OT: Silly things we keep.

CdrJake
CdrJake Posts: 296
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
On the admission of the fact I still have my cycling proficency badge some 31 years later, I feel this is the time to confess that I still have all my swimming and lifesaving badges, along with all the rank slides I have ever held from starting from my days in the CCF to the present. They are of course totally worthless and my life wouldn't be any the lesser without them, but for some reason I can't part with them even though they take up room in my school trunk (yes I still have that one as well)
twitter: @JakeM1969

Comments

• spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Silly things we keep?

Well every year I keep thinking Newcastle United will win something. No idea why I keep such a stupid thought, its totally redundant
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    I annoying keep all the bits of bobs of spare bike bits that I really will, never ever use. But its nice to know they are there... just in case
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • CdrJake
    spen666 wrote:
    Silly things we keep?

Well every year I keep thinking Newcastle United will win something. No idea why I keep such a stupid thought, its totally redundant

I have been informed from a reliable source that Newcastle United have won the Championship this year, so isn't that something. This information was followed by the phrase 'Geordie gits'

Football means nothing to me.
  • spen666
    CdrJake wrote:
    spen666 wrote:
    Silly things we keep?

I have been informed from a reliable source that Newcastle United have won the Championship this year, so isn't that something. This information was followed by the phrase 'Geordie gits'

That's a bit like winning the lantern rouge in the Tour

Twittering @spen_666
  • FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    I bought a pair of leather trousers when I passed my A-Levels, nearly 20 years ago.

My waist size got down to 30" again towards the end of last year, thanks to my cycling and I rescued them from where they had been stored for the past 15 years or so, only to find my thighs were now too big to fit in them :(

They are now back in the drawer for when I become an old bloke and my thighs start to wither away - I reckon I could rock that look as a pensioner in another 30 years 8)
    us0.png
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    spen666 wrote:
    Silly things we keep?

They might win the championship this year.
  • spen666
    FeynmanC wrote:
    I bought a pair of leather trousers when I passed my A-Levels, nearly 20 years ago.

My waist size got down to 30" again towards the end of last year, thanks to my cycling and I rescued them from where they had been stored for the past 15 years or so, only to find my thighs were now too big to fit in them :(

They are now back in the drawer for when I become an old bloke and my thighs start to wither away - I reckon I could rock that look as a pensioner in another 30 years 8)

You deserve a visit from the fashion police

Twittering @spen_666
  • CdrJake
    spen666 wrote:
    CdrJake wrote:
    spen666 wrote:
    Silly things we keep?

Ahhh now this has been followed by the comment of 'trophy virgins'

as I say football means nothng to me, the boys who played Association Football at school were seen as the plebs. :roll:
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    CdrJake wrote:
    spen666 wrote:
    Silly things we keep?

Your 'reliable' source should be informed that Newcastle have won promotion, but West Brom could in theory still win the Championship.
  • FeynmanC
    spen666 wrote:

You deserve a visit from the fashion police

Strangely, you're not the first person to have said that to me.

Admitedly they didn't really work with the converse trainers (one in pink, the other green).
    us0.png
  • CdrJake
    _Brun_ wrote:
    CdrJake wrote:
    spen666 wrote:
    Silly things we keep?

Your 'reliable' source should be informed that Newcastle have won promotion, but West Brom could in theory still win the Championship.

With a Middlesbrough fan giving Newcastle that kind of praise, I feel he ought to take it while he can :lol:
  • spen666
    CdrJake wrote:
    spen666 wrote:
    CdrJake wrote:
    spen666 wrote:
    Silly things we keep?

as I say football means nothng to me, the boys who played Association Football at school were seen as the plebs. :roll:

Trophy Virgins? Erm 5 FA Cups, Several League titles, the Fairs Cup etc- hardly virgins- just not as promiscuous with the trophies as in their younger days

Twittering @spen_666
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Arghh not football on a cycling site :-(
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    CdrJake wrote:
    On the admission of the fact I still have my cycling proficency badge some 31 years later, I feel this is the time to confess that I still have all my swimming and lifesaving badges, along with all the rank slides I have ever held from starting from my days in the CCF to the present. They are of course totally worthless and my life wouldn't be any the lesser without them, but for some reason I can't part with them even though they take up room in my school trunk (yes I still have that one as well)

I still have my Cycling Proficiency badge (a small, triangular, metal badge like this).

I still have my Tufty Club badge, and my cubs badges (seconder & sixer stripes, Silver Jubilee badge, all my achievement badges etc.); in fact, the cubs badges and my Cycling Proficiency badge are wrapped up in my cubs cap. Of course, I haven't worn it for about 32 years... I also have my old Young Ornithologists Club badge (like this).

Not as old, but still a cool badge is my Ultima Online badge.

Of course, I also still have (and use) my uncle's old Holdsworth Cycles musette. That must be 35 or more years old.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • FeynmanC
    Anyone got a Blue Peter badge?
    us0.png
  • spen666 wrote:
    CdrJake wrote:
    spen666 wrote:
    CdrJake wrote:
    spen666 wrote:
    Silly things we keep?

Trophy Virgins? Erm 5 FA Cups, Several League titles, the Fairs Cup etc- hardly virgins- just not as promiscuous with the trophies as in their younger days

Don't forget your 1/8th of the intertoto cup you won a few year back.

I think I still have my cycle proficiency stuff knocking about somewhere. Found a frosties reflector I used to have on one of my first bikes as a kid the other day.
  • Agent57
    FeynmanC wrote:
    Anyone got a Blue Peter badge?

Or a Blankety Blank cheque book and pen, a Bully or Dusty Bin! :D
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Allez Mark
    Allez Mark Posts: 364
    spen666 wrote:
    Silly things we keep?

So Spen. You support Newcastle? Your'e not from The Spen are you?

Silly things I keep: Well I've got loads of used batteries, foriegn currency, and instructions for a video recorder in the man draw at home.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I can't bare to throw away the bits of carbon I saw off bars and seatposts.
  • CdrJake
    Agent57 wrote:
    CdrJake wrote:

I still have my Cycling Proficiency badge (a small, triangular, metal badge like this).

I still have my Tufty Club badge, and my cubs badges (seconder & sixer stripes, Silver Jubilee badge, all my achievement badges etc.); in fact, the cubs badges and my Cycling Proficiency badge are wrapped up in my cubs cap. Of course, I haven't worn it for about 32 years... I also have my old Young Ornithologists Club badge (like this).

Not as old, but still a cool badge is my Ultima Online badge.

Of course, I also still have (and use) my uncle's old Holdsworth Cycles musette. That must be 35 or more years old.

My mother still has my Cub and Scout badges, it seems I gained quite a few and yet I remember so little about it mostly because I was being packed off to boarding school most of the time and those clubs were part of school activities. I do remmeber my mother sending me a cake when I was awarded a badge for science, but that is about it.
  • FeynmanC
    supersonic wrote:

You are aware that is a little bit odd, right?
    us0.png
  • CdrJake
    FeynmanC wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

You are aware that is a little bit odd, right?

I know engineers in my job who keep odd things like that on the basis of 'it might come in useful'
  • FeynmanC
    And are those engineers "a little bit odd" too? :wink:
    us0.png
  • CdrJake
    FeynmanC wrote:
    And are those engineers "a little bit odd" too? :wink:

As a whole, yes. But then when it comes to my job I'm not exactly normal. I currently have two outboard engines in bits on my front lawn :shock:
  • holybinch
    holybinch Posts: 417
    Computer related stuff, mainly cables.
    I probably still have some from the early 90s :S
    Some French francs as well, and some Irish pounds.
    FCN 4(?) (Commuter - Genesis Croix de Fer)
    FCN 3 (Roadie - Viner Perfecta)

-- Please sponsor me on my London to Paris ride --
    http://www.diabeteschallenge.org.uk/cha ... n_to_paris
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    spen666 wrote:
    Silly things we keep?

Championship title... cling on to that...

massive club me arse ;)
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Agent57
    spen666 wrote:
    Well every year I keep thinking Newcastle United will win something.

I do the same thing with Liverpool FC.
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    spen666 wrote:
    CdrJake wrote:
    spen666 wrote:
    Silly things we keep?

IMy mate Cav says it's more like winning those races Andre Greipel wins
  • gert_lush
    gert_lush Posts: 634
    I now have 4 worn out tyres of various sizes, and a few "spare" worn out cassettes for emergencies, quite what type of emergency requires a knackered tyre and cassette I am yet to find out but I am confident it will be useful when the time comes!

Other things I seem to hoard is running shoes, you see the problem is that if you swap them every 300-500 miles as recommended they actually look fine still but have lost their spring, so have quite a few sets of running shoes I can't run in but do not want to get rid of as they don't look worn out!

Still have lots of coursework and books from Uni 10 years ago in the vague hope I may actually read them again one day..... fat chance!
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes