Too many commuters?

13»

Comments

• mapryan
    mapryan Posts: 39
    Agent57 wrote:
    When was the last time any of us used the correct "I am slowing down or stopping" signal while out on our bikes? I'm just interested, not trying to make a point. I was taught it more than 30 years ago when I did my cycling proficiency, but I don't think I have ever used it on the roads.

I do signal turns, however (and unlike many, mine are normally large signals, rather than a vague arm down by my hips).

I always make proper arms-up signal turns, but it's not something I see most cyclists doing. I gave up on the slowing down one, because I don't think most drivers know what it means.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    mapryan wrote:
    I gave up on the slowing down one, because I don't think most drivers know what it means.

Well that is a possible problem. It is in the Highway Code though; a book all drivers are supposed to be familiar with. And not just as a signal for cyclists.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,450
    The Cycling Proficiency test is still alive and kicking around this part of the world although under the name of "Safe Cycling", my daughter did it last year.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    They stopped it at my middle school the year I was about to take it :-(
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    mapryan wrote:
    My commute to the City of London has got much busier this week. I don't know whether it was people had decided that after Easter they were going to get their bikes out or just because the weather has got a bit nicer, but the number of cycles (and motorcycles) has mushroomed.
    It does seem to take a while for those sealed into tin boxes to realise it's spring, so maybe we've seen nothing yet.
    I agree with the general comments about it being good to have more cyclists on the road. However, this morning I saw a large gentleman on a very newish looking bike take a very prominent and slow position around the Elephant and Castle
    I always assume a prominent position on roundabouts, and always stay well away from the kerb, too. If you want to be seen by motorists, put yourself where they look. Don't be a gutterbunny. Say to yourself, "A critical Mass is one bike. That's all it takes."

Follow the advice in "Cyclecraft"

Because I'm 68, I'm slow too
    Cars and bikes were going round him in all directions and he was creating complete mayhem. Luckily for him, he was completely oblivious to it, as he had his headphones in.
    I live right at the northern edge of London. That's not that far away from the oldest roundabout in Britain, in Letchworth Garden City. Cars there really did use to go in all directions. It took decades to convince people to only go clockwise. There is a rhythm to how traffic works. Learn to read, and work with it.
    I also saw a fellow cyclist this morning riding along in Ugg Boots. How hot must her feet have been? How on earth were her feet staying on the pedals?
    Pedals come in diferent shapes and sizes. Off road bikes have a tradition of the rider wearing big boots, so you can get pedals to match.

Jeremy Parker

heh PENSIOWND
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Soul Boy
    Soul Boy Posts: 359
    Agent57 wrote:
    When was the last time any of us used the correct "I am slowing down or stopping" signal while out on our bikes? I'm just interested, not trying to make a point. I was taught it more than 30 years ago when I did my cycling proficiency, but I don't think I have ever used it on the roads.

I do signal turns, however (and unlike many, mine are normally large signals, rather than a vague arm down by my hips).

I quite often use it. Even if drivers don't understand it, they should be aware you're about to do something. Other cyclists should understand.

Filtering in the middle of traffic through Brixton a few weeks back. The guy in front just stopped. He was nowhere near a junction and nothing impeding his progress. I nearly ran into the back of him. Turns out he had spotted a cycle rack across the other side of the road and wanted to use it. I pointed out a signal would have been handy, he told me to F*** off, charming. Ho, hum, next time it may be a motorbike behind him.

Often use my arm to signal a turn, but in advance of the junction (don't want to be going round corners with one hand on the bars). Does peeve me a little when sat waiting to come out of a junction, a cyclist approaching on the main road only for them to turn in in front of me. Does it cost that much to be aware of other road users and let them know your intentions? It's just manners.
  • With such differences of opinion evident in this thread alone amongst cyclists themselves who are after all in the transport minority in this country explain perhaps all to clearly why this country is generally so cyclist unfriendly. Nowehere else in Europe does there appear to be such bigoted views of pro and anti bike racing within the cycling community itself. A lot of people have disposable income and buy expensive bikes to race on dressed in garsih lycra with <gasp> shaved legs..., get over it. A lot of people buy a sturdy commuter and ride very slowly in ridiculously flourescant jackets for more altruistic reasons, get over it. It's been said before, cretins are scattered randomly throughout society, cycling is no different. Tarring a whole group with the same brush because of one such idiot contributes nothing to the enhancement or development of a civilised society.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    .... cretins are scattered randomly throughout society, cycling is no different. .....

+ many. Well said that man!
    Let's hear it for the new cyclists. Let's encourage them and remember that we were all new once.
    Misguided Idealist
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    very rare I see bikes has to be said. though have seen the odd clean bike...

but with a non 9-5 job on a wiggly route though london's suburbs no SCR or problems with hybrid hi vis lot.
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    mapryan wrote:

I also saw a fellow cyclist this morning riding along in Ugg Boots. How hot must her feet have been? How on earth were her feet staying on the pedals?

I saw a girl in a lovely pair of high heel platform type lady shoe things, patent black leather, riding towards the Rotherhithe Tunnel roundabout yesterday. Not sure if they were SPD's.
  • cedargreen
    cedargreen Posts: 189
    It's dispiriting to hear so many anti-cyclist rants on here.

A cyclist stopped in front of you without indicating? As cars/ vans /taxis etc do this all the time, you should be prepared for this and ride accordingly.

Young women are riding in Ugg boots? What do you suggest as suitable punishment for this heinous crime?

What we are seeing in London is a huge rise in cycling, with lots of inexperienced cyclists. It will take time for many of them to adopt behaviours more conducive to mass cycling. This will take longer to develop in the UK as cycling is increasing from a very low level- so there isn't a very clearly established cycling culture such as you might find in some European cities, to act as a model for new riders to adopt.

And it's entirely possible that a concensus of what 'good riding' is might never develop in London. It doesn't seem to have happened with motorists- the standard of driving in London is abysmal- the only predictable thing about driver behaviour is its unpredictability.

More cyclists can only be a good thing, and if some them ride erratically, they're only doing what most of the traffic does.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    cedargreen wrote:
    Young women are riding in Ugg boots? What do you suggest as suitable punishment for this heinous crime?

Pah. Hanging's too good for 'em. Everyone loves a slender ankle.

(is that right wing enough? :) )
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • holybinch
    holybinch Posts: 417
    Lead be example I'd say.
    If they see many cyclists not RLJ, not filtering on left of HGV, etc, a few of them *might* think there's a reason and adopt the same behaviour...
    FCN 4(?) (Commuter - Genesis Croix de Fer)
    FCN 3 (Roadie - Viner Perfecta)

-- Please sponsor me on my London to Paris ride --
    http://www.diabeteschallenge.org.uk/cha ... n_to_paris
  • Soul Boy
    Soul Boy Posts: 359
    cedargreen wrote:
    A cyclist stopped in front of you without indicating? As cars/ vans /taxis etc do this all the time, you should be prepared for this and ride accordingly.

I think it is clear that I didn't hit him, or I would have written that I ran into the back of another cyclist. I did anticipate and rode accordingly, doesn't mean a signal wouldn't have been useful for the iinformation of other road users :roll:
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Ugg boots aren't even supposed to be worn outside, let alone cycled in. They're glorified slippers, FFS! :D
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    As a former London commuter (my commute now takes me into leafy Surrey) I've found this thread quite interesting. It brings back many memories.

No doubt numbers are up due to the weather. All winter I've been the only person cycling to my office, but today there are 10 bikes in the company bike shed. A huge increase in numbers!

Come the summer, when the new London bike hire scheme kicks in, I can only imagine how flooded the roads could be with cyclists. It could have huge implications.
  • andyxm
    andyxm Posts: 132
    The more the better as far as I am concerned, sure it would be nice if they were all as good at riding as me, and wore nice clothes like me and rode a similar bike to me, but you can't have everything.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I helped a weekend warrior (that or he was completely in new kit) find london bridge this morning, very nice and he was very gracious even when I had to show a dolan track bike who was boss.. I might have pushed him a little hard hehe

and I gave a numpty a piece of my mind after he rlj'd and wound his way through traffic going straight across the jct north off tower bridge (that junction is very busy and stacked full of cars impatient to get where they want to go).. idiot

so many different people you just can't generalise
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    yes, bright sun today and all manner of people out. My normal 2 or 3 went well into double figures.
  • Definitely the more cyclists the better. It certainly gives us more of a voice.
    My commute:
    commute.jpg
  • With such differences of opinion evident in this thread alone amongst cyclists themselves who are after all in the transport minority in this country explain perhaps all to clearly why this country is generally so cyclist unfriendly. Nowehere else in Europe does there appear to be such bigoted views of pro and anti bike racing within the cycling community itself. A lot of people have disposable income and buy expensive bikes to race on dressed in garsih lycra with <gasp> shaved legs..., get over it. A lot of people buy a sturdy commuter and ride very slowly in ridiculously flourescant jackets for more altruistic reasons, get over it. It's been said before, cretins are scattered randomly throughout society, cycling is no different. Tarring a whole group with the same brush because of one such idiot contributes nothing to the enhancement or development of a civilised society.

+1

More cyclists = Good. Period.

Usual thread that comes out every year :roll: Most the people on this thread started off recently and learned a lot from (some) of what is posted here. Lets not go acting like a little closed shop of "if you don't behave in this way you're not a true cyclist'. Ever seen photos of cycling in Copenhagen?

Been working in central London all this week and its been great to see all the cyclists on the road, looking forward to even more when the cycle hire starts. 8)
  • londonbairn
    londonbairn Posts: 316
    My topic title is misleading. It's great to see more people on the road, we all started off there once.

However, I personally value my safety in situations where people cycle rashly, and it's quite obvious this is driven by more people commuting. If you were in a situation where someone just swings out in front of you without bothering looking or even indicating or perhaps nearly getting ran over by jumping red lights with no care, it would most likely bother you.

it's very easy to say "oh expect their actions and evade" but you cannot 100% guarantee your own safety by trying to prempt others.

I was very nearly in what could have been a major accident for me recently when someone on a £49 style special bike, no safety equipment, didnt bother looking etc covered completely in rust decided to pull out from a junction in front of me when I am travelling fast. I broke like mad, skidded and very nearly hit traffic. I had no space to "evade", I was lucky I managed to control my braking. The person didn't even care that she nearly caused an accident.

I have every right, as do any user of the road, to be concerned about my/others safety.
  • mapryan
    mapryan Posts: 39
    I have every right, as do any user of the road, to be concerned about my/others safety.

Agreed. This is an example of the kind of cycling I'm referring to. This was just before London Bridge this morning. Keep an eye on the cyclist on the left hand side weaving through pedestrians on the pavement who then pulls out in front of me without even looking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJYiYLgCWVA
  • londonbairn
    londonbairn Posts: 316
    mapryan wrote:

Agreed. This is an example of the kind of cycling I'm referring to. This was just before London Bridge this morning. Keep an eye on the cyclist on the left hand side weaving through pedestrians on the pavement who then pulls out in front of me without even looking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJYiYLgCWVA

Yup, I have seen plenty like that, that looks like a very near miss. What a berk. I would be fuming, and rightlfully so.

Goes back to what has been discussed before on the HGV issue etc - cyclsts' awareness training.
  • Sailorchick
    Sailorchick Posts: 202
    My husbands just started commuting this week. I gave him my copy of Cyclecraft before his bike arrived and he was good and read it.

He's had the last year listening to my tales of cycling fun/scares so he has a fair idea what to expect. Looking forward to seeing how he gets on - our routes are totally different directions so his is a lot more rural than mine.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    I think, once he's mastered his route, he should try yours just once for a 'rounded' experience :twisted: :wink: