The sea of hi-viz. Everyone is wearing so you don't have to

Comments

• Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Red is not a good colour, btw, hence why red and (I think) blue cars are more likely to be involved in accidents. Most accidents happen on country roads. QED.

Causality and correlation are dangerous bed fellows.

Cities with lots of crime have lots of police, ergo police cause crime.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Greg T wrote:
    ,,,, police cause crime.

I concurr
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Fair enough.

Red is not a good colour, btw, hence why red and (I think) blue cars are more likely to be involved in accidents. Most accidents happen on country roads. QED.

I call bullshit on that one.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC300804/

Silver cars are the "safest", white cars are the least safe. Red cars are somewhat mid-table.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Hi Viz has basically become a form of urban camouflage.
    Did you ever see that road safety ad with the guys playing basketball?

Did you spot the chap wearing a gorilla costume, or not?

I remember a similar thing with a dancing bear and some people playing catch. And no, the first time round I didn't notice the bear as I was too busy counting the passes. :(
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Greg T wrote:

Fortunately, this isn't medical research, merely accident statistics. You can draw whatever conclusions you wish - for example, most Ferraris are red, Ferraris are generally driven quickly, blah. However the simplest explanation is that these colours are least noticable.

Occam's Safety Razor.
  • always_tyred
    Fair enough.

I call bullshit on that one.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC300804/

Silver cars are the "safest", white cars are the least safe. Red cars are somewhat mid-table.
    I think you misread that. Seems to suggest that its much of a muchness, other than silver. Ho hum. Not too many fluorescent cars though, one has to say.

Brown and green are discounted due to the large pigment ranges these represent, although the figures indicate that these are about the worst.

But brown.... British Leyland are the only company I can remember actually selling a brown car......therefore, brown cars are much much more likely to suffer some sort of mechanical failure or simply fall apart at an inopportune moment due to excessive rust.

You see, there is an explanation for everything.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,417
    Greg T wrote:

Fortunately, this isn't medical research, merely accident statistics. You can draw whatever conclusions you wish - for example, most Ferraris are red, Ferraris are generally driven quickly, blah. However the simplest explanation is that these colours are least noticable.

Occam's Safety Razor.

Or, more likely, that red and blue cars are more common than other colours, maybe?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • I think you misread that. Seems to suggest that its much of a muchness, other than silver. Ho hum. Not too many fluorescent cars though, one has to say.

Brown and green are discounted due to the large pigment ranges these represent, although the figures indicate that these are about the worst.

But brown.... British Leyland are the only company I can remember actually selling a brown car......therefore, brown cars are much much more likely to suffer some sort of mechanical failure or simply fall apart at an inopportune moment due to excessive rust.

'Cept when you take into account the population control values, yellow cars seem to come out worst. Are they as close to hi-viz as you can get?
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I think you misread that. Seems to suggest that its much of a muchness, other than silver. Ho hum. Not too many fluorescent cars though, one has to say.

'Cept when you take into account the population control values, yellow cars seem to come out worst. Are they as close to hi-viz as you can get?

They're mistaken for cyclists, so other drivers leave less room and end up smashing into them.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Is that because anyone who'd choose to buy a yellow car must be blind as a bat to start with. :wink:

Then there's the 'moods' of colours. Is red an 'aggressive' colour? If so, do aggressive drivers prefer red cars, and do aggressive drivers have more crashes?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    Not enormous amounts of hi Vizzed cyclists round my way but plenty of other people not on bikes wearing it.

I've been saying for a while its better (and even less cool) to be marked out as a cyclist to be wearing a Sam Browne belt than a Hi Viz top

still all the reflectiveness after dark but far less chance of being a dog walker or workman on the pavement.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I think the biggest risk is that motorists will be expecting Hi-Viz and a non-Hi-Vizer is actually therefore marginally more at risk as a result of so many others wearing Hi-Viz. The logic is similar to that of Sat Navs where people get used to the Sat Nav announcing forthcoming junctions - people start relying (subconciously) on the Sat Nav to tell them when a junction is coming.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • meanredspider
    bails87 wrote:
    Is that because anyone who'd choose to buy a yellow car must be blind as a bat to start with. :wink:

Then there's the 'moods' of colours. Is red an 'aggressive' colour? If so, do aggressive drivers prefer red cars, and do aggressive drivers have more crashes?

A bit OT but grey/dark/silver car drivers are definitely more reluctant to turn on their lights during the day (in heavy rain, snow or fog).
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    bails87 wrote:

A bit OT but grey/dark/silver car drivers are definitely more reluctant to turn on their lights during the day (in heavy rain, snow or fog).

Actually, or anecdotally?

I probably agree, although maybe it's more noticable when they do (or should that be when they don't), because they 'appear' out of the fog much closer than a red car would, for example.

I'll never understand why someone in a fog coloured range rover, driving at 60 mph, in fog, at dusk, can't grasp why I'm flashing my lights at them. :roll:

I drive a black car, and always err on the side of caution, even when it's light, if it's raining I'll at least have my side lights on.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • meanredspider
    bails87 wrote:

Actually, or anecdotally?

Just my observation (a couple of miles of my commute is on a path heading towards oncoming dual carriageway - lots of cars to observe.

bails87 wrote:
    I drive a black car, and always err on the side of caution, even when it's light, if it's raining I'll at least have my side lights on.

Ah - you're probably another one of my observations. I never understood why anybody drives with "side" (or "parking" as they're also known) lights on. I don't think you'll find anywhere in the Highway Code it says it's OK to have just your sides on. In most daytime low visibility situations, you'll see the car (coming towards you) before you see the side lights - the exception being the latest LEDs. Why not stick the heads on?
  • always_tyred

I was reading the normalised normalised figures in the final column.

Honestly, I haven't a clue. Seems to me that you've only got 600 accidents across 9 colour classifications and that the data and the confidence limits are all over the place.

I can only dimly recollect a news story a couple of years ago about this based on UK statistics which was probably also hopeless, like my memory.
  • holybinch
    holybinch Posts: 417
    it's well known anyway, 95% of all stats are wrong.
    FCN 4(?) (Commuter - Genesis Croix de Fer)
    FCN 3 (Roadie - Viner Perfecta)

-- Please sponsor me on my London to Paris ride --
    http://www.diabeteschallenge.org.uk/cha ... n_to_paris
  • Soul Boy
    Soul Boy Posts: 359
    I think the biggest risk is that motorists will be expecting Hi-Viz and a non-Hi-Vizer is actually therefore marginally more at risk as a result of so many others wearing Hi-Viz. The logic is similar to that of Sat Navs where people get used to the Sat Nav announcing forthcoming junctions - people start relying (subconciously) on the Sat Nav to tell them when a junction is coming.

Selfish sods. So it's the hi-vizzers that are putting my life at risk! :evil:
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660

,snip. On a bright day I'm inclined to think that bright red is better than yellow - especially when riding in the countryside where red (or garish team kit as is some people's wont) stands out over yellow and yellow can often blend into roadside foliage....

missed this before

my father in law and eldest son are colour blind. red and green to them look a uniformly purply brown colour.

to my FiL you're completely invisible your red top against the roadside foliage.
  • meanredspider
    Soul Boy wrote:

Selfish sods. So it's the hi-vizzers that are putting my life at risk! :evil:

Yup! :wink: To paraphrase the old joke, you don't need to outrun the grizzly, you just need to outrun the other guy!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,365
    Greg T wrote:
    The Hi Viz debate is sooo Autumn Winter....

I say Spring Summer 2010 will be all about the Ipod

I disagree - I think cyclists should pay road tax.

And pass tests and be registered and stuff.

Numberplates

Make the louts wear numberplates, they'll be easier to track down
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    Ah - you're probably another one of my observations. I never understood why anybody drives with "side" (or "parking" as they're also known) lights on. I don't think you'll find anywhere in the Highway Code it says it's OK to have just your sides on. In most daytime low visibility situations, you'll see the car (coming towards you) before you see the side lights - the exception being the latest LEDs. Why not stick the heads on?

The main point of them is to turn on the rear lights to just help make your car that little bit more noticable (note: this is different to visible) in lower light levels to cars behind you.
    Having low-powered lights up front doing the same thing is just sensible, without the need to turn on the headlights, which can be annoying when it's not really dark enough for them. I use the side-lights a lot on the car, especially in rainy conditions where they are much better than using headlights.
  • meanredspider
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    I use the side-lights a lot on the car, especially in rainy conditions where they are much better than using headlights.

I entirely disagree. Two points:

The car behind you is going in the same direction as you and, probably, at broadly the same speed. Why do you want to be more "noticeable" to them than the car coming the other way (closing at probably twice your speed) or the cyclist looking to cross the road?

Secondly, I drive down the A9 quite a bit. It must be close to being the longest mainly single carriageway roads (just from Inverness to Perth it's 115 miles). Because folk don't use their headlights when they should (even the matrix display signs tell you to), situations where I should be confident to overtake, I daren't at the risk of some poorly lit car emerging from the gloom. I'm sure others, less patient, take the chance. There's certainly plenty of head-ons on the A9 each year.

I've never once been irritated or inconvenienced by someone using their (properly adjusted) headlights. In fact, I believe in both Holland and Sweden it's mandatory to use headlights. I can't for the life of me see why you wouldn't. Front side-lights, at 5W, are virtually useless.
  • meanredspider
    To quote the Highway Code

[Law RVLR reg 27]

Driving in adverse weather conditions (226-237)115
    You should also

•use dipped headlights, or dim-dip if fitted, at night in built-up areas and in dull daytime weather, to ensure that you can be seen
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    I never understood why anybody drives with "side" (or "parking" as they're also known) lights on. I don't think you'll find anywhere in the Highway Code it says it's OK to have just your sides on. In most daytime low visibility situations, you'll see the car (coming towards you) before you see the side lights - the exception being the latest LEDs. Why not stick the heads on?
    I'm pretty sure the Highway Code says you only have to use headlights if the road is unlit.
  • meanredspider
    _Brun_ wrote:
    I'm pretty sure the Highway Code says you only have to use headlights if the road is unlit.

Correct but ONLY at night. It says you MUST use headlights in poor visibility situations.

As quoted above - it says you SHOULD use headlights at night in built-up areas and in dim daytime conditions - ie you aren't breaking the law in not doing so.
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    there's a whole piece on daylight running lamps on Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daytime_running_lamp

The army uses sidelights on vehicles during the day because a vehicle painted in matt camo is going to be harder to see than a white van. Doesn't take a genuis to work that one out.

Again it's often about people seeing you in mirrors or when they're edging out from the side rather than somehow running you over from behind.
  • rhann
    rhann Posts: 383
    sea of yellow what stands out... Dark Clothes!!
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Saw a motorcyclist with some hi viz on the other day, on the back it said "I'm wearing this to cover somebody else's arse" which about sums up my opinion of the stuff.
  • If you don't fancy it because everyone else is wearing it try some liquigas or other highly vis pro tour jerseys - it'll be different so less chance of being ignored but its kind of hard to ignore a cyclist in screaming lime green :D

Nothing wrong with hi-vis for a short commute though - definitely better then all black. Even if its only to ensure that a motorist that kills you/puts you in hospital gets a thumping from the courts. After all "I didn't see the cyclist wearing high vis" doesn't really sound right.

That's why I wear liquigas anyway, to spite anyone that does hurt me. I'd like to see them locked up ;)
    The British Empire never died, it just moved to the Velodrome