The ignorance of my fellow Pentland riders!

13»

Comments

• 101_North
    101_North Posts: 607
    Only recently started cycling in the Pentlands but so far found them OK. Usually head up on my own as my mates are all too lazy! Great for sorting out my fitness and inexperience anyway! I'm based in Currie and usually head up Poets Glen and then make up a route once I'm up - usually back tracking on myself and wandering down paths, breaks in tress etc. looking for something new. I've discovered most of the trails talked about on here and discovered most of the steep climbs! Not sure why but I seem to get more satisfaction from tackling a difficult climb than bombing down a descent - no matter how much it kills me! I think my favourite run so far is to Nine Mile Burn.

Always found most others cyclists to be OK although there have been a few exceptional knobbers - but you get them everywhere! On the whole most people - dog walkers and hikers included - have been grand.

I'll make sure and say hi to every cyclist I meet now :-)

• cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    this might help...same map you were tlaking about nw?

clicky
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • anton1r
    anton1r Posts: 272
    Well played cee, that's handy looking!
    Wonder if I can get my hands on that pentlands.kmz file.
    "I have a plan, a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a fox." (from the Blackadder TV series)
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    That's teh feller. Or an older version of it I think. Good find! Still some on there I've not done.

See if you go down the east side, what's marked as Dreghorn Drop and The Field... I guess there's no way back west other than to climb straight back up where you came down or to drop into colinton? Never really been over that side myself. It looks on the satellite shot kind of like there's field paths that could lead back over to Bonaly car park...
    Uncompromising extremist
  • stanfree
    stanfree Posts: 58
    Northwind I went down Dreghorn drop yesterday and Its really eroded with gaps of up to 2 feet in the middle which makes it tricky but fun to go down. You then go through a field and then a step climb towards bonaly If you double back halfway up then push up the hill to the left you come out at the downhill tracks at the top of the woods. Yesterday up the Pentlands was amazing the reservoir looked stunning and there was plenty of bikers out. Heading back up tommorow as well .[/img]
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Ah, now that sounds good, it always seems a shame to blow off so much altitude down puke hill, even though it is kind of fun :lol: (I'm always kind of terrified of forgetting where the one big ditch is on the path down the side and steaming into it at 30mph :lol: ) I'll check that out, cheers!
    Uncompromising extremist