Graham Watson

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited March 2010 in Pro race
In light of David Millar's interview in Cycle Sport last month, this really proves Mr Watson is not quite in touch with reality

http://photos.grahamwatson.com/RaceUpda ... 4841_EBZhd
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Yeah, 'mate' is the wrong word....call it "complex"!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Good picture for a caption comp. Millar's face is a gem!
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    Watson obviously knows which side his bread is buttered - earns dosh from photos featuring Armstrong, probably gets exclusive shots also and likes to keep on his good side. Armstrong seems to do no wrong in his eyes it seems, the Cycle Sport stuff he does a the moment is a bit of an Armstrong brown-nose fest and a bit unfomfortable to read for those that don't partake of his love-in.
  • jim one
    jim one Posts: 183
    iainf72 wrote:
    In light of David Millar's interview in Cycle Sport last month, this really proves Mr Watson is not quite in touch with reality

Could you give a quick run down on what was said in the interview about Armstrong please??
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Interesting body language - Armstrong looking very dominant with the aggressive angle of the head and hand thrust out. Millar looks very uncomfortable, arm across his body and hand not offered.....
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    iainf72 wrote:

What does it prove other than Watson takes a good photograph ?
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • moray_gub
    andyrr wrote:
    Watson obviously knows which side his bread is buttered - earns dosh from photos featuring Armstrong, probably gets exclusive shots also and likes to keep on his good side. Armstrong seems to do no wrong in his eyes it seems, the Cycle Sport stuff he does a the moment is a bit of an Armstrong brown-nose fest and a bit unfomfortable to read for those that don't partake of his love-in.

uncomfortable ? :lol: you do know he is a official photographer of at least one of the teams .........horrendous so it is !.............horrendous !
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    jim one wrote:
    Could you give a quick run down on what was said in the interview about Armstrong please??

"There was no direct conflict with Armstrong. He doesnt say anything bad about us but he avoids the subject" Millar says

"We've had an interesting time - been friends, drifted apart, it's been odd for us. He's not very keen on JV. Lance puts things in bpoxes and as soon as it became clear I got on well with JV I was put in the JV box"
    "I enjoy chatting to Lance. But we've got too much history. Yeah. No..." Millar trailed off.

From Ed Pickerings excellent interview with DM in last months cyclesport
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • jim one
    jim one Posts: 183
    iainf72 wrote:
    jim one wrote:

"There was no direct conflict with Armstrong. He doesnt say anything bad about us but he avoids the subject" Millar says

"We've had an interesting time - been friends, drifted apart, it's been odd for us. He's not very keen on JV. Lance puts things in bpoxes and as soon as it became clear I got on well with JV I was put in the JV box"
    "I enjoy chatting to Lance. But we've got too much history. Yeah. No..." Millar trailed off.

From Ed Pickerings excellent interview with DM in last months cyclesport

Ah, interesting but also not a surprise! Thanks for the summary.
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    I find Watson intetesting. As an ex pro photographer who shot solely for agencies, picture desks and clients, expressly sport stuff, occasionally, you come across a photographer/hack who wants to be everyones mate. I saw it all the time. I once saw a photographer high five substitutes warming up on the touchline at a premier football game. Sad. The job of a good photographer is to document other peoples lives, not live it in fantasy.

This is endemic of what I see and moreso read in his column. He is a good photographer within the realms of what he does, but tends to wheel out the same pictures time and time again. That said and pun aside, you cant really reinvent the wheel.....
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    I find Watson intetesting. As an ex pro photographer who shot solely for agencies, picture desks and clients, expressly sport stuff, occasionally, you come across a photographer/hack who wants to be everyones mate. I saw it all the time. I once saw a photographer high five substitutes warming up on the touchline at a premier football game. Sad. The job of a good photographer is to document other peoples lives, not live it in fantasy.

This is endemic of what I see and moreso read in his column. He is a good photographer within the realms of what he does, but tends to wheel out the same pictures time and time again. That said and pun aside, you cant really reinvent the wheel.....

I agree. I've never really seen what the big deal is with Watson's photos. They're good. But that's about as far as I'd go.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • ynyswen24
    ynyswen24 Posts: 703
    There are a lot of cycling photographers as good as Watson, some better. His work is bread and butter reportage. Tim de Waelle is better at that.
    However, I cannot think of another photographer who is so obsessed with photos of riders taking a leak off the bike...
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    "To answer some pointed questions: Lance came here to train and did just that; Alberto came here to win and lost - hope that clears stuff up." http://twitter.com/grahamwatson10/statuses/11204699846

Ass.
  • csp
    csp Posts: 777
    ynyswen24 wrote:
    There are a lot of cycling photographers as good as Watson, some better. His work is bread and butter reportage. Tim de Waelle is better at that.
    However, I cannot think of another photographer who is so obsessed with photos of riders taking a leak off the bike...

You mean "stopping for an early call of nature" :D
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    AndyRubio wrote:
    "To answer some pointed questions: Lance came here to train and did just that; Alberto came here to win and lost - hope that clears stuff up." http://twitter.com/grahamwatson10/statuses/11204699846

Ass.

Good god, how does even he even manage to take any photos at all with his head rammed that far up Armstrong's arse?
  • moray_gub
    dulldave wrote:

I agree. I've never really seen what the big deal is with Watson's photos. They're good. But that's about as far as I'd go.

I agree with that I think he is a good photographer takes good pix like many do .I just dont see why folk get so hung up about a photographer .
  • moray_gub
    afx237vi wrote:
    AndyRubio wrote:

Ass.

Good god, how does even he even manage to take any photos at all with his head rammed that far up Armstrong's ars*?

Whether you dislike him or not he is bang on the money with that is he not ?
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Moray Gub wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    AndyRubio wrote:

Ass.

Good god, how does even he even manage to take any photos at all with his head rammed that far up Armstrong's ars*?

Without wanting to turn all Frenchfighter, he is correct, because Alberto doesn't enter races to train. It's not the message I object to, per se, but the tone it's delivered in.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    Moray Gub wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    AndyRubio wrote:

Ass.

It's an odd spin on a basic fact: Contador finished plenty faster than Armstrong.
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    Extrapolate to July and just how much further ahead is Contador then? Both rode the TT flat out and AC was 3" a km faster - and it's still only March :wink:
  • Slapshot
    Slapshot Posts: 211
    Watson's another in the Armstrong trough and as such Armstrong will use him as a mouthpiece, give him a juicy quote he'll spread the word.... It's all spin, if Armstrong had twittered," I came to CI to train, I did that, AC came to win....." it reads a whole lot different, another mouthpiece!!
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    Have to say I used to like Graham Watson, and the book I have of his on the 80's TDF is quality. However, him being in the pay pocket of LA is grim, sure I don't doubt it'll help pay more than just the morgage, but do we need his LA is god and everything in pro cycling has always been rosey :?: :evil: A bit more detachment from the riders (LA in particular) wouldn't go amiss.
  • moray_gub
    Moray Gub wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    AndyRubio wrote:

Ass.

It's an odd spin on a basic fact: Contador finished plenty faster than Armstrong.

Which backs up what he is saying regarding AC being there to win.
  • moray_gub
    micron wrote:
    Extrapolate to July and just how much further ahead is Contador then? Both rode the TT flat out and AC was 3" a km faster - and it's still only March :wink:

Lots of things can happen between now and then of course not that i think LA has a sniff of wiinning the Tour.
  • moray_gub
    eh wrote:
    Have to say I used to like Graham Watson, and the book I have of his on the 80's TDF is quality. However, him being in the pay pocket of LA is grim, sure I don't doubt it'll help pay more than just the morgage, but do we need his LA is god and everything in pro cycling has always been rosey :?: :evil: A bit more detachment from the riders (LA in particular) wouldn't go amiss.

I always find it hugely ironic when the main thrust of a posters opinion is to express displeasure about somebody else doing the same.
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    As you've just done yourself ... irony within irony.
    biggrin.gif
  • moray_gub
    AndyRubio wrote:
    As you've just done yourself ... irony within irony.
    biggrin.gif

You would have a point if i was expressing displeasure at him expressing an opinion but as i am not doing that your point in not valid. So no irony.
  • I think with any creative job done over a long period of time – photographing, writing, commentating – you develop a number of stock solutions to problems that you know will work. Anyone can have a moment of singular inspiration once in while, but how do you deliver the goods day after day, week after week for a career?
  • le_patron
    le_patron Posts: 493
    Slapshot wrote:
    .... It's all spin

There's the truth.

I get the impression he's increasingly battle weary, but he's on one last campaign and needs to see it through in July. The foot soldiers are doing their thing for him, and although he’s learnt that digs at AC don’t really work, sometimes a situation presents itself. LA wouldn’t miss an opportunity to spin anything that happens at a build up race into a propaganda victory, whether direct from him or not. Probably quite satisfying considering all the gags about him desperately scanning the race calendar for an alternative once AC decided to ride (the World Track Champs option did made me chuckle).