To joplin or not?

little wiser
little wiser Posts: 662
edited April 2010 in MTB general
Hi kinda sick of moving seat post up and down on the pitch what do you all think of these worth it?
The idea seems great dont have much hassle when at local downhill spot but think it would be nice for trail centres etc?
Opinions please.

Comments

• If they did one small enough to fit a 456, I'd have one already!

Go for it!
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    Pros:
    can flow better, as you can adjust it without stopping

Cons:
    very expensive
    heavier than normal ones
    not always reliable
    still have to wait for your friends to adjust theirs, unless you're loaded and can buy all your friends joplins, or ride alone.
    QR seatclamps are pretty easy and quick to adjust anyway

That's just my opinion, so i wouldn't get one
  • hoochylala
    hoochylala Posts: 987
    I can see the benefit but think this is a great point -
    still have to wait for your friends to adjust theirs, unless you're loaded and can buy all your friends joplins, or ride alone.

I use adjusting my seatpost as an excuse for a breather at the top of a climb :oops: I have also heard some comments from members on here and other forums to thier lack of reliability.
  • ads4
    ads4 Posts: 698
    I'm about to invest in a Joplin 4 remote. They are heavier but would you really notice 300g? Have a big poo before you go out if that's the case ;)

The Joplin 4 by all accounts has had all the previous problems solved but is still new and there aren't any long term tests yet...still, worth a punt IMO.
    Adam.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Current ride - Yeti ASR 5a X0
  • Pros:
    can flow better, as you can adjust it without stopping

Cons:
    very expensive
    heavier than normal ones
    not always reliable
    QR seatclamps are pretty easy and quick to adjust anyway

That's just my opinion, so i wouldn't get one
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    There are various Threads covering the Joplin and it's [alleged] reliability [issues]
    I've had an original 3 inch Joplin for about 16 odd months and it's been fine. Having the ability to drop and raise the saddle on the fly makes a huge difference.
    I opted for the lever version but soon upgraded to the remote option as it means I don't have to remove my hands from the bars to drop and raise it.
    Mine has performed flawlessly and yes, it does require periodic maintenance as do most things.

When I am at the bottom of a hill, I smile watching my buddies readjusting their seatposts. Sure 200 bones is quite a bit of money, but the convenience the Joplin offers me is worth every penny..

Joplin Thread
    Joplin Thread
    Joplin Thread

As for the weight weenies who believe they ride the wheeled equivalent of Kate Moss, I guess the 505-590 grams would be life changing to them..

Also the biggest critics of the Joplin are those who've never owned one. There are other alternatives like the Pure i900, I would certainly recommend doing a search on the i900 too..
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    It's nice that you've had good reliability from the older Joplin but there's plenty of people who haven't... The i900 looks like it might actually be good now that they've fixed it, but the old version was very poor, might have a flutter on one of these for the Hemlock though, nice to have the extra inch.

I still reckon the only really good option is a gravity dropper. Come in 27.2, extremely reliable (and easy to service when it needs it), lightweight as these things go... Just terribly, terribly ugly :shock: But if you can get over that I don't think there's much doubt that they're the best, proven option here.

And RaymondAvalon's spot on, they make such a huge difference to your riding. Not such a huge deal at your classic trailcentre with a climb then a descent, because on those you know when to put the seat up and down, but in real world riding or more varied built trails like Kirroughtree you have a constant mix and it makes an enormous difference to have the saddle at the right height all the time.

(It's not about how fast you can drop it, it's about choosing exactly when you have it dropped)

Mine's due for a service now but still works perfectly. Both my mates' ones have never missed a beat. OTOH Chris's i900 has been REPLACED completely twice in that time and rebuilt once and only now does it work properly, and of the 2 Joplins I know of one failed halfway down the megavalanche on its 3rd ever ride and is now in a landfill in france, and the other is covered in bodged-together inner tube seals to try and stop it from clogging up again- though it does work pretty well since he did that. Never heard any complaints from the guy with the Command Post so I guess it just works.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • M6TTF
    M6TTF Posts: 602
    Never move my saddle height, just hang off the back... Can't get faster than that for adjustment ;)
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    I did, got a Joplin 3 (I think), like Raymondavalon, had no problems and that's with minimal servicing. But then I do clean my bike properly after most rides and have a rear crud guard so maybe that's why it still works.

Definitely nice to be able to get it out of the way quickly. Definitely go for the rmote version.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • RIKO
    RIKO Posts: 559
    Got an i900 for my Pitch about 3 months ago I absoloutly love it. Makes switching from xc height to dropped for downhilling so easy and it always goes back to the same max height which is great.
  • I put a Joplin 3 on my Enduro SL - would recommend it for your Pitch. A basic strip down and clean takes about 15 minutes with pretty basic tools, so I wouldn't be too concerned about the reliability issues. Whichever uppy downy seatpost you fit, you'll find that you compromise on saddle height less - higher up where you need maximum pedalling efficiency, all the way down when the trail is steep and somewhere in between for where you need a little bit more room but might still need to sit occasionally. I think that Spesh's own Command Post has three positions that reflect this kind of use...
  • I have got a 2009 ksi900 31.6 with the new 2010 remote used five times. It was excellent and really made a massive difference to my riding also meant the saddle was always at best height for climbing something I could never replicate when doing it manually.

I was going to fit it to my next full suss but not going to get a new frame for at least a year. Thinking of selling it tbh. Its in good condition just a slight bit of wear on anodising caused by poor placement in a bike trailer,it doesn't affect it only cosmetic tbh . Could be persuaded to part with it for a ton.

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • Raymondavalon
    Thinking of selling it tbh. Its in good condition just a slight bit of wear on anodising caused by poor placement in a bike trailer,it doesn't affect it only cosmetic tbh . Could be persuaded to part with it for a ton.

That was a shameless plug..
    Please don't use other peoples' Threads to try and sell your warez, we have the classifieds section for that.
  • Apologies .I did provide a review also ,but point taken

• That was a shameless plug..
    Please don't use other peoples' Threads to try and sell your warez, we have the classifieds section for that.

Oooooooooooo get your mr. You tell him. :roll:
    4 wheels bad
    2 wheels good
    1 wheel for fun
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    stumpyjon wrote:
    I did, got a Joplin 3 (I think), like Raymondavalon, had no problems and that's with minimal servicing. But then I do clean my bike properly after most rides

Agree with this I have been uisng a Joplin 3 for a couple of months now and ridden in truly horrendous weather conditions with no problems, I don't have the remote version, and personally don't find it a problem with the lever under the saddle. The three inches of drop adds a huge amount of confidence on downhills.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i love my joplin so much i have just orderered one for my other fave bike too.

they are expensive, heavy and may require some servicing

but

they are a revelation, for the folk who have opinions but no experience, my recommendation is to give one a try, it makes such a difference to your ride that its difficult to convince folk with words.

as far as im concerned, they are worth every penny (especially if you can get the remote version for 130 quid)
  • D-Cyph3r
    D-Cyph3r Posts: 847
    So excuse me for being ignorant, but why would anyone need a remotely/on-the-fly adjustable seatpost? Unless you have legs that shrink and grow throughout your ride theres only 1 height needed with most frames and there dropped top tubes surely. :?
  • as far as im concerned, they are worth every penny (especially if you can get the remote version for 130 quid)[/quote]

Thanks for all your views and even the shameless plug :D , where can you get the remote version for 130 quid?, gotta save up if i decide or bung it yet again on credit card and hide it from the missus :oops:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I tried one - not worth it to me and my riding, and the way I ride.
  • Anonymous
    D-Cyph3r wrote:
    So excuse me for being ignorant, but why would anyone need a remotely/on-the-fly adjustable seatpost? Unless you have legs that shrink and grow throughout your ride theres only 1 height needed with most frames and there dropped top tubes surely. :?

itd because if you have the p[ost all the way up for an efficient pedal stroke, the saddle can get in the way on descents when you want to hang off the back of the bike

if you have it low enough to pop off the back of the bike, you might not get an efficient pedal stroke,

for lots of folk, this isnt a particular problem and they are happy with a compromised saddle position. for lots of folk, its better to stop and adjust as the terrain dictates, theres nowt wrong with either solution especially when you think of the cost involved.

for me though, the remote post allows me to have the saddle in the correct position at all times and for that reason they are worth the money any day o fthe week.

i got my newest one for 130 quid from evans cycles today.
  • Raymondavalon
    Thanks for all your views and even the shameless plug :D , where can you get the remote version for 130 quid?

Glad you found the replies useful, it's amazing how many Members start Threads and never reply, it's refreshing to see an OP reply with a thanks :D :

As for your question: Joplin R (3 inch version) for £129.99
    D-Cyph3r wrote:

Obviously you failed to read the entire Thread!
    A few people have stipulated the uses for an adjustable seatpost and advantages they gained quite clearly, although they aren't suited to all riders.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    and if I did have one, it would need to drop 6 or 7 inches.
  • I try to get back to people when i start threads some advice i take on board others i dismiss lol but its everyones opinion and thats what i asked for :D .
    Now do i need the remote version? prob not on the pitch have to flick two levers whats one more.
    Damn so tempted to order it in time for a solo trip to Llandeagla i dont need it but i want it :shock:
    Thanks again all, except holiday, hardtail, flat pedal boy :roll:
  • supersonic wrote:

I bet you wish you had something that dropped that low :wink:
  • supersonic wrote:

Ksi900 does 5" (very good previously used) , however this bad boy does the full 9"

http://www.rasebike.com/

Not sure how good the rase are but I definitely rate adjustable seatpost in some shape or another. I could never get my saddle back to the right position after manually dropping it. A remote version means you can mess about as much as you like without risking falling off. No need to stop either.

• Ok then just been looking and i have a couple off questions if any one would care to answer them?
    Whats the difference between joplin3 (on crc) and the joplin3 SMU (on evans)?
    and also i take it if i but the remote version i dont have to use the remote kit?
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    The joplin is a cracking piece of kit, works better with a remote. BUT...............

If I had my time again I woulndnt buy one purely on the grounds of the hassle I've had with mine. My other half bought me the Joplin 3 before Xmas just gone and it was going well until it started creeping down on rides. It got worse and worse so it went in to be repaired, the seal had gone in the top valve. It came back and was fine for a few rides and then started to do the same again. It went back again and after a long wait they replaced it with a new Joplin 4.

This joplin 4 aint much cop either. Do the seatclamp up tight and it wont return to the up position, infact the seatclamp has to be pretty loose for it to work properly, loose enough for the lower part of the post to slip down the seat tube when riding. I'm sure I will find a happy medium!

If you get one its well worth investing in something to keep the dirt away from the seal, on the cheap an innertube will do but I bought a large endura chainstay protector.

On the other hand the £100 joplin 3 I bought the other half from CRC has been faultless, and she's a pig with her bike (never clans it properly)

Luck of the draw I think :?
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    Ok then just been looking and i have a couple off questions if any one would care to answer them?
    and also i take it if i but the remote version i dont have to use the remote kit?

Thats a pretty good price on Evans, Not sure what the SMU means though.

The remote kit is a good bit of kit, adjusting the height on the fly by using the under seat lever is tricky and can lead to gravel rash, the remote kit lets you do it without taking your hands off the bars.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • Anonymous
    Ok then just been looking and i have a couple off questions if any one would care to answer them?

i dont know what the smu means but it is what i bought.

it comes as a lever operated post but is complete with a remote kit so you can convert to a remote. i dont see the point of the lever version as you need to slow or stop to change your saddle height anyway and it reduces the whole point of the post which for me is about improving flow.