The ignorance of my fellow Pentland riders!

Comments

• cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    i don't get the whole miserable edinburgh folks thing....

I have never experienced it....but maybe my smiling face and glowing attitude, kinda rubs off on folks.

I live in edinburgh, but I have not been here born and bred.....so even coming from outside edinburgh...i just dont get it.

Lots of people have said similar things, but it is not my experience.

Pentlands - dont think i have ever felt that people were miserable to me...however, i don't expect everyone to say hello back...
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • RichMTB
    RichMTB Posts: 599
    Aye, some of the ferals in Glasgow can be vcious to eachother but no more than most places and and at least they do it with a smile and a nice wee chat.
    In edinburgh they do it with a briefcase and steal your house, your pension and liveliihood... Give me the neds anyday at least they didn't bankrupt an entiire economy haha

But aye the eastend's stats are quite grim but a short happy life may be better than a long miserable life and hopefully us cycling weegies will have a long and happy life

Glasgow: the own the city in the world where the locals stab you and then offer directions to the hospital!
    Step in to my hut! - Stumpy Jumpy Pacey
  • Sodfoster wrote:
    After completing a really enjoyable 25km loop of the Pentlands this morning. I came away with a really sad conclusion that the majority of my fellow riders are ignorant f**kers (pardon the french!). In total I passed approx 10-15 riders and in total 3 returned my friendly "alright" or "morning"!! At one point I was forced off the track because two oncoming miserable knobs took both lines of the trail. Was there a "thanks" or "cheers" as I let them pass? was there bollocks!

I usually only expect this treatment from roadies! The joggers, dog walkers and crag rats are all friendly enough!

This has got to be one of the only places I every go riding where fellow riders are not remotely friendly! I guess it must be that Edinburgh is the only southern city in the north!

Seriously what are peoples problems up here, why ride with an attitude? Does it really hurt to say hello?

Rant over, thanks for listening.

Cheers

Might have seen you but memory is a bit hazy now. If so did definitley say hello, even if only quietly. I don't go up there often but noticed on Sunday that most walkers seemed cheery enough.

Happy to join any planned runs - should be able to do evenings soon with the change of clocks?
  • Sodfoster
    Sodfoster Posts: 412
    [/quote]

Happy to join any planned runs - should be able to do evenings soon with the change of clocks?[/quote]

Aye sounds good, I'll give you a shout when Im up there next!. This bloody snow forecast is not gonna help though!
    Dawes Tamark DX (RIP)

Cube Acid 2010 (RIP)

Saracen Zen 3 (RIP)

Giant Anthem X5

CdF

The whole white bike thing was just coincedence........
  • Attitude works in both directions. If you expect others to be anti it will probably show in your own body language. People instinctively recognise aggression.

Only a minority are truly 'misreable pillocks!' Biking is similar to driving - if you ease down and smile on approach to difficult passing places, only a few will react in a hostile way.

I make a point of waving to roadies when on the tarmac, and many seem genuinely surprised as they wave back.Who really is to blame for any divide?

As in many sports, those who see themselves as superior hotshots will carry the sneering at lesser riders as part of their baggage. I just inwardly smile. Disillusionment will come to them soon enough!
  • .blitz wrote:
    Lots of smiling happy faces on Cannock Chase at the weekend.

Apart from one moustachioed flat-capped tw&t who thought it would be a larf to let his sheepdog run at me. I cogged it up, took a firm grip on the bars and went for it. The mutt's nose was literally 10 cm from my front wheel before it baled. I made sure I was less than 10 cm from its f*ckwit owner as I went past.

I'm sure we saw him too, on Sunday, him and said mutt were Ok though as he was by the trout pools and the geese were out so he had dog on a lead.

Talking about dogs on leads, i've got a great disliking to the really long exteneding ones...almost been clotheslined by one when a mad dog came running across our path.(Owner did have his back turned but FFS two mtb's coming up behind isnt exactly quiet)

Spent a good 30 mins up by Tackeroo camp site though with a random in a small jump section we happened to come across. Seemed a nice bloke....good technique too.

I found the Demo day was full of idiots who thought they owned the trails though!!!
    4 wheels bad
    2 wheels good
    1 wheel for fun
  • stanfree
    stanfree Posts: 58
    Must admit the first few times I did the Pentlands loop I found it quite unfriendly , but the last couple of times Ive been there Ive struck up a few conversations with fellow bikers but they tend to have been kina newbies like me. Gt on the other hand is normally really friendly but possibly more to do with it being reasonably compact by that I mean a couple of hours on the red route will give you more thrills than a four hour session at the Pentlands. Dont get me wrong Im NOT knocking the Pentlands as by reading posts on here and Singletrack there does seem like a lot of decent Edinburgh bikers in good organised rides.
  • Been doing the pentlands for about 8 yrs now, generally find peeps pretty friendly - don't see much of a problem -just the occasional grumpy chap.

Most folks are ok if you exchange a wee bit of chat with them.

Lasses are often quite chirpy!

:D
  • Hi Liam,

we ride up there regularly from the shop, usually wed nights etc. Of course you are more than welcome to come along. We operate a 'no heros' policy, all welcome and a relaxed pace. Faster people just have to wait at the next gate type thing.

If you are interested just keep an eye on our facebook page or give us a shout to find out when/make us go out etc.

Cheers

Mark
  • Hi Liam,

we ride up there regularly from the shop, usually wed nights etc. Of course you are more than welcome to come along. We operate a 'no heros' policy, all welcome and a relaxed pace. Faster people just have to wait at the next gate type thing.

If you are interested just keep an eye on our facebook page or give us a shout to find out when/make us go out etc.

Cheers

Mark
  • Sodfoster
    Cheers Mark

I'll keep a look out for this! Especially now the nights are getting lighter!

BTW I need a new outer chain ring so Ill be popping in soon.

I Had a slip on Sat which involved me sliding my bike (and myself) along the floor into the biggest rock I could find (as you do!). The rest of my ride was spent riding with the chain ring at a right angle (no recommended!).
    Dawes Tamark DX (RIP)

Cube Acid 2010 (RIP)

Saracen Zen 3 (RIP)

Giant Anthem X5

CdF

• Gosh Sodfoster - I'm surprised at the reaction you got. I ride there regularly (but not weekends) and my greeting are usually returned by all and nearly always by mtbers. Maybe just bad luck. If you see me you're guaranteed a cheery hello (unless I'm going up Puke Hill!).
  • . Maybe just bad luck If you see me you're guaranteed a cheery hello (unless I'm going up Puke Hill!).

That name amused me. :wink:

Where is it - are you talking about the final tarmac hill leading to the Pentlands from Balerno (Beech Avenue) or perhaps Maidens Cleuch?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Puke Hill is the straight track up (it's ALWAYS up) from Bonaly car park to Bonaly reservoir. Not actually as bad as some people reckon but the section through the plantation is pure evil, and then there's a bit of an endless drag afterwards once you're already done in.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind wrote:
    Puke Hill is the straight track up (it's ALWAYS up) from Bonaly car park to Bonaly reservoir. Not actually as bad as some people reckon but the section through the plantation is pure evil, and then there's a bit of an endless drag afterwards once you're already done in.

I know it. Tough hill. Slipping on the gravel makes it tougher!

Beech Avenue is a bit steeper, albeit it's tarmac so you won't slip unless it's covered in snow. Doing rather long steep rocky climb from Eastside Farm back to Balerno can be hellish if you haven't been on the bike for a while! It's all good though! :D
  • Northwind
    Hmm, the section just before the gate, in the plantations, always seems steeper than beech avenue (or "exponential hill" as we used to call it :lol: )- seems to be harder work keeping the wheel down on puke hill. But then steepness is all in the mind, could be wrong...
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind wrote:
    Hmm, the section just before the gate, in the plantations, always seems steeper than beech avenue (or "exponential hill" as we used to call it :lol: )- seems to be harder work keeping the wheel down on puke hill. But then steepness is all in the mind, could be wrong...

Probably not much in it steepness wise, although I often spin the rear wheel on the gravel at Bonaly (45psi !).
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    That's weird, I'm here in South Wales, and I either say nothing or me/other person says hello, I have never had someone say hi to me and I wouldn't say something back, or have me say something to them and they don't say anything, its just never happened to me.
  • anton1r
    anton1r Posts: 272
    Nice, a proper thread on the Pentland's... Was there a few times last summer/autumn. Seen a few MTBs who were mostly a friendly enough bunch. Just curious what loops/routes people take through the hills?

http://download.edinburgh.gov.uk/Pentlands/Pentland_Map5.5_RGB_Low_Res2.pdf

Looking at the link above, we usually start at Harlaw, come past the reservoirs, up towards Bavelaw castle (that's the aforementioned Beech Avenue right?), then it's between the hills towards Howlets house then down past Loganlea reservoir and at Glencorse reservoir turn off at the corner and go up between the Bell's Hill and Harbour Hill to return back to Harlaw.

Anyone got any advice for a better/longer/more fun Pentlands loop?

Also Hihi to all in the forum. 8)
    "I have a plan, a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a fox." (from the Blackadder TV series)
  • stanfree
    stanfree Posts: 58
    Hi Anton , I normally start at flotterstone and do it in reverse that way your down the wooded tree line track at Bavelaw also the drop to Flotterstone is my favourite part of the Pentlands. That said I recently found the nail trail and mucked about round by Bonaly . Also park at Castlelwa and take the hill over the top then the drop down to Dreghorn which is pretty eroded and tricky and a taste for your brakes the only drawback there is a fairly boring climb alongside the bypass to Bonaly . Still never seen Poets glen yet but Ill get there.
    Tempted by the offer of joining a wednesday night ride with the regulars to find some hidden gems.
  • Sodfoster
    anton1r wrote:

Looking at the link above, we usually start at Harlaw, come past the reservoirs, up towards Bavelaw castle (that's the aforementioned Beech Avenue right?), then it's between the hills towards Howlets house then down past Loganlea reservoir and at Glencorse reservoir turn off at the corner and go up between the Bell's Hill and Harbour Hill to return back to Harlaw.

Anyone got any advice for a better/longer/more fun Pentlands loop?

Also Hihi to all in the forum. 8)

I usually do the same loop though I start at Glencorse car park and do the big hill first! On Monday I did it in reverse a found it much more fun!!

Also on Monday I bumped into 3 other bikers and stopped and chatted with all 3!! Well impressed!!
    Dawes Tamark DX (RIP)

Cube Acid 2010 (RIP)

Saracen Zen 3 (RIP)

Giant Anthem X5

CdF

• My regular route is "Glencorse" ie Balerno, Harlaw Road, up towards Maiden's Cleuch which leads to Glencorse Reservoir (bombing down Maiden's Cleuch is great fun- rocky shale at speed!) Then along tarmac road alongside Loganlea Reservor (away from Flotterson) towards the waterfall, then down Beech Avenue (in which case you're doing 42mph down rather than 4 or 5 mph up it! Then back to Balerno.

All, great fun, but my fave route is Balerno to Ninemileburn - where you are genuinely going over the tops of the grassy hills - the track's barely visible. It's just you and the odd sheep (c'm ere Bessy!!...........) :D Eastside Farm is the toughest climb in the area IMHO.
  • anton1r
    Good stuff lads... I might have to give the reverse loop a try when i'm next up there and maybe one of those Flotterston routes. Cheers :D
    "I have a plan, a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a fox." (from the Blackadder TV series)
  • Note Flotterston also has a pub! :D
  • Northwind
    Hmm, since this thread's about ignorant pentlands riders, wtf is up with the idiots who keep on riding the damaged, waterlogged trails? It's pretty bloody obvious that nail trail, middle pistachio way and black hill, and some bits on the nibbler, should be off limits when they're wet, they just end up completely trashed but there's always some fanny off down them. Fair play, some people don't know better, but a lot do and do it anyway. And then say that mud is part of the fun. Sure it is but not when it leaves a swamp where there was a ribbon.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Agreed. I got off as I started to climb Maiden's Cleuch heading up from Flotterston way today.

Most certainly was not due to the fact I couldn't stop the rear wheel spinning/have only just started going out again this year!...............well, maybe! :oops: :D
  • anton1r
    Northwind wrote:
    ... nail trail, middle pistachio way and black hill, and some bits on the nibbler, ...

I just realised ive no idea not even the foggiest, where you mean by "nail trail" "middle pistachio way" and "nibbler" ... care to enlighten me? please. :?: :?
  • Northwind
    Sorry, I was in singletrackworld mode! Just names of trails, you might already know them. Lessee...

Pistachio Way is easy to find on a map, if you start at currie and go due south up the Kirkgate- big evil tarmac climb that goes past the kirk- right to the top then instead of turning at the top go straight on up the dirt track, after a while you reach a small pine wood on the left, look for the trailhead right near the start of the woods. Nice wee trail, runs up parallel to the dirt track but it's got horrible drainage so the middle bit's really delicate, and right now it's ****ed. I'm trying to get permission from the rangers and the landowner to reroute it :lol: But the top and bottom are cool, and reasonably weatherproof.

There's a nice wee trail that runs down from the top of the kirkgate to the water of leith, called Poet's Glen or the Glenburn trail depending on how old you are :lol: Starting from the same junction of kirkgate and the dirt track that leads further into the hills, go east (left as you face the hills down the road there, watch out for the signpost on the left, down at the bottom of the slope just before the farm. (at the bottom of the trail turn right on the road then left onto the stairs to get down to the water of leith via some former death steps. And also, if you carry on past that signpost instead of going down Poet's Glen, when you get to the farm double back and go down the right of the farm onto another dirt road, which leads you round to a reservoir whose name I forget and then to Bonaly. So it all joins up nicely.

Nail Trail's a signposted public footpath that runs up from the back side of Balerno up to East Riggs, near to Threipmuir reservoir. So named because the locals sometimes leave boards with nails through them on it :roll: Nice extended singletrack with 2 possible routes but again, bikes tear it up very badly in winter, when the ground's hard it's lovely.

The Nibbler is, er, possibly supposed to be a secret but it's the worst kept secret in the world if it is. PM me if you want details, you'd find it anyway soon enough if you just wander around near bonaly. Short downhill/jumpy trail, quite fun but whoever built it loves their steeps so it's very short.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • anton1r
    I think I've got all those. Are these mapped anywhere? ie is there something i can get hold of that details loops etc in the Pentlands?

Cheers.
  • Northwind
    Not that I know of... There was a really good google map but I think it was taken down.
    Uncompromising extremist