lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
So, I'm curious.

See poll.

:D

Comments

• roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    I don't train so I ride to work, and if time take the bike out for a spin on weekend/day off. no planned training I am finding it easier this year, but thats probably as I'm happier in job and a stone at least lighter.
  • Big Wib
    Big Wib Posts: 363
    I do all sorts coz I'm mad, although at the moment its mainly marathon training and boy am I sick of that

but I'm not losing weight :cry:
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I do the commute and usually a Sunday morning ride 20-30 miles - I used to find this quite hard but now its relaxing - probably need to up my mileage
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Mon - 34 mile round trip commute + 1km swim
    Tues - 34 mile commute + 1hr spin
    Wed - 34 mile commute
    Thur - 34 mile commute + 1km swim
    Fri - 34 mile commute + 1km swim
    Sat - Rest
    Sun - 10k run

Pity I love food and booze so much :(
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Asprilla wrote:
    Mon - 34 mile round trip commute + 1km swim
    Tues - 34 mile commute + 1hr spin
    Wed - 34 mile commute
    Thur - 34 mile commute + 1km swim
    Fri - 34 mile commute + 1km swim
    Sat - Rest
    Sun - 10k run

Pity I love food and booze so much :(

I just read that list - now I need to lie down :wink:
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    My commute's only 5 miles, so not really enough there. At the moment, I'm aiming for at least 100 miles a week average (obviously up and down a bit depending on weather and anything else I'm doing). I'm pretty sure I'm in good shape for September's London-Paris ride, but I'm not taking it for granted. I usually do at least one or two rides during the week (I work a late shift so have the morning) - just 10-15 miles or so, and one or two 30-40 milers (or thereabouts) at the weekend. I did 200 last week when I was on leave, would have been nearer 300 (if not that many) if not for the Viner problem. I like walking too, but hate running, can't swim, and have absolutely no wish to join a gym.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,417
    Just the commute for me with a very occasional short weekend ride if I get up early enough. Mainly due to only getting about 5 hrs interrupted sleep (8mth old daughter) and having endless DIY to do, weekends are either for sleeping or working on the house.

Asprilla - you really need a hobby that doesn't involve exercise, that is just showing off :wink:
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    rjsterry wrote:
    Asprilla - you really need a hobby that doesn't involve exercise, that is just showing off :wink:

I'm thinking about taking up clay pigeon shooting, if that helps? :)

Very lucky in that our 4 month old sleeps though, on the occasions that she doesn't it just wipes out the whole day.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    None of the options fit me really. But I suppose "commute and weekend rides" is the closest.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Now, you see, I really wanted to pick option 7 but my running/snowboarding/surfing etc have all lapsed. Am thinking of taking up the gym again, though. Reluctantly, it's option 2 for me at the moment.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Upping the weeked mileage recently since I bought my mid-life cricycle (MTB) AND six yo daughter has finally ditched her stabilisers - so here's one happy chap looking forward to new and different two wheeled adventures. Other sports mostly Shotokan and cricket.
    Ever get the feeling that life's too damn short?
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,201
    edited April 2010
    Feeling good about myself after picking option 7 (just) :)

Other sport is running. OK, the commute's 2-3 times a week; the weekend ride is mucking about on the MTB (they're all bikes) and the 'gym' is my weights etc at home....
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    During the week it's the commute and recently a once-a-week lunchtime 20-odd mile ride with some colleagues. Then there is the Ultimate (frisbee) training once a week, indoors our outdoors depending on the time of year (so just moved outside now the clocks have changed) and then Wednesday's in the summer there is also some Softball.
    A fair few weekends are taken up by either Softball or Ultimate tournaments, and those that are left will usually include a decent ride at some point but it's not every weekend. Life and the weather see to that.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Commute; weekend rides (when I can) and gym 3-4 times a week

Might start up the netball again but I'm worried about the ankle injury I picked up in the winter, my foot still isn't right :?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    JonGinge wrote:
    Now, you see, I really wanted to pick option 7 but my running/snowboarding/surfing etc have all lapsed. Am thinking of taking up the gym again, though. Reluctantly, it's option 2 for me at the moment.

MTFU
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Clever Pun wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

MTFU
    Intriguing response from someone too worried to play Netball* :P

*ankles are tricky things. Mike's still a bit dodgy 2 years after breaking it playing 5-a-side footie
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Clever Pun wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

MTFU

+1
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • riggsy81
    riggsy81 Posts: 281
    my week consists of my daily commute (20 miles) and then ususally a 20mile off road session on the weekend...
    I̶m̶ ̶t̶i̶r̶e̶d̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶r̶a̶i̶n̶i̶n̶g̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶ ̶l̶a̶t̶e̶
    NO EXCUSES
    JUST RIDE!!!
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Commuting for fitness (amongst other things). It was one of the reasons I gave myself anyway.

Weekend rides for fun :)

I don't really go out with an aim of improving/maintaing fitness though, I just like riding my bike.

I'm sorta considering picking up another sport/activity though, just need to find one that takes my interest.
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Does darts count as the other sport?

(This is a joke. I'm not even brave enough to clarify that I DONT play darts at the pub, with blokes, in "font=tiny".)
  • I do my commute of either 5 or 10 miles per day, depending on where I need to be. I also do weekend rides when it's not raining/too cold :oops: . These are usually between about 15 and 20 miles.

I then also play 5-a-side football once a week.

I'm still a bit of a fat barsterd, although I've lost a stone and half in the last year or so...
    Dahon Jack 2008 - FCN 10 - Never been scalped though...
  • Mithras
    Mithras Posts: 428
    150 miles a week on the commute, once my knees are fully recovered I'll also be doing my patrols on the works MTB. Probably more miles than I should be doing at 42!
    I can afford to talk softly!....................I carry a big stick!
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    per week . . .

50k a day x5 for the commute
    5k run x3
    750m swim x3
    weights session x1

and around 80k weekend riding.

... aiming for Alpe d'Huez on a standard double in the summer and still need to shift 5kg. It would help matters if I could stop midweek drinking/weekend smoking. . .
    :roll:
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    It's interesting that so many people just do weekend rides and their commute. When I was commuting full-time, and doing weekend rides, I didn't find I was getting that fit, so I started going to the gym, and latterly rowing. I found after that that I enjoyed the cycling a good deal more, because I was fitter.

Now that I'm working from home, and frankly have had a very lazy winter, I've started getting out on leisure rides a lot more after I've started back at the gym.

So, in my case, fitness leads to cycling more, which leads to more fitness and so on. However, it seems I can also get into laziness spirals...

I was interested to know if it's just me, and it seems like it might be!

Maybe not stopping the commute is, in fact, the answer. Ah well.
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    I seem to get by doing a meagre 8 mile per day commute and a 5-a-side usually twice a week.

Considering the booze intake I feel quite blessed.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Commute + weekend rides + hillwalking a couple of times a month
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    commute, weekend/weekday rides, referee football
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    NGale wrote:
    You need to get your blo00dy eyes tested.

(I have no basis for this, but it seems like a reasonable assumption).
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,365
    The referee's a w..........woman?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    NGale wrote:
    You need to get your blo00dy eyes tested.

(I have no basis for this, but it seems like a reasonable assumption).

well I do wear glasses ;)
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men