Commuting and Fitness.

13»

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    CdrJake wrote:
    I hate going to the gym, it's usually full of preening idiots trying to out do each other in any number of ways. If you think your regular city gyms are bad, don't ever go into a military gym, it is truely a soul destroying experiance unless you are a classic 'jock'. It is however a satisfying experiance when you can out run and out cycle the 21 year old PTI :lol:
    Hee, hee. You see, that's it. My uni gym was used by a number of international level athletes, just doing their normal training. It kinda kept the other egos in check :lol:
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,417
    rjsterry wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    ...the bulging thighs/pigeon chest & stick arms look....

I like to think I (ahem) 'rock' that look :oops:

You see what you need to combat that is a selection of weights (or in my case kids) at home to do some exercise :-)
    I'm slowly learning not to do the throwing-them-in-the-air tricks when the eldest is around otherwise I end up having to try repeating the same thing with her, except she's not my "little" girl anymore and weighs about 4 or 5 stone :-D

It really is win/win (if you ignore the high running costts....) you can get a good upper body workout AND entertain the kids :lol:

True. Mrs RJS confirms that pushing Little M in her pram to Sutton and back indeed works out the upper body. Also the fairly heavy duty DIY I have lined up at the moment helps - have to build new back gate from scratch and replace fence.

CJCP, if you think there's not much of me, you should see my younger brother - 3 inches taller and if anything slightly thinner.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    cjcp wrote:
    I look nothing like a swimmer. I just don't look like a cyclist, and certainly don't look like a runner, so that left only one other option.

But his head is definitely akin to duncan goodhews :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    The London gym I used to go to was hilarious - full of Kensington housewives who put make-up ON to go to the gym. I found this very confusing.

It was a stupidly pricey gym on High Street Ken though, serves me right.

The little one I now go to in rural Essex is a far nicer place, very friendly, not at all posey.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    cjcp wrote:
    I look nothing like a swimmer. I just don't look like a cyclist, and certainly don't look like a runner, so that left only one other option.

But his head is definitely akin to duncan goodhews :D

Aerodynamic, see. :wink:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • CdrJake
    CdrJake Posts: 296
    The London gym I used to go to was hilarious - full of Kensington housewives who put make-up ON to go to the gym. I found this very confusing.

The little one I now go to in rural Essex is a far nicer place, very friendly, not at all posey.

I have always found the 'make up on' thing in the gym slightly disturbing. I never know who's benefit it's for. I would rather see a women in the gym, taking it seriously and sweating than one who is more concerned about her outward appearence in the form of the make up she wears.
    twitter: @JakeM1969
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    CdrJake wrote:

I have always found the 'make up on' thing in the gym slightly disturbing. I never know who's benefit it's for. I would rather see a women in the gym, taking it seriously and sweating than one who is more concerned about her outward appearence in the form of the make up she wears.

I reckon it's for a) other women then b) viable men. No, I'm not implying they're gay, just that women like to be the queen bee and endeavour to look the prettiest.

If I've got make-up on in the gym it's because I've forgotten I was wearing it. It's never a good look - I end up like Alice Cooper...
  • CdrJake
    CdrJake Posts: 296
    CdrJake wrote:

I reckon it's for a) other women then b) viable men. No, I'm not implying they're gay, just that women like to be the queen bee and endeavour to look the prettiest.

If I've got make-up on in the gym it's because I've forgotten I was wearing it. It's never a good look - I end up like Alice Cooper...

Ok so I don't claim to be the average male, but I do think most of us find the make up on in the gym trend to be somewhat shallow. To me it's suggestive of someone who has little in the way of real personality and uses outward appearences to cover for this.

Having said this NGale does look shocking after refereeing. :lol:
    twitter: @JakeM1969