i rode a hardtail today

13»

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i actually keep a hardtail (giant rincon) just so i can gob off with some authority during fs vs ht arguments, i mean threads.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I love my hard tail, im never getting a full susser! I was contemplating it once, but I just couldn't do it!
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    i even had a go on my mates fuel ex 9, still preffer my HT
    anyone who says HT's are just a cheap man's bike, or that they are outdated, or whatever need to have a go, and not just one ride... but get used to it, and learn it... its a differnt art....

Maybe you needed longer than 1 ride on the Ex 9, to get used to it....and learn it.... it's a different art.....

I do the same as Sheeps actually, I've still got my Stumpy built up with some decent bits (gears and Rebas again :/). This coming weekend I'm pulling it apart to make a bike for the Missus though, I've got a Specialized Tricross Comp incoming (cyclocross bike). It should give me even more arguing leverage. Front suspension? 2"+ tyres? Disc brakes?! You guys are on motorbikes! Pfft!
  • nickfrog
    nickfrog Posts: 610
    *AL* wrote:
    I've ridden HT up to the end of last year when I bought an Epic as well.
    I love my HT with a passion, but I'm getting older and parts of my are starting to ache more and more, so the Epic has enough movement on the rear so save my ageing spine.

I can see your point. I am 41 and still feel like I felt when I was 25 when riding but that's not gonna last forever so my total reluctance to embrace FS might only last as long as my body will allow.
    Having said that, there may be interim measures on my HT like bigger tyres running lower pressure or carbon bars / ti post that may cushion the blow for a while ?
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    nickfrog wrote:
    Having said that, there may be interim measures on my HT like bigger tyres running lower pressure or carbon bars / ti post that may cushion the blow for a while ?

Yes. Carbon posts and bars will take some buzz out of the trail but don't expect miracles :wink: For the wide tyre/low pressure route, take a look at getting some wheels with Stan's rims and running tubeless. The design of Stan's rims makes your tyre contact patch wider and going tubeless means you can run low pressures without the fear of pinch flats (note the Stan's rims also reduce the chance of pinch flats if you run them with tubes).
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    Toasty wrote:
    i even had a go on my mates fuel ex 9, still preffer my HT
    anyone who says HT's are just a cheap man's bike, or that they are outdated, or whatever need to have a go, and not just one ride... but get used to it, and learn it... its a differnt art....

Maybe you needed longer than 1 ride on the Ex 9, to get used to it....and learn it.... it's a different art.....

I do the same as Sheeps actually, I've still got my Stumpy built up with some decent bits (gears and Rebas again :/). This coming weekend I'm pulling it apart to make a bike for the Missus though, I've got a Specialized Tricross Comp incoming (cyclocross bike). It should give me even more arguing leverage. Front suspension? 2"+ tyres? Disc brakes?! You guys are on motorbikes! Pfft!
    ok, fair point, but the thing is, most things i can do on my HT are easyer/just as easy on an FS, im just as fast (if not faster) and its more comfy.... therefore it is hugely advanced, but advanced is not fun, not always. My HT may be "worse" but i enjoy riding it , it makes me happy, infact it makes me more happy than riding an FS, i know this for a fact as i have in the past spent extended periods on FS's, and iv got used to them, and iv riddden one's that just feel "right" they click and just feel perfect, but i still always enjoy HT's more, they just feel more "me" the suit me more, they make me ride my best, and i always enjoy.... and this i think proves that its down to personal preference, i love all types of bike, and id sooner have a Fixie (the devil in bike form) than no bike, but as i do have a choice, HT is, for me, the best
    I like bikes and stuff