50 miles around Stirling - route ideas?

monkeyjo
monkeyjo Posts: 54
I'm back home in bonny Scotland for Easter this weekend and hoping to do 50 miles on Sunday morning (forecast looking ok at the moment). Can anyone recommend me a good route? I'll be starting in Cambusbarron.

Ta.

Comments

• scapaslow
    scapaslow Posts: 305
    Head west to Arnprior, Port of Menteith, Callander then to Aberfoyle (via Dukes Pass the easy way). Come back via Thornhill? Prob about 50m.

Being Easter weekend the Trossachs might be busy with tourists but if your early it should be OK. On the plus side all the cafe's are now open :)
  • monkeyjo
    Cool, thanks. I'll plot a route on googlemaps and see how long it is.

Ta!
  • monkeyjo
    scapaslow wrote:
    Head west to Arnprior, Port of Menteith, Callander then to Aberfoyle (via Dukes Pass the easy way). Come back via Thornhill? Prob about 50m.

Being Easter weekend the Trossachs might be busy with tourists but if your early it should be OK. On the plus side all the cafe's are now open :)

I always thought the A811 would be a bit scary to cycle along. Is it ok generally?
  • monkeyjo
    Route plotted - 51.6 miles. That's pretty damn good!
  • psychle
    psychle Posts: 83
    or head South over the Tak Ma Doon and back over the Crow road...?
    http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/CV-orbital
    Shorter but maybe quieter, traffic-wise.

The A811 gets noticeably less busy as you move away from Stirling. Choose your route direction according to the wind so that it's helping you along the A811.
    There's a back road leading into Gargunnock which you could use to avoid more of it, but the surface is pretty poor in places.
    And the roads around Shielbrae are also worth avoiding.

"Like a pig towing a cart-load of sausages - I draw my own conclusions"
  • Hi there.

If you like hills - here's my favourite 50 mile hilly loop from Stirling:

http://connect.garmin.com/player/5561811

Earl's Hill, Carron Valley, Tak Me Doon, Crow Road and Earl's Hill again. You'll see very little traffic anywhere on this route, except for the short section through Kilsyth and Queenzieburn.

49.85miles, 6,295ft elevation gain - enjoy!

Cheers, Andy
  • Ha! Just noticed that I forgot to press stop for 20 minutes after getting off the bike after that ride... My garmin is wrist mounted, so you get 20 minutes of me wandering around my house with a faint satellite signal...
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Also you could head out east through the Hillfoots and over the Ochils either via Glendevon or Dunning Glen, then left at Gleneagles hotel and across to Braco, on to Greenloaning, cross the A9 and come back over the Ochils via Sherriffmuir. Descend into Dunblane and back to Stirling via Bridge of Allan. About 50 miles and 2500 feet of climbing (81 km, 800 m).

The loops west and south are definitely nicer though!

If you can manage a ride round Loch Katrine, it is a great workout as it is very lumpy, but also incredibly scenic. Riding out from Stirling and looping round Loch Katrine would be a massive ride, but you could also drive to Aberfoyle and start from there - up over the Duke's Pass to get warmed up :D
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • DaveyL
    monkeyjo wrote:
    scapaslow wrote:

I always thought the A811 would be a bit scary to cycle along. Is it ok generally?

I've found that road to be OK, though the traffic does go pretty fast. I was up there visiting the folks last week and got out a few times - maybe it was just me but the traffic both on the Dumbarton Road and the Doune road in general gave me a lot of room when they were passing. It made me wonder if there has been some sort of Mark Beaumont/Chris Hoy effect north of the Border!
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • DaveyL
    scapaslow wrote:

Last summer I came across what looked like a cracking cafe on the shores of Loch Venachar on that road from Callander to Brig O' Turk: http://www.venachar-lochside.co.uk/
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • monkeyjo
    Thanks everyone. Now I just need to pick one!

I'm tempted to go with Andrew's suggestion, mostly because I can start from Cambusbarron and there won't be much/any traffic. But if the traffic's not that bad for cyclists on Dumbarton road then I might give it a go. The last time I cycled down Dumbarton road I was 10 and I was fine then!

At least I've got a few ideas now for when I come back up again. I'll let you all know what I eventually do.
  • scapaslow
    scapaslow Posts: 305
    Not trying to influence you here but...

The Carron Valley loop is a nice ride but the road surfaces are very poor in many places. The Earls Hill climb is a long hard climb. Last time i did it i met a herd of highland cattle who did not want to move off the road. It is extremely quiet in terms of traffic. You'll also need to cycle from Kilsyth to Lennoxtown on a fairly busy A road before the Crow Rd, which is a great climb.

IMO the only main road to be avoided in the area is the A84 which is always very busy. I cycled the A811 Dumbarton rd last Sunday around 10am and it was very quiet. There are quite a few B roads criss crossing the area so you would not need to be on this road for any great length of time. As you are planning a morning ride you shouldn't have any problems.

Enjoy whatever route you take.