Look and step out instead of stop, look and then step out?

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
Why do peds do this?

I've lost count of the number times peds look and step out into the road in one movement. Then shout

"Sorry, didn't see you".

My retort?

"Of course you didn't see me, you didn't give yourself enough time to see me".

'Sigh....'

It seems that with all the 'Think' be aware, don't dink and drive, watch your speed and look out of cyclist, motorists and zombie invasion adverts there needs to be a green cross code reminder for peds.
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    cutting put down.. work on that.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Soul Boy
    Soul Boy Posts: 359
    And they probably arrive at work complaining of nearly being run over by another rude, lycra lout cyclist :roll:
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,365
    Are we supposed to join the dots between the 'Ped didn't see me' and 'I don't need Hi Viz' threads?

Or will a QI style alarm go off.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • DonDaddyD
    I'm sorry but if you can't see a near 16stone black guy on a red bike with anything up to 6 lights approaching you (when at night), then you need a dog to help you across the road.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    My first dry run into town a couple of sundays ago resulted in a few tourist peds stepping out on me as was about the take the turning onto northumberland avenue heading home, just not looking and walking out into the road against a red don't walk sign, the look I got was like I had just ran over a child, So I gave me most disapproving look and shake of me my head I passed them.

I am heading into two at 1 today for another dry/training run, will count how many do it to me again and the morons on charing cross road too who think walking just off the pavement forcing me out into the traffic more is a good idea. Mnnnngggghhhh
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Air horn time.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I'm sorry but if you can't see a near 16stone black guy on a red bike with anything up to 6 lights approaching you (when at night), then you need a dog to help you across the road.

DDD, where you pootling along Clapham Common South Side this morning around 8.30? I went past a dude with humungous thighs riding a red Giant. I was expecting him to come by me along Clapham High St but didn't see him again.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Tufty says:

tufty_prod4.gif

Stop, look & listen before crossing the road.
    Misguided Idealist
  • Happened to me the other day I was on my way home after nights and a kid with a hoody on walked straight across the road without looking. I had to brake and swerve and he just looked at me like it was my fault.

So I politely told him to look where he was going and informed him he was a flipping welsh anchor

I am glad he didn't respond as I am quite grumpy when on nights. People do make random mistakes and misjudgements but the average hoodie nob thinks their hoody cloak gives them some sort Jedi powers I am sure.

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • DonDaddyD
    Paul E wrote:
    My first dry run into town a couple of sundays ago resulted in a few tourist peds stepping out on me as was about the take the turning onto northumberland avenue heading home, just not looking and walking out into the road against a red don't walk sign, the look I got was like I had just ran over a child, So I gave me most disapproving look and shake of me my head I passed them.

I am heading into two at 1 today for another dry/training run, will count how many do it to me again and the morons on charing cross road too who think walking just off the pavement forcing me out into the traffic more is a good idea. Mnnnngggghhhh

I feel your pain, but your route doesn't sound the safest to me, there are less pedestrian/tourist traffic heavy roads.

Where is your commute toand from?
    kelsen wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

DDD, where you pootling along Clapham Common South Side this morning around 8.30? I went past a dude with humungous thighs riding a red Giant. I was expecting him to come by me along Clapham High St but didn't see him again.

Possibly, what bike were you on?
    Food Chain number = 4

• kelsen
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    kelsen wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Aha...the standard non-commital SCR reply! I was on a black Tricross, black 3/4 bibs and gilet, white helly hansen l/s top, and black rucksack.
  • Paul E
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I feel your pain, but your route doesn't sound the safest to me, there are less pedestrian/tourist traffic heavy roads.

Where is your commute to and from?

From woowich to shaftesbury ave, the part from home to embankment is fine, its just the last bit, no other way from embankment to the ave comes to mind
  • DonDaddyD
    kelsen wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    kelsen wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Aha...the standard non-commital SCR reply! I was on a black Tricross, black 3/4 bibs and gilet, white helly hansen l/s top, and black rucksack.

Clapham South tube just after the lights? Were you wearing gore 3/4lengths?

A person on a black Tricross did appear to pass me. I think I let them go.... :wink:
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD
    Paul E wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

From woowich to shaftesbury ave, the part from home to embankment is fine, its just the last bit, no other way from embankment to the ave comes to mind

Make a thread, someone is bound to know of a side road or something you can go up that won't involve Charing Cross road.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Peds who look and step out without stopping are probably not really looking, just listeninig for an engine noise to indicate approaching traffic... damn these almost silent bicycles!!

Never had this problem myself, but in my books, the old 'you should be wearing hi-viz' comment is just a way for an embarassed ped to admit they should've been paying more attention... (ok, at night, it's sensible to wear one, but in broad daylight?!?!)

They wouldn't bump into you if you were walking along the pavement, so why on earth do you suddenty become invisible on a bike? And then it's all your fault for not wearing hi-viz stuff?

The world's a mad old place...

:-P
    Earn Cashback @ Wiggle, CRC, Evans, AW Cycles, Alpine Bikes, ProBikeKit, Cycles UK :

http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/stewartmead
  • Paul E
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Paul E wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Make a thread, someone is bound to know of a side road or something you can go up that won't involve Charing Cross road.

Will do, to be honest charing cross road isn't too bad, going down any of the side roads around china town from experience are just as bad for brainless peds walking into the road
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Peds who look and step out without stopping are probably not really looking, just listeninig for an engine noise to indicate approaching traffic... damn these almost silent bicycles!!

Yep, that's where the good old bicycle bell comes in handy, or a bit of pre-emptive shouting. At least a bell makes people immediately think 'bicycle'...
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,417
    Or as I had this morning, err...., just step out into the side of me, whilst looking in the opposite direction to the approaching traffic. All low speed and just an embarrassed ped, but could have been worse.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    (ok, at night, it's sensible to wear one, but in broad daylight?!?!)

Hi-viz (as in day-glo yellow) doesn't do much at night, and pedestrians don't have lights strapped to their heads, so reflectives won't help much either. They just need to look properly; more so at night, as they should be aware that it's dark...
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • kelsen
    edited April 2010
    DonDaddyD wrote:

A person on a black Tricross did appear to pass me. I think I let them go.... :wink:

3/4 lengths but not Gore. Clapham South tube sound about right though. Anyway, if it was you, we won't call it a scalp for 2 reasons:

i) it looked like you were on a pootle day
    ii) I don't take part in SCR (though I was chasing down a scooter just prior, and passed a couple of roadies in the process)

Good to spot somebody from the forum. You look like you could do some serious damage with those legs of yours!
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    ....They wouldn't bump into you if you were walking along the pavement, so why on earth do you suddenty become invisible on a bike? ....

Classic SMIDSY situation. The brain is looking for motor vehicles so the eyes look right at you, dismiss you 'cos you don't fit the search criteria and the brain never even gets the chance to assess you...
    When you suddenly encroach on their conciousness ("Hey...!").. you have effectively appeared from nowhere: one moment there was nothing there, and now there's an irate cyclist. The obvious conclusion is that you wern't visible when they looked before, so that's why they latch onto the hi-vis thing.
    In many cases the pedestrian is more confused than you are. After all you are just wondering why they did something silly... they have no idea how you suddenly appeared without them seeing you coming!!

+1 on LiT's comment. Nothing says "bicycle" quite as well as a bell does. Ring it early, if you think you might need to, and their sub-concious will already be processing the "bicycle+warning" notion, increasing the chances of them noticing you.

Cheers,
    W.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Is it wrong that I've been seriously considering one of these... :lol:

hr30.jpg
  • DonDaddyD
    kelsen wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

3/4 lengths but not Gore. Clapham South tube sound about right though. Anyway, if it was you, we won't call it a scalp for 2 reasons:

ii) I don't take part in SCR (though I was chasing down a scooter just prior, and passed a couple of roadies in the process)

Good to spot somebody from the forum. You look like you could do some serious damage with those legs of yours!

You're too kind.

I was pootling. I haven't ridden the bike for a solid week.

You looked pretty swift.

I'm backing off the SCR aspect, the increased number of cyclist and traffic for me makes it less than safe. I just ride and sprint where I feel appropriate these days.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Specialized Needs
    Specialized Needs Posts: 802
    edited April 2010
    Clever Pun wrote:
    cutting put down.. work on that.
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Not bad, but I think it needs to be shorter, unless you are cycling really slowly :wink:
  • DonDaddyD
    :D:lol::lol:
    Food Chain number = 4

• spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I'm backing off the SCR aspect, the increased number of cyclist and traffic for me makes it less than safe. I just ride and sprint where I feel appropriate these days.

{Translation mode] I'm fed up of getting overtaken by everyone, even that Granny on the old shopping bike.

I'll pretend I'm not bothered and hope no one notices how crap I am[/Translation mode]

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    ....They wouldn't bump into you if you were walking along the pavement, so why on earth do you suddenty become invisible on a bike? ....

Classic SMIDSY situation. The brain is looking for motor vehicles so the eyes look right at you, dismiss you 'cos you don't fit the search criteria and the brain never even gets the chance to assess you...
    When you suddenly encroach on their conciousness ("Hey...!").. you have effectively appeared from nowhere: one moment there was nothing there, and now there's an irate cyclist. The obvious conclusion is that you wern't visible when they looked before, so that's why they latch onto the hi-vis thing.
    In many cases the pedestrian is more confused than you are. After all you are just wondering why they did something silly... they have no idea how you suddenly appeared without them seeing you coming!!

+1 on LiT's comment. Nothing says "bicycle" quite as well as a bell does. Ring it early, if you think you might need to, and their sub-concious will already be processing the "bicycle+warning" notion, increasing the chances of them noticing you.

Cheers, W.

I didn't see the link earlier, but those people who haven't seen this... and I love it:

http://www.dothetest.co.uk/basketball.html

You MUST count the number of passes to get it right.

For those who have seen this - SHUT UP :D
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    I didn't see the link earlier, but those people who haven't seen this... and I love it:

http://www.dothetest.co.uk/basketball.html

You MUST count the number of passes to get it right.

For those who have seen this - SHUT UP :D

Now THAT is an advert - brilliant!
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    kelsen wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I'm sorry but this is b0ll0cks - DDD you were scalped!

MTFU the both of you.
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    edited April 2010
    Peds who look and step out without stopping are probably not really looking, just listeninig for an engine noise to indicate approaching traffic... damn these almost silent bicycles!!

Yep, that's where the good old bicycle bell comes in handy, or a bit of pre-emptive shouting. At least a bell makes people immediately think 'bicycle'...

Just bought a loverly new bell the other weekend. Only trouble is the securing bracket dont fit. :( Got to figure out if I can make one a bit later

I run Hope Pro 3s and the clakety-clack seems to alert people that I'm approaching.

Had an incident today when a old dear was waiting to cross near a railway bridge. As I drew level with her she stepped off the pavement and very nearly got her feet run over. :oops: I had an overtaking car to my right so couldnt exactly move.
    iPete wrote:
    Is it wrong that I've been seriously considering one of these... :lol:

hr30.jpg

Have bought a horn like that. They're a lot louder than you'd imagine. Halford have started selling the old chrome and rubber horn (like on old cars), and the dutch cycle bells down here. VERY cool.