48 miles into half century, and I completely bonked today

2»

Comments

• sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    dennisn wrote:
    sampras38 wrote:
    acidstrato wrote:
    yes but who is saying that 1 500ml bottle of engery drink doesnt already supply a sufficient amount. I dont know actual values so dont quote me or nothing. Just saying that perhaps 1 bottle is enough and a 2nd bottle that is just water is suitable. Works fine for me up to 60odd miles. I'm watching from a weight loss pov tho

If you have to worry about getting too many calories from energy drinks, my guess is you're probably eating too much.

Or drinking too much in the way of energy drinks. I only say that because I'm a big believer in real food, not sugary drinks and candy bars under the guise of food.

Me too, and the only energy drink I'll use is Hi-5, because I can get it relatively cheaply, they use it on loads of sportives and I'm used to the flavour. As for real food, yes, I tend to get 90% of my on the bike carbs from real and often home-made food. Once in a while I'll use Mule or Clif bars but not that often.
  • sampras38
    acidstrato wrote:
    sampras38 wrote:
    acidstrato wrote:
    yes but who is saying that 1 500ml bottle of engery drink doesnt already supply a sufficient amount. I dont know actual values so dont quote me or nothing. Just saying that perhaps 1 bottle is enough and a 2nd bottle that is just water is suitable. Works fine for me up to 60odd miles. I'm watching from a weight loss pov tho

If you have to worry about getting too many calories from energy drinks, my guess is you're probably eating too much.

i probably do but I'm still losing weight so i dont really give 2 fucks what I eat, not that it has anything to do with what we were talking about, I mentioned weightloss because wheres the point consuming an extra drink that might not be required. Put a 50mile ride into perspective, 3hrs on average? 2.5 if flat..I dont know at what rate electrolytes are lost through sweat but 2.5-3hrs cycling is not enough for me to warrant the requirement for 2 energy drinks.

as i posted previously, 50mile ride i'll take an energy drink, a banana and maybe small chocolate bar( not always) and that gets me through no problems

That sort of language wasn't really necessary was it? It was you who brought up watching how many calories are in the drinks, not me.

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    sampras38 wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    sampras38 wrote:
    acidstrato wrote:

Or drinking too much in the way of energy drinks. I only say that because I'm a big believer in real food, not sugary drinks and candy bars under the guise of food.

Me too, and the only energy drink I'll use is Hi-5, because I can get it relatively cheaply, they use it on loads of sportives and I'm used to the flavour. As for real food, yes, I tend to get 90% of my on the bike carbs from real and often home-made food. Once in a while I'll use Mule or Clif bars but not that often.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound like an *sshole. That happens a lot to me. Go figure. I'm as cynical and sarcastic as anyone at times. Drives my wife nuts. Be sure to take me with a grain of salt(you can get that with real food) :oops: :oops: .
  • sampras38
    dennisn wrote:
    sampras38 wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    sampras38 wrote:
    acidstrato wrote:

Sorry, didn't mean to sound like an *sshole. That happens a lot to me. Go figure. I'm as cynical and sarcastic as anyone at times. Drives my wife nuts. Be sure to take me with a grain of salt(you can get that with real food) :oops: :oops: .

Don't worry, no offence taken.

;-)
  • acidstrato
    acidstrato Posts: 945
    i apologise, but at the same time i feel i was making a good point and it seems dennisn is on my wavelength

the point being that if the added sugar content from a 2nd energy isnt required then replacing it with water simply to keep one hydrated during a workout is fine. I just half expected some factual based info to prove me wrong as opposed to a slight dig at watching the approx 99-150calories from another drink
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • sampras38
    acidstrato wrote:
    i apologise, but at the same time i feel i'm making a good point and it seems dennisn is on my wavelength

the point being that if the added sugar content from a 2nd energy isnt required then replacing it with water simply to keep one hydrated during a workout is fine. I just half expect some factual based info to prove me wrong as opposed to a slight dig at watching the approx 99-150calories from another drink

I don't need to prove you wrong, You're just some text on a flippin bike forum. All I really care about is my own performance, no one elses. I'd like to think I know a little about nutrition, which includes a lifetime interest in fitness and a sports science degree, but who cares. Just do your own thing...I do.

;-)
  • acidstrato
    acidstrato Posts: 945
    sampras38 wrote:
    acidstrato wrote:
    i apologise, but at the same time i feel i'm making a good point and it seems dennisn is on my wavelength

the point being that if the added sugar content from a 2nd energy isnt required then replacing it with water simply to keep one hydrated during a workout is fine. I just half expect some factual based info to prove me wrong as opposed to a slight dig at watching the approx 99-150calories from another drink

I don't need to prove you wrong, You're just some text on a flippin bike forum. All I really care about is my own performance, no one elses. I'd like to think I know a little about nutrition, which includes a lifetime interest in fitness and a sports science degree, but who cares. Just do your own thing...I do.

;-)

thats fair enough, and I will continue to do my own thing as I have done. curious though, all this debate, and yet on the first page you stated you did a hilly 60miles with a single energy drink and a blackcurrent drink. You even stated one should be well covered for 48 miles. strange

anyway time for a spinning session on the turbo
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • sampras38
    acidstrato wrote:
    sampras38 wrote:
    acidstrato wrote:

;-)

thats fair enough, and I will continue to do my own thing as I have done. curious though, all this debate, and yet on the first page you stated you did a hilly 60miles with a single energy drink and a blackcurrent drink. You even stated one should be well covered for 48 miles. strange

anyway time for a spinning session on the turbo

Well, for starters I was riding the 60 miles on my own and pretty much as hard as I could, with a variety of hill repeats thrown in too. So after 2 odd hours my glycogen stores were pretty much empty. I knew I wasn't going to be out long enough for solids to convert to energy, so a carb drink and a banana was sufficient. The blackcurrent/water mix was additional and I used half the 750ml.

And this is strange to you why?
  • gazeds
    gazeds Posts: 182
    i do three 2 hour runs a week and never take anything with me for the simple reason i,d always bring a full bottle home with me, so whats the point in haulin it fo 30 to 40 miles. :wink:
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    acidstrato wrote:
    Rapha wrote:

use energy drinks instead of water (water has no substance to it whatsoever)

perhaps this statement should come with a health warning. Energy drinks are high cal drinks while water has no calories. Therefore use energy drinks to prevent bonking, but if you dont need to then theres not much point taking 2 with you as your just filling yourself with extra carbs and costing money using supps when you dont require it.

Water still rehydrates you which makes it vitally important

I'm only saying this incase its not required, not that its not required for some

Agree, its stupid not to intake any water as you will sweat and dehydrate, take carbs yes but water is essential (are you riding at granny pace to not require water?).
  • 3h1ma
    3h1ma Posts: 6
    I recommend 1 BPM (banana per mile)

Sorts me out, it's the reason I can overtake cars on 10% climbs whilst giving them the "look"

It's also responsible for my awesomeness too 8)