Proper hard men.

12346»

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Classics season so this thread could do with a bump.

Some superb photos here:
    http://stephanvanfleteren.com/en/portfo ... /flandrien

(You will recognize FJS' avatar there!)

Jeez. Tom Boonen's torso is like a well done bit of bacon. Not a pick on him.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Can someone translate this?

"E Flandrien attakeert va mitte datn kan en e gift nôois op"
    That's some bonkers local Flemish dialect. West-Flemish?
    It means, as far as I can make out, "a flandrien attacks as soon as he can and he never gives up".

Who is it from?
  • FJS wrote:

It means, as far as I can make out, "a flandrien attacks as soon as he can and he never gives up".

Who is it from?

That Dutch thing abbreviating personal pronouns and adjectives? They went to town there.

That was my understanding of it as well, FJS. That that Va part of a seperable verb? I hate those guys.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Belgians.

Might be a good lark for cycling, being a simple sport and all, but yeah....

usual disclaimer
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Should probably put a Stannard pic up.

There's a good handful of riders who always do better when it's really sh!te weather.

EBH, Haussler (relative), Ciolek, Stannard to name a few. I'm sure there are more people can name.

Armstrong was always good in bad weather.
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    I know 2 of these guys are not popular on here but Evans/Cunego/Vino 123 on the Strade Bianchi roads in the Giro was proper hard man stuff ... Especially 1 & 2 who are prone to weakness when things get tough ...
  • I know 2 of these guys are not popular on here but Evans/Cunego/Vino 123 on the Strade Bianchi roads in the Giro was proper hard man stuff ... Especially 1 & 2 who are prone to weakness when things get tough ...

I'll never stop rating Cunego. And Evans is one of those guys I always thought of as a bad weather rider
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Some superb photos here:
    I like the photo of the guy riding up the Muur with his dog, front panniers, and a frock coat.

I’ve no idea when Boonen’s photo is from (sometime in his pre-tattoo days) or what his weight might have been then, but reputedly over this Winter he reduced his normal weight of 82 kg down to 72 kg, fat loss too, not muscle loss, so he’ll be very lean bacon now, and with probably be even less of a pick on him.
  • FJS
    FJS wrote:

Who is it from?

That Dutch thing abbreviating personal pronouns and adjectives? They went to town there.

That was my understanding of it as well, FJS. That that Va part of a seperable verb? I hate those guys.
    I took 'va' as short for 'van' (many dialects dont pronounce the last n) and 'mitte' as 'meteen' in local accent. But i have to say I'm not 100 % sure about that but, and I'm Dutch.
  • knedlicky wrote:
    Some superb photos here:

Really awesome photos...

Shopping forum
  • FJS
    Should probably put a Stannard pic up.

There's a good handful of riders who always do better when it's really sh!te weather.

EBH, Haussler (relative), Ciolek, Stannard to name a few. I'm sure there are more people can name.

Armstrong was always good in bad weather.
    Bobby Traksel. Kuurne Brussel Kuurne 2010 is still the hard men gold standard of recent years I reckon. Stannard was on the podium
  • It says it all that the storm they rode through actually killed people in Northern France
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    FJS wrote:

Who is it from?

I saw it at the top of this site:
    http://suodatinpussi.com/work_flandrien.html
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    6888873082_6b96b665f2_o.jpg

About 15 years ago I cycled the Dempster from Dawson City to Inuvik on my mtb. The last 400km it just rained torrentially and the track was reduced to thick mud in many places necessitating pushing in the worst sections. When I finally got to the end, I realised why, as I cycled through town, I got some weird looks. Then when I looked in a mirror, this is just what I looked like, maybe wose as I was like this from head to toe.
  • Worth mentioning a couple of old team-mates from the Tulip days... Pieper was one of the hardest there was. I spent two weeks living and training with him back in 1991 and I have never trained so hard in my life, sweet-jesus he could dig deep.

A friend of mine briefly shared a house with Pieper in Belgium IIRC, said he ate nothing but porridge with water on :shock:
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Worth mentioning a couple of old team-mates from the Tulip days... Pieper was one of the hardest there was. I spent two weeks living and training with him back in 1991 and I have never trained so hard in my life, sweet-jesus he could dig deep.

A friend of mine briefly shared a house with Pieper in Belgium IIRC, said he ate nothing but porridge with water on :shock:
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Re-viving this excellent thread.
    Imagine the fastest rides that you do – racing or training. You are on the rivet, eyes glued to the wheel in front as tiny rivulets of sweat sting your eyes. Now imagine upping the pace by about another 4mph or 5mph and staying there for about 100 miles. The road breaks up into long cobbled sections, rough and uneven with frequent potholes. The bunch, over 100 strong, looks for every tiny respite from the cobbles. You dive left onto a narrow sandy strip about 6 inches wide. Suddenly everyone is charging over to the other side of the road where there is a better strip of smooth track. The track finishes abruptly as you enter the outskirts of a small town. The twisting road offers numerous corners. You head into them at full tilt. You sprint out of them even faster. The town has trams (streetcars) and now everyone is trying to avoid getting their wheels into the tracks. Riders bunny hop sideways up on to the sidewalk. Back out of town and the road opens up into a bleak, featureless countryside. Now the road is an endless strip of concrete slabs. About every 10 seconds for the next twenty minutes the gap between each slab sends a sharp shudder up your forks and through your arms to rattle the teeth in your head. All this time a strong wind coming off the ocean is buffeting the peloton. Echelons form and no quarter is given in trying to secure a place in them. Those hanging onto the tail of an echelon will shortly lose contact. For the majority of the riders this infernal cocktail is not much more than an exercise in survival. Hold the wheel in front and grab whatever drafting advantage that you can. Up front the elite riders maintain the incredible tempo and yet look totally at ease. It starts to rain just as you approach another set of cobbles. The speed is increased and now you attempt to stay upright on a surface which is more like riding on blocks of ice. Seventy miles done and the final phase of the race heads for the ‘bergs’. Nasty short climbs, usually cobbled. Forget the pacing; it is now a war of attrition. At the top of each berg the fragmented bunch attempts to become one cohesive unit again. The strong make it, the rest are shelled out and are done for the day. Coming into the finish town or village there is a long cobbled main street with the finish at the far end. You wonder where you are going to find the strength to sprint. The top twenty riders all receive a cash payout. The winner is the hero for the day. Four hours or so of racing at an insane speed. Cobbles, concrete slab roads that never seem to end, brutal cobbled climbs and an endless struggle to stay on the wheel in front while often performing great acrobatic skills just to stay upright. All the while Mother Nature is hurling powerful winds in your face and every now and then it rains hard. Mud and manure from the farms has splashed all over you. On a real bad day you look as though you have a face pack on. Everyone goes home exhausted. The bike is a mess and serious work needs to be done to restore the wheels back to true. On average you will race like this about four times every week.

http://www.cyclingrevealed.com/april05/cover.html

--

Light perusal: http://flahutejuggernaut.tumblr.com/

--

1977-Tour-des-Flandres-1-620x758.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest