a bad day physically at least you can take it easy on the bike, taking it easy running is surely walking lol
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    I am not really built for running, but have *suffered* for triathlon. All I can say is that Border Collies make rubbish running partners - they are quicker than you are and they bark allot - try to herd you and generally stop you from running.
  • bigmat
    Bad luck.

I don't get cyclists that run though! Cycling is far more fun and does far less damage to the body. My sister fecked her knee training for a 1/2 marathon a few years ago and it's not been right since.

The theory was that it would be good winter base training as it is a lot easier to go for a run on a night when its dark than go to riding. Idea was that I would be in awesome shape by the end of spring rather than my usual slightly podgier self. To be fair I have lost around a stone and generally feel pretty fit, its just that I have knackered my legs. I'm fairly confident the injuries won't affect my cycling too much though, I just need to build my left quad back up to full strength!
  • Big Wib
    Big Wib Posts: 363
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Big Wib wrote:

Cors it is. Why else would I do it? 8) :lol:

insanity cannot be ruled out :lol:

on the whole I like running, or at least I did, but have decided that anything beyond a half marathon is just too much pain and takes up too much time. shorter runs can be fitted into the week in a reasonable fashion and I can do them on days when I can't commute
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    MatHammond wrote:
    ksherratt wrote:

You sure you want to be taking painkillers to mask the pain, as you might be doing yourself some serious damage long term?
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    I'm not convinced we're built for running long distances. The fact that a lot of people get diarrhea from running proves that, as does the amount of niggling injuries almost everyone seems to get and the fact so many people need 'corrective' shoes.

I really like running, particularly long distances but like the OP I injured myself and it's very frustrating - couple of months gone and feels like back at square one.
  • Lancslad
    Lancslad Posts: 307
    I run but I dont do marathons its to much training and to risky therefore I only do upto half marathons.

btw masking pain with pain killers and then running is a very bad idea, learn to listen to your body. for example I have done 64 miles on the bike in two days and I was supposed to run with my run club tonight but I realised I was to exhausted, Sure I could probably have run but what would that of done to me......

If your doing all road running for your training try mixing it up with trail running as its not as hard on the joints, also dont run the same course all the time on a road as the camber messes your form, you should run the opposite way regulary

hope this helps.
    Novice runner & novice cyclist
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • ex-pat scot
    ex-pat scot Posts: 939
    Cafewanda wrote:
    I'm a runner who cycles. Cycling is my plan B in the event my knees and left hip go totally. . :roll:
    Me too.

4th consecutive London marathon for me- although last 12 months haven't been particularly injury-free. I was logging 70 mpw pre FLM 2009, and that bagged me a nice sub-3 hr marathon and a niggling knee that still grumbles.
    The cycling doens't seem to make a difference, so I'm now a 200mpw (C) / 25 mpw (R) man...

Not sure I'll go under 3 hrs this time though. Probably 3:02 (again).
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Sympathies. I used to run a lot in my youth 7-8 miles a day road running. Then started getting injuries so gave up and concentrated on cycling. Then a few years later had the bright idea of running around the football fields which is a huge loop on grass which has helped no end as not such a hard unforgiving surface as tarmac. Also I regularly massage and stretch my legs especially lower legs and Achilles as I have had injuries in the last few years where I haven't. My calves have felt like they have "snapped" meaning an enforced rest for 3 months and no cycling either for a month. Regular massaging and stretching seems to work. But I don't run on tarmac anymore if I can help it.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    I feel your pain. Ripped the muscle in my right calf last year during a warm down run :roll: Managed to see the doctor on the same day as the injury and within an hour was having physio. Hadn't realised until then how much more the physio can do the sooner he gets to work on the injury. I had six sessions with him, including ultrasound and massage. Think that I was really lucky, as made a full recovery very quickly (largely thanks to seeing the physio so soon ). A month later ran the Abingdon marathon then the Original Mountain Marathon the following weekend. Had a some time off running after that :)