Look and step out instead of stop, look and then step out?

2»

Comments

• Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I had loads on my training run into work and back, just not looking, world of their own plus a bus driver thinking he was a cyclist and using the ASL on jamaica road I think
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    You're lucky you even get a look.

Most times I find they just randomly jump into the road, without even a casual glance over their shoulder.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    As mentioned previously in this thread, people cross the road with their ears and not their eyes. Yes, we are supposed to give way to them when they are on the highway but when they do such manoeuvres when you're so close etc what chance do we have?
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    redvee wrote:
    As mentioned previously in this thread, people cross the road with their ears and not their eyes. Yes, we are supposed to give way to them when they are on the highway but when they do such manoeuvres when you're so close etc what chance do we have?

To a degree you have to give way imo.Legally I think it only applies to when you're turning into a road and encounter a pedestrian mid-cross (eg already off the curb). However I think its prudent to help allow pedestrians to cross safely where possible. if they just step off last second, then you've done your bit and now have to take evasion to counter it.

We spend a fortune in the country on stupid quangos telling us this that and the other. :lol: Why cant we designate some of those energies to reinstating the GCC and the Tufty?
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I've lost count of the number times peds look and step out into the road in one movement.

My retort to "sorry mate I didn't see you" is to say "you didn't look did you?".

Said this to a guy in a van once, and he smiled and said "yup, I didn't look, sorry".

He'll go far.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    You're too kind.

I was pootling. I haven't ridden the bike for a solid week.

You looked pretty swift.

I'm backing off the SCR aspect, the increased number of cyclist and traffic for me makes it less than safe. I just ride and sprint where I feel appropriate these days.

WTF? I'm disappointed with you...........

On topic tho, peds that step out are a royal PITA, especially those that decide its a good idea to try strolling across a road on a red ped light as yours has gone green. Usually happens on my way down Kingsway near Holborn as I'm racing scooters off the lights - at least the scooters will blown their horns at the mindless ejits!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    Thin this is the most appropriate thread for this: I nearly ran over Andrew Marr this morning on Parliamernt Square by Birdcage walk. He just stepped out on a red man . . . I shouted at him. He gave me a dirty look. :roll:
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    HamishD wrote:
    Thin this is the most appropriate thread for this: I nearly ran over Andrew Marr this morning on Parliamernt Square by Birdcage walk. He just stepped out on a red man . . . I shouted at him. He gave me a dirty look. :roll:

More chance of running over him if you don't shout. Better luck next time!
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    HamishD wrote:
    Unlucky - that would have been one less lefty on the BBC if you'd kept going. See if you can spot Caroline Quinn from Radio 4's PM prog, and then run at her full-tilt with just a polite cough as you get within 18 inches of her. 1 day into the campaign and the bias is on full display already.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,417
    Seeing as Mr Marr's replacement is fully signed up Tory, Nick Robinson, I think the BBC's political coverage has probably taken a bit of a swing to the right. Now if you want proper leftwing news, go to Channel 4 :wink:
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • iainment
    iainment Posts: 992
    kelsen wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    kelsen wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I'm sorry but if you can't see a near 16stone black guy on a red bike with anything up to 6 lights approaching you (when at night), then you need a dog to help you across the road.

DDD, where you pootling along Clapham Common South Side this morning around 8.30? I went past a dude with humungous thighs riding a red Giant. I was expecting him to come by me along Clapham High St but didn't see him again.

Possibly, what bike were you on?

Aha...the standard non-commital SCR reply! I was on a black Tricross, black 3/4 bibs and gilet, white helly hansen l/s top, and black rucksack.

Are you a penguin?, or a magpie?
    Old hippies don't die, they just lie low until the laughter stops and their time comes round again.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    rjsterry wrote:
    Seeing as Mr Marr's replacement is fully signed up Tory, Nick Robinson, I think the BBC's political coverage has probably taken a bit of a swing to the right. Now if you want proper leftwing news, go to Channel 4 :wink:
    One desperate-to-be-impartial right-leaning journo doesn't make their coverage impartial, not when he's up against Quinn, Nauchtie, Nicky Campbell, any of the 5 Live presenters and that dire Sunday morning show where the young chap off The Thick Of It gets a load of his mates in to prove how right-on they are, to name but a few. It's all just a bit too biased.
  • rjsterry
    Impartiality at the BBC is a bit of a myth anyway - they have always had an agenda of one sort or another. Just take any news report about a subject which you know something about yourself, and it becomes clear quite how much they decide on the editorial line at the start, then interview enough people until they find someone who agrees with their stance.

Also, given the Tories' stance on the BBC, the license fee, etc., a leftwing leaning is not really that surprising. There's also the argument that left and right wing in the traditional sense are rather outdated concepts outside Westminster, but that is getting seriously OT.

http://www.culturewars.org.uk/2007-03/bbcbias.htm
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    rjsterry wrote:
    Impartiality in the media is a bit of a myth anyway
    Fixed that for you. All media outlets do much the same.

Mike
  • rjsterry
    mudcovered wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Impartiality in the media is a bit of a myth anyway
    Fixed that for you. All media outlets do much the same.

Mike

Quite. Don't actually have a problem with any particular TV channel having a particular bias/leaning so long as they are reasonably open about it. The pretence of impartiality is the more dangerous bit - people start to think that because it was on the news/in the paper, it must be THE TRUTH, rather than an interpretation from a particular point of view. Starting to see how people spend 3 years getting a degree in Meeja studies :lol:
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    rjsterry wrote:
    Impartiality at the BBC is a bit of a myth anyway - they have always had an agenda of one sort or another. Just take any news report about a subject which you know something about yourself, and it becomes clear quite how much they decide on the editorial line at the start, then interview enough people until they find someone who agrees with their stance.

Actually, I just always thought that was down to the stupidity/incompetence and lack of standards of 99.9% of journalists.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rjsterry
    That as well, but I think they may actually be taught (?) that this is the way you 'do' news, by 'setting the agenda'. Ugh, I feel nauseous just typing that.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    R_T_A wrote:
    I didn't see the link earlier, but those people who haven't seen this... and I love it:

http://www.dothetest.co.uk/basketball.html

You MUST count the number of passes to get it right.

For those who have seen this - SHUT UP :D

Now THAT is an advert - brilliant!

+1

Now, why have I never seen it on t'telly?