i rode a hardtail today

welshkev
welshkev Posts: 9,690
edited April 2010 in MTB general
as in the title, i rode a hard tail today for the first time in over a year. i was mighty impressed, no pedal bob, all the power moves you forward...i think i'm gonna get myself one :D

boardman team i think i'll get...mmmm, shiny new bike time :lol:

Comments

• covelove
    covelove Posts: 209
    welcome to hardtail! buckaroo tastic :)
    does my tail look hard in this?

cove stiffee

orange 222
  • tptvmbircn
    tptvmbircn Posts: 782
    now go ridgid :twisted:
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    now go ridgid :twisted:

And.... singlespeed with 29" wheels!¡!¡! :twisted:

Yea, HT bikes do rock when it comes to scrambling up hills and getting all the power on to the ground.. the beauty of simplicity
  • tptvmbircn
    I love my ridgid and strange you say that thinking of getting 29" forks for it, carbon of course :D
  • I've just welded up the suspension on my car, can't wait to try it and feel the power increase!
  • tptvmbircn
    I've just welded up the suspension on my car, can't wait to try it and feel the power increase!

imagine the wheelies? haha
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    good for you! hardtaills rule! i hope you have flats too? other wise bigbenj won't be happy...
  • nickfrog
    nickfrog Posts: 610
    I know so many people going back to hardtails, particularly in the South East were FS bikes are rarely not of any use. Marketing BS really.
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    hardtails are cheaper as well so now due to the credict crunch etc. alot of people are getting hardtails
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    OTOH today I benched my hardtail and took the big bike out for a play on the sort of simple mile munching XC it should be rubbish for. It was great! Great in a different way to the hardtail but still great.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    i miss my hardtail. must buy another one for summer :D

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • wavey1490
    wavey1490 Posts: 39
    hard tails kick ass. you learn how to rde again and not get lazy by letting the bike do all the work. So if you then ever go back to a fully sussed machine, you can then reapply what you have re-learnt and go even faster !!
    Anorexic Racing Snake ;)
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,097
    love mine :)
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    Got a HT cheap the other month and have hardly used my full sus since.
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    Once you've seen the light..
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    RealMan wrote:
    Once you've seen the light..

Amen , praise the lord......
    who also rides a HT.

:wink:
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
  • welshkev
    just for you hardtail purists, i'm not ditching my full suss totally. that'll still be running aswell :D
  • welshkev wrote:
    just for you hardtail purists, i'm not ditching my full suss totally. that'll still be running aswell :D
    Wimp.
  • rhyko7
    rhyko7 Posts: 781
    i rode a HT around Cwmcarn today, i missed my FS so much buts its broke.
    TBH i think HT's are ok if you have 120MM+ forks on them, the only reason i dont like mine is because the 100mm forks are broke, my gears dont work, my cassettes knackerd and im skint lol, when it works its fun tho but you cant ride it down the descents like you can with a FS
    awaiting bearing kit for my FS then the HT go's back to its sole duty as a commuter.
    Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337
  • Dubzy
    Dubzy Posts: 123
    I've just welded up the suspension on my car, can't wait to try it and feel the power increase!

That's very unwise - It'll never get through the MOT. :wink:

Do I detect a full suss snobbery - surely not?

Just a bike - that's all you need.
    Life's good

Boardman MTB Team
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I just love the searing acceleration with a hardtail - you feel all your power making you go forward.
  • D-Cyph3r
    D-Cyph3r Posts: 847
    I must admit I do miss the acceleration aswell as the ease of riding on road to the trails.... but when I am on the rough stuff I remember why I bought a full susser.

Next bike will definitely be a lightweight HT though.
  • hyperman
    hyperman Posts: 232
    why is that people who ride hardtails are always justifying there purchases and bragging about the wonders of a hardtail mountain bike? you never hear full suss riders doing it........
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    edited April 2010
    hyperman wrote:
    why is that people who ride hardtails are always justifying there purchases and bragging about the wonders of a hardtail mountain bike? you never hear full suss riders doing it........

Wut? Someone's doing it in the post directly above yours, and in the post 3 above that, and in a thread about how good hardtails are :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • hyperman wrote:

That's all they ever do!
  • welshkev
    rhyko7 wrote:
    i rode a HT around Cwmcarn today, i missed my FS so much buts its broke.
    TBH i think HT's are ok if you have 120MM+ forks on them, the only reason i dont like mine is because the 100mm forks are broke, my gears dont work, my cassettes knackerd and im skint lol, when it works its fun tho but you cant ride it down the descents like you can with a FS
    awaiting bearing kit for my FS then the HT go's back to its sole duty as a commuter.

i know what you mean, i rode my full susser around cwmcarn earlier, love it on the descents :D but my bearings on the back end are creaking like a good un, time to get it serviced i think
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    I've just bought my first HT! Well, won it on eBay, went from rigid to FS.

Nato Green Stiffee to go with my Shocker and my Enduro.